Author Topic: Overnight Time Lapse Under Full Moon  (Read 777 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Overnight Time Lapse Under Full Moon
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:11:32 PM »
I know I just posted a video similar to this, but last night was incredible.  This is a 3 cam panorama time lapse followed by each cam for detail.  It does run about 2:30, so it is longer than I like to do, but I think the content is worthy of a little extra time.  There is a meteor in this as well.  I'll attach that image too.  This video really needs to be watched full screen.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPMcyaBmnNHcZr4M4az55irJ8H51BQJh6AdNsdT

Thought I'd share,
Greg

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:14:08 PM by GregJ »
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Re: Overnight Time Lapse Under Full Moon
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:36:21 AM »
Greg,

Excellent and did I see some Whidbey Island aviators in there as well.

Randall

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
I thought I saw some planes in there, too! I've often thought about "puddle jumping" around the Sound in a Cessna. A little taste of Alaska in my mind...  :-)
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
Kenmore Air asked me to drop by for lunch and a tour of their operation.  Because of where I am located, they use my cams often and wanted to show some appreciation.  We are on a direct line to the San Juans for them.  They fly VFR, so they need this visibility before they take off from Lake Washington.  Before my cams they would either send out a "scout" plane or have to turn around.

The tour was a mind blowing.  We all think of Kenmore Air as a little local operation with a dozen planes or so.....  WRONG....  They are the largest seaplane company in the US...  They build all their own planes from mostly Beaver and Otter carcasses.  They manufacture most of their own parts from upholstery to floats.  All engines are rebuilt on their site.  The do work for others as well.  I was with the Chief Pilot on this tour (Chuck Perry) and he is giving Jimmy Graham (TE Seattle Seahawks) lessons for certification on a float plane.  Basically, they are into anything that flies over water.  2 to 3 times a year he flies rebuilt engines up to Alaska..  I could go on and on....

So yes Yahtah....  My mind went there too....  I would love to do the same.  There are so many beautiful places around here that would be 45 minutes away in a seaplane....  Unfortunately....  My lotto ticket this weekend didn't work out....   :sad:

Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »
Greg that is so incredible the utility your cams have evolved into.
Beautiful photos and highly useful how awesome is that!!!

Greg in Minnesota, my home state, Beavers were everywhere jumping from lake to lake (10,000 as the license plates say).
I will have to ask my brother - back in Minnesota - if he has heard of Kenmore Air and I am guessing he has.

I'll send ya a PM on the latest in AZ.

Randall

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:49:45 PM »
Greg my uncle scouted and dispatched floats in Canada and Alaska - were checking to see if he flew or worked for Kenmore...

Randall

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 11:17:05 PM »
Cool....  Chuck told me that the Beavers have been out of production since the 60's.  They completely rebuild the planes starting with salvaged carcasses.  I asked him about stress fatigue in the fuselage...  He said there is absolutely none...  They have a real corner on this market.  They have grown responsibly and now have an incredible business.  Something that a quick start up with equity partners could never replicate....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »
I am so jealous!!!  :-P Did they take you on an aerial tour?
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 12:52:22 AM »
One of the things that Chuck shared with me was that the minimum flying altitude was changed from 200ft to 500ft after the Alaska Governor died in a float plane crash.  He told me about how this actually decreased the safety for VFR pilots.  They all fly VFR.  So, we had a bit ... well, more than a bit of a storm last Saturday.  As I was sitting at my desk I see a Kenmore Air plane fly by close to eye level following the shoreline.  I have probably seen this thousands of time before, but I understood a bit more about what was going on.  The pilot was choosing safety over foolish legislation....  I went back through my archive and found the image of him flying by and a time lapse from 10:00am to 1:00pm, which shows both sides of his "flyby" at 11:57.  Uhmmm.... I would say the "pucker factor" for me would definitely keep me under 500ft.....

Look at the image first and then look what he flew through.....

Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS