Author Topic: NEW: Meteobridge can share a connected Vantage with another program  (Read 58396 times)

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Re: NEW: Meteobridge can share a connected Vantage with another program
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »
Also take note of the supported hardware. A PC cannot be repurposed to run it.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
Also take note of the supported hardware. A PC cannot be repurposed to run it.

and that is why I am lost..    :oops:
thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:34:33 PM by Fox_Of_The_Wind »

Anthony

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »
I think you dont quite understand how meteobridge works, for meteobridge you DO NOT NEED any computer at all! You buy one of the very cheap and small routers, upload alternative firmware to it and then connect your station to it via USB port. This router can then be accesed via a web interface (even remotely) and you can set up everything. So there is no direct connection or use of any computer! :)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
I don;t think I have EVER rebooted my Meteobridge.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
I think you dont quite understand how meteobridge works, for meteobridge you DO NOT NEED any computer at all! You buy one of the very cheap and small routers, upload alternative firmware to it and then connect your station to it via USB port. This router can then be accesed via a web interface (even remotely) and you can set up everything. So there is no direct connection or use of any computer! :)

I do know that the meteobridge can upload all info with out a computer. I just would want to use the meteobridge feature that can share a connected davis station with another program :-)
I am so close to buying a TP-LINK TL-MR3040 on ebay that I can smell it.

Anthony

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »
That´s the one I have :) MR-3040

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2015, 10:52:09 AM »
Wow, this is pretty interesting discussion. I just talked to Davis as I mistakenly thought they made a product that I could buy off the shelf, based on Meteobridge and was informed that this is not so. So, I just looked on eBay and the 3040 is easily acquired for about $30-$40. I am more than willing to buy that today but could use a little advice before I do. Earlier in this thread it was stated by Wim that I can continue to use my WeatherlinkIP and that I do not need a USB connection from console to 3040, etc. So if I buy the 3040, what are the steps then needed to get it functioning in my home network and feeding data to the other 3rd party services like WU and NOAA? I assume I have to install some firmware on the 3040? Is that process straightforward? I could really benefit from a high level description of the steps necessary to get this working or a  pointer to documentation somewhere "out there." Anything like that would be much appreciated. thank you

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
Have you looked on the official page?

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
Have you looked on the official page?

No I hadn't but now have - thank you: perfect to get me going and I just ordered the TP-Link TL-MR3020 which should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the pointer!

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
That´s the one I have :) MR-3040

its a done deal. just got one it is used but it was cheap. incase it don't work for me or I make a brink out of it I will not be out of much money.

Anthony

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
I got the MR-3040 and while the Official Meteobridge page is very clear and helpful, the product itself on my Mac network will not let me change the WPA2 password nor can I type in the recommended IP address (192.168.0.254) and locate the TP product. I was expecting to have issues but not as soon as I plugged it in. Any suggestions from anyone?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
Try a wired LAN connection first, not WiFi.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »
Yes, first you need to access the router via a cabled connection. It's probably best to disable wifi on the Mac, plug it directly in the router so you can access it on its default address (192.168.1.1 or 0.1, see the manual), and flash the MB frimware that you previously downloaded. The process is documented on a subpage of that page I linked earlier. Only with the flashed MB firmware will you be able to access the web interface provided by the MB.

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2015, 04:02:58 PM »
Thanks, folks. I tried that (interestingly, the TP documentation that came with the unit said to use IP address 192.168.0.254) and ultimately get a "cannot access that" page. I did try both IP addresses and other variants with same result. Something is flaky! I appreciate the attempt to help, thank you. I did notice that the cable plugged in to my router does not have a green light blinking as they others do. I swapped cables around to confirm that it is not a cable issue and it's not - same behavior. For whatever reason, it seems the MR-3040 is not being recognized on the local network even when plugged directly in to router with WiFi off. Again, thanks for that suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:33:42 PM by Brainersan »

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2015, 05:14:37 PM »
Sorry, but I didn't find it obvious from your last post but did you try the following? Turn off wifi on the mac itself, then use a network cable directly between the Mac and the MR3040's only ethernet port.

I've seen gigabit routers that refuse to recognise 100 Mb connections. The MR3040 has a 100 Mb port, maybe this is the issue. OTOH, the light blinking can also mean that a Gb connection is present, so with 100 Mb it might use a different color or might not blink at all. Another possibility is of course that you have a faulty TP-Link router.

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2015, 05:50:02 PM »
Thanks again. Well, the iMac I have has only one ethernet port on back so if I run a cable from i to the 3040 then there is absolutely no internet involved. I tried that for kicks but there was no way. So, what I did originally and again now is that I have my iMac running an ethernet cable to my router (4 ports) and the 3040 also running an ethernet cable to the router and WiFi on the Mac off entirely.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Yeah, you're right, in my suggested scenario there's no internet connection to the outside world, but the router should still function and provide the iMac with an IP via its own DHCP server. If that doesn't work, then well, sht happens, you'll prolly have to swap the router as things stand.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
Is the 3040 in 3G/4G or WISP mode? There is  a switch on the side of the router.  Check it.  And you should be able to use the 192.168.0.1 address.  Again - TURN OFF WIFI!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
Bushman - Schwing! Thank you amigo. That was what I needed (that and the realization that this is a 3020, not a 3040 - DUH and because of that the IP address is different (in the instructions). So thank you. I think I'll sleep on this because I def did not want to mess up my functioning iMac - that said, my understanding is that I want to flash this little module with the Meteobridge firmware, which came as a .bin file. I double clicked that and now have a .bin.cpgz file so not sure what's up yet but will read more. Thanks for the assist. I had pretty much given up until I got your reply and thanks to Kabuki too - thanks guys!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2015, 06:27:25 AM »
... this is a 3020, not a 3040 ...

What I've posted up till now is generally applicable to both. You can't mess your Mac up by using a different router temporarily, nor by disabling its wifi. BTW, instead of juggling around with compression formats, I suggest re-downloading the .bin... It is NOT going to be installed by clicking on it. You will need to follow TP-Link's standard firmware upgrade procedure to turn the router into the MB.

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
Wow, how many times can you reboot a router  \:D/ Anyway, thanks again guys. I have everything working. I'm stoked! Only issue is that Weather Underground has some password or ID issue. I have a support email out to them and meanwhile I'll go set up CWOP etc. Thanks a million.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2015, 01:10:09 PM »
Great!

What was the problem after all?

Offline Brainersan

• Anything Goes
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »
Combination of a few things I believe: the "hard wire" direct from my computer to the 3020 with wireless off got me to be able to see the device. I kept getting a rapidly flashing LED and it seemed that when I switched the side selector from say ASP to Wireless, it seemed to do an effective reboot of sorts. Once I was able to get into the management console, the initial few saves of information took a long time with no feedback, but eventually all good - you know how this goes. Since I saved myself $200 over the cost of a similar Ambient Weatherbridge, I feel I ought to treat myself to a WeatherCam - or perhaps I ought to treat you guys to a beer.

anything