Author Topic: SkySpy Software  (Read 36278 times)

Offline costa2

Re: SkySpy Software
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 07:35:49 AM »
the first initialization of Skyspy asks "Log into database" - ID and password are blank.  From login screen click Advanced and Database Server Hostname is blank.  Database port number is 3306.  DB Schema is blank
I've guessed around and really don't think I ever created an ID.

I have the same Problem.....

Volker

Offline Joelm

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
the first initialization of Skyspy asks "Log into database" - ID and password are blank.  From login screen click Advanced and Database Server Hostname is blank.  Database port number is 3306.  DB Schema is blank
I've guessed around and really don't think I ever created an ID.

Volker

My Skyspy worked good since installation in early January.  But this problem surfaced after reboot a couple days ago. 
Volker - what was your timeframe?
I am running version 1.1.0.177.  Each failed startup sends an error-report or two.

Offline spork

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 04:05:43 AM »
Joel - I'm wondering if somehow a setting was changed and you're no longer using embedded mode?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:08:13 AM by spork »

Offline Joelm

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 10:43:33 AM »
Joel - I'm wondering if somehow a setting was changed and you're no longer using embedded mode?

I decided to uninstall/reinstall.  But where is the latest version?

Offline spork

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
I have a copy of the installer .exe - but I don't know if it's the latest version.  It is the one that you and I have been using.  Would you like me to send it to you?

Offline chazzn

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Spork,

Please send the installer.exe to me also if you would...My skyspy.ini file turned up blank today

Offline spork

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
I suspect the blank .ini file may be the problem (although I'm not sure how it ended up blank).  I think you're being asked to log in to a database rather than using the default embedded option.

I'll send you the installer now - along with a copy of my .ini file.  But I think a new install will produce a new .ini file - so you should keep mine on the side as a backup of sorts (it will almost certainly contain some wrong info for your install).

Offline chazzn

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
Thanks !.  I am in the process of moving from an xp machine to a win 7 machine.  Must have fat fingered something!

Offline spork

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
I've got a BIG feature request...

Can we make SkySpy work on the Raspberry Pi?

This would make it a lot more palatable when we ask someone to let us mount our gear on their house and run software on their computer (or provide a computer).

Offline spork

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
D'OH!  I sent the installer link to Joel.

Here it is...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6224367/SkySpy.piz

Rename it to "skyspy.zip" and unzip it.  It includes the installer and the doc.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:23:52 PM by spork »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »
Having trouble at logon  Ver 1.1.0.177 after successful use for a couple months.
Since rebooting the computer the first initialization of Skyspy asks "Log into database" - ID and password are blank.  From login screen click Advanced and Database Server Hostname is blank.  Database port number is 3306.  DB Schema is blank

Make sure the "Use Embedded MySQL" checkbox is checked.  Main schema should be "weather2".  Also make sure your PWS Serial Number is correct, or bad things will happen, database or not.

The other fields don't do anything in Embedded MySQL mode.  I will blank them out/remove them in a future version.  Non-Embedded mode is for DB Gurus with lots of time on their hands :-)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
Will the next version provide direct reporting to Weatherflow?

I will be working on adding code to report to iKiteSurf soon - is that what you mean?  I see that iKiteSurf is under the Weatherflow umbrella (pardon the pun). :roll:

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »

There is a bug in the beta release that eats the INI file periodically.  You can edit the INI file manually with Notepad, but you have to shut the Service down first.  The SkySpyService writes to the INI file every 3-4 minutes and you don't want to have Notepad and the Service trying to edit the same file.

This bug is fixed in the pending next release.

Offline spork

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 09:16:09 PM »
I will be working on adding code to report to iKiteSurf soon - is that what you mean?

Yes - iKitesurf and WeatherFlow are the same folks.  Thanks!

By the way - this is where JoelM's station is reporting (although he's having trouble with it at the moment as you can see above):

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCABENIC2#history

And just yesterday I found a nice couple that lives on the cliffs where we fly.  They're going to let us put a station at their house (in fact the pole got mounted today).  This is where it will go (in Daly City, CA)...

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAMOUNT56

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:21:28 PM by spork »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 09:26:21 PM »
I've got a BIG feature request...

Can we make SkySpy work on the Raspberry Pi?

That is actually a horrendously large request.  All aspects of SkySpy are built around the Windows platform, so porting it to Linux would be a monumental task. 

There is another project similar to SkySpy that uses PHP and a web server - that would probably run on the Pi, but I am no expert. I don't know if the Apache web server has been ported to the Pi - you'd need that too, plus maybe a database server.  That is a lot to cram into a credit card sized computer.

Offline spork

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »
That is actually a horrendously large request.

How could that be so hard when I was able to write the request in so few words?  :)

Forget I asked.  What you've got now is great, and it'll be even cooler if you're able to post to iKitesurf/Weatherflow.

Offline Flying_Carlos

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
Kevin
I made a mistake with the captures I sent you. I was lookinng at the HTTP_IDENTIFY  headers  and  I realized that even I disconnected all of my Tx-60 but one , they stayed registered in the gateway ., so there  were 4 different request  01:01, 02:01, etc.
I'm going to prepare a new capture with only one TX-60 registered.

