Author Topic: NEXSTORM vs LIGHTNING 2000 SOFTWARE  (Read 5422 times)

Offline n0meq

NEXSTORM vs LIGHTNING 2000 SOFTWARE
« on: December 27, 2008, 02:36:21 AM »
I am looking at either the Nexstorm or Lightning2000 software for use with the Boltek PCI stormtracker card.  Does anyone have any experience, comments or opinions with either one?  I am also using Weather Display in which both are supported by it....

Thanks    ](*,)
N0MEQ 

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: NEXSTORM vs LIGHTNING 2000 SOFTWARE
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »
Personally I use Nexstorm. If you choose Nexstorm. I recommend having the map made for your area. Do not have any experience with the other software. And as for updating the data on my web site. I have choose to only update it during the active storm months (March thru October).

No offense. It's not necessary to make multiple posts about the same subject or question. One will surfice.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:21:47 AM »
I've used both. Nexstrom is preferred if you want to send your data to StrikeStarUS for triangulating with other NexStorm users for better strike location. Then you can get that data back for your area with their WASP2 application. Nexstorm also has a time lapse JAVA applet you can put on your site, and an app for cell phones.

L2K is preferred if you are a statistics fanatic, as it records more and different data.

I believe NexStorm will also let you test the program on your detector for 30 days, while L2K only runs in demo mode, not on the hardware, until you pay for it. At least that's how it was several years ago.

And, to answer the question you haven't asked yet, no, you can't run them simultaneously on the same hardware.

I much prefer NexStorm.

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »
I own both Nexstorm and Lightning2000 and have run them side-by-side on 2 Stormtracker PCI systems. In every comparison the lightning detection engine in Lightning2000 outperformed Nexstorm's engine in ranging accuracy. In Spring 2008 some significant improvements were made to L2K's detection engine which greatly improved its ability to properly range nearby lightning. The enhancements also significantly improved L2K's overall ranging accuracy and widened the performance gap even more.

Lightning detection software should excel at one thing: lightning detection and ranging. Everything else is secondary. In my opinion Nexstorm doesn't even come close to matching L2K's detection and ranging capabilities. This opinion is my own and is based on several months of informal observations of the two products and comparisons with USPLN data. I don't endorse/sell either product. Your mileage may vary.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 08:57:54 AM »
If nearby terrain might be an issue for you (like it is for me and Tom), I'd recommend Lightning 2000.  They're also much easier to deal with.

If you want pretty, go with Nexstorm.

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
I agree with Tom - Mike @ Aninoquisi (L2K) has been phenomenally easy to real and helpful for probelms with both L2K and with m Boltek setup from time to time. This is the reason I have stuck with L2K despite the StrikeStar and other fun stuff offered by Nexstorm.

I bought a lightning detector to detect and range lightning strikes - and L2K does this very well - Mike frequently sends out an email to notify of even minor fixes and tweaks that just keep making it better and better.

Steve

Offline Bluthunder2k

• APRSfl.net
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »
I am looking at either the Nexstorm or Lightning2000 software for use with the Boltek PCI stormtracker card.  Does anyone have any experience, comments or opinions with either one?

I've ran both, currently using Nexstorm mainly for the Strikestar network.   

I do agree with numerous others who have said that L2k does a better job with ranging, I noted that when I switched to Nexstorm.     

The Nexstorm developer has made some improvements over the past few revisions that improve ranging, I haven't compared the two  since the newer versions.   

It took some time, but I built my ranging table by hand and have it pretty decent now.     

So, I will agree.  If you want looks and features, Nexstorm is the way to go.  If you want simplicity in setup and somewhat better accuracy, L2K is the way to go.

Sorry this probably doesn't help the decision making process much, but this one has no magic bullet  :-(

Regards,
Dave
KG4YZY

New Port Richey, FL
http://www.aprsfl.net

Davis Vantage Pro Plus (2)
(24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield)
Virtual Weather Station v14
Boltek LD250 w/ Nexstorm
High Resolution Level II Doppler
StarDot Netcam XL 70ft on Tower

http://www.aprsfl.net

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:16:17 PM »
Just wait until the new version of Nexstorm comes out. It will blow your socks off I'm sure.
And no, I don't know when and I can't say what.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

anything