Author Topic: Meteobridge and VWS  (Read 2482 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Meteobridge and VWS
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
Since I decided to switch over my weather reporting to Meteobridge (I was tired of Microsoft Updates restarting my computer while I was away from home), I have had MANY problems.

One of them is VWS.  It hasn't worked well or reliably since I switched from my direct serial interface data (Davis data logger plugged directly into desktop) to TCIP reporting.

It restarts, just quits, seems very unstable.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Or does anyone with this clunky software have any settings troubleshooting to suggest?

I only use VWS because it downloads historical data to my PC hard drive.  I like the notion of having this data myself instead of letting the cloud handle it.  I have been told that I can download the historical data from Meteobridge if I choose to do so (If I can manage to keep Meteobridge running, that hasn't gone too well either)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Meteobridge and VWS
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »
What are your issues that stops Meteobridge from running?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »
What are your issues that stops Meteobridge from running?

Big problems.  The TP Link router crashes daily.  Unacceptable.  It has to be unplugged from power and restarted.  After which it runs FINE!  Great in fact, until later in the day it suddenly just stops again. 
I would download new drivers, but no, it's flashed with meteobridge.  I have installed backwards compatible hub for USB 1.0.  I swapped data logger cables to Belfry Boy (to Davis monitor).
All that's left is to give up on the TP Link box.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:06:22 PM »
So do you think it is the TP-Link (specifically)? Could this be caused by your ISP and/or network/computer environment? Never had a TP-Link crash but this is with WLIP, have one left running that was started July 2015 (still running July 2015 firmware) and still running today. Will replace this one with a MBPro Black shortly simply for the fact that the MBPro is more purpose built.   

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »
So do you think it is the TP-Link (specifically)? Could this be caused by your ISP and/or network/computer environment? Never had a TP-Link crash but this is with WLIP, have one left running that was started July 2015 (still running July 2015 firmware) and still running today. Will replace this one with a MBPro Black shortly simply for the fact that the MBPro is more purpose built.   

I am not knowledgeable about the TP Link.  I can't talk to the company that made it, it's been modified.  I have asked if anyone knows or has an opinion about why it crashes every day.  The only answer I got was that it is not backward compatible with USB 1.0.  I got a hub to fix that and it still crashes every day.  I am not an IT person or a computer programmer.  Right this moment, it's working great.  But it can't be left to run on it's own because it won't.  It has crashed about 6 or 7 times now.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »
I have had continuing technical issues of all sorts with Meteobridge.

BUT, I have managed to stabilize VWS.  I have a new desktop with is 64 bit as opposed to 32, with Windows 10.
VWS crashed and crashed.
So I had Windows run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode.  That seems to have worked!  I just returned from a 4 day trip and VWS ran smoothly without a single crash in my absence.
Now I fall back on VWS while I struggle with Meteobridge.