Author Topic: Locating/Siting the Boltek  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Locating/Siting the Boltek
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:38:30 AM »
I read about not having the Boltek unit being to close to power sources and/or metal and.

As far as metal - how far from a "chicken-wire" & stucco wood frame house should it be?

How far from a chain link fence?

I get the "as far as possible" concept but what is a reasonable minimum in an outside siting?

Also - in the lot next to me (the side of the house where the computers would be), we have a big water company tank (well type) - problem?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Locating/Siting the Boltek
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »
I read about not having the Boltek unit being to close to power sources and/or metal and.

As far as metal - how far from a "chicken-wire" & stucco wood frame house should it be?

Mine is about 4' above a wire lath stucco gable and aluminum shingle roof, to no ill effect.

How far from a chain link fence?

Above it by a few feet should be OK.

I get the "as far as possible" concept but what is a reasonable minimum in an outside siting?

Also - in the lot next to me (the side of the house where the computers would be), we have a big water company tank (well type) - problem?
[/quote]

How big? If it's tall enough and large enough in diameter, you may have problems with it shielding your antenna or attenuating strikes in that direction. You may also have trouble with reflections from strikes in other directions.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »
I have my antenna mounted inside in the corner of my living room. I have a problem with a hi noise count. I don't know if it wiring in the house or if it coming from my computers that are about 6' to 8' away. Or it could be a noisy powerline outside the house. Although I do not see any arching when it rains. Just remember. Your antenna does not have to be mounted outside to work. Orientation is the most important thing. Being off my just 2 or 3 degrees can make a huge difference where the lightning strikes are plotted on the map. And I'm quiet sure mine is not perfect.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:44:59 AM »
I was concerned about an inside siting being the house is a stucco wire-wrap type. And the only place it could be would be in the room with all the electronics - didn't think that would pan out.

That water tank is about 150' or so away from the house and seems to be as high as the local telephone poles that carry the cable and electric and not quite as wide as it is high.

The house is a flat roof style (with no attic/crawl space) and being I just had a new roof put on a year ago, I don't even think about there.

Monsoon season is upon us here and with all the outstanding lightning storms, I'm biting at the bit to order one up (the Boltek). If the currently available siting would seem to be an obstacle, I would wait until I could figure out some alternative approach.

But... I really want one... :lol:

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:24:33 AM »
In your situation. Outside would be the best location. I would try and get it up 3 or 4 feet above the edge of the roof.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »

Hi,

If it's any help, I have my Boltek antenna enclosure mast, secured with s/s bolts to the house pluming system vent. 
I am sure you have one, ready made support, works great.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:14:49 AM »
I don't think a vent pipe would work out for me. Too much wind for my peace of mind - I would worry too much about losing any seal around it. With no attic, I would never know if it leaked in or not.

I noticed that up to a total of 200' of cable length is mentioned on their site. That definitly opens up a few more do-able possibilities for getting it up in the air a bit.

Oh oh... I'm running out of reasons to NOT buy one... other than the cost, of course.

anything