Offline chazzn

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 05:08:27 PM »
I've been struggling trying to move a working system from an XP box to one running Win 7.  It seems the biggest problem is something overwriting the skyspy.ini file. Then program asks for a user name and password.  I also noticed the miniweb page was not updating the new information typed into the mini web feilds and the wx station id had been changed to 7fff0102030405.   I found the skyspy.ini file hadn't been updated so to make a long story short, the ini file was updated manually and then made read only.  Still no data from the wx station to win7 box.  I've updated the IP address in the gateway using gateway advanced setup.  I see only Get Requests from the Sky Spy but no replies.  Help please!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »
I've been struggling trying to move a working system from an XP box to one running Win 7.

Hang in there  :grin:  I worked on SkySpy most of the weekend and will be back at it again tonight.  I am close to a fix for another lingering problem and have already fixed the INI file issue.  I hope to have something out soon.

For now, try to turn on Embedded mode.  It should not be asking you for a user name and password.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 03:00:08 AM »
Did you get the gust values fixed?
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »
Did you get the gust values fixed?

Hey Tony!  How ya been?  I have been frying bigger fish the last week or two.  There was a big memory/windows-handle leak that I have been struggling with, and finally came up with a fix/workaround last night.  I am testing it now.

I will look at the Wind Gust calculation algorithm as well as the iKiteSurf interface soon. 

I think I may also need to look at how accumulated rainfall is reported to WU.  I am confident with the rainfall algorithm, but I am not sure SkySpy and WU use the same time period for accumulation/reset.  The WU spec is a bit vague.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
Kevin,

I hope those fish from were good. 😊

Are you totally giving up on the external database?  I guess it's for the best. You know if you need another beta tester I'm available. 

It just seems weird that the wind gusts are always those specific values.   

I like those pieces you made out of the copper clay.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »
Tony,

I looked at the wind gust algorithm and it is correct.  I have been watching my Console for a while, and even the gust value LCD readout goes in steps of 1.3 MPH.  So, as they say:  Garbage in = Garbage out.

I think the gust value is not actually garbage, but it is averaged in such a way that the granularity is fairly large.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »
Are you totally giving up on the external database?  I guess it's for the best. You know if you need another beta tester I'm available. 

Well, not completely, but it was highly problematic.  There are about 3 people on the planet interested in low cost weather stations AND database configuration and management.  I am pretty sure that you and I comprise 2/3 of that demographic.   :lol:

I am still getting hammered by error logs from users trying to connect to a non-existent MySQL database server.

There are a few more things I want to do with SkySpy and then maybe I can loop back around and look at external database engines again.

I like those pieces you made out of the copper clay.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

I got copper clay figured out pretty well - it is a mixture of atomized copper dust and Carboxymethyl cellulose (aka CMC).  CMC mixed with water makes sticky slime - ideal for making sculptable clay out of stuff that is more like metal talcum powder.  The metal powder is really weird - a container smaller than your average mayonnaise jar weighs 10 Lbs.

I decided to make my own clay, since I want to do larger sculptures and the commercial pre-mixed stuff is about 4X the price of the raw materials.  I am seeing how close I can get to commercial quality.

I have already started making my own bronze clay - similar formula.

Lurkers can check out my Facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/kevin.g.mccoy.5

I am constantly designing/building/growing/cooking/brewing something or other and the Facebook page chronicles it.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 03:50:09 PM »
Hi!

I need some intrepid software testers to try the new gamma SkySpy release:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyw2728dhsw9p0g/SkySpyInstall.exe?dl=0

I think I have most of the bugs fixed and unsnarled the Installer issues. 

If you have problems with above release, then you should be able to revert to this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qpv7destypx726/SkySpyInstall.exe?dl=0  Note:  This is the old buggy beta one.

What is in the new v1.1 release?

• Numerous stability and bug fixes - especially issues with the INI file
  • A much improved installer that cleans up after itself
  • Removed support for external MySQL database server
  • Removed graphs and packet debug grids since none of that stuff is available in Embedded DB mode.
  • Added debug, startup and shutdown messages to the Service Readings:Service Debug Information grid
  • Fixed jabber problem - It is normal for your Gateway to jabber for about 5 minutes on cold startup.  After about 5 minutes it should stabilize and work normally.  If it does not stop jabbering then you have not entered your correct PWS Serial Number in Settings|Service Settings
  • Added Alerts - you can now set alarm levels for various weather conditions.  SkySpyService will email you if weather conditions go outside your trigger limits.  You can set the minimum interval between alert messages so you don't use up your SMS text data plan.  Most cell phone providers allow you to send an email to a special email address with your phone number as the mailbox name.  The provider will then forward the email to your SMS text app on your phone.

DO NOT RESET YOUR GATEWAY to resync with La Crosse.  Your PWS serial number will change, and this will break SkySpy.  You will have to re-enter your new serial number into SkySpy pretty much every time you play with the button on the Gateway.  Resetting the gateway will do nothing to improve SkySpy functionality - it is purely a (really lame) La Crosse server fix.

Things that are NOT done in the new release:

• The manual has not been updated.
  • WeatherFlow support is not yet complete
  • Cumulus support is not yet complete
  • The SMTP Security combo box shows numeric values instead of None/SSL/TLS.  Mode 1 works for me.  Your mileage may vary.
  • The SMS/Email test button does not work yet

Even though the manual is way out of date, you can still use it to configure your Gateway module to work with SkySpy.  If you are already using an older version of SkySpy, then you can simply install the new SkySpy and it should work OK.

If this is a new install then you MUST reconfigure your Gateway module and then go into the Settings page of SkySpy Monitor and fix any settings that are incorrect.

Please let me know how this new release works out for you.  In the mean time, I will be working on the "not done" list.

Enjoy!

Kevin

anything