Author Topic: Ranging Settings and the sorts  (Read 6026 times)

jwyman

Ranging Settings and the sorts
« on: March 15, 2008, 11:43:35 PM »
All,
  Tracking the big storms going of the eastern seaboard tonight.... I see most of my strikes appearing in the seemingly correct spot then  i get a row of strikes which appear at 1/2 the distance or even closer, This ranging/calibration stuff is driving me nuts! Any good advice on general settings and working from there. I live in Southern Maryland (close to the Bay and ocean as the crow flys).

Jim
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:09:30 AM by jwyman »

blackjack52

Re: Ranging Settings and the sorts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 12:04:58 AM »
I was just going to link you to Astrogenic, however I'm sure there are many users in this forum that don't have an account, but really should because there's a lot of very good information there.  I compiled this from my trials and tribulations.
http://forum.astrogenic.com/
Crack open a cold one.  There's no easy way around it if you want accurate strikes plotted.

I know this may seem like a lot, but after you play with the parameters and see what they do, you'll be very afluent in their use.
Most importantly, make certain the maps being used are accurately cropped to ensure the most accurate ranging results. AND make sure you actually need to adjust ranging parameters! It will take at least several active days to establish if ranging is off or not and which sectors are affected, or not.

First, I used magnetic North to position my antenna. I used a magnetic deviation chart, http://www.solarpathfinder.com/magnetic.html to determine the offset to add or subtract from the compass heading, then updated the azimuth under “Hardware” “Antenna Alignment” properties in Nexstorm.
This chart tells me to use –3 deviation (Huntsville, AL). My antenna is mounted about +1deg to mag North. The deviation I have entered for alignment is –3deg (should be -2, but -3 works better). Storms plot at a pretty exact azimuth.

Secondly, I used the following ranging parameters in this order when making software adjustments:
1. Segmented Ranging (started with a setting of 1st ring at +10, each subsequent ring I added +3 to the previous rings value for valley and generally flat topography, and kept the value at the previous rings value for hills/mountains in excess of 1000ft) This is further explained below.
2. General Strike Ranging (GSR) for TRAC (started with a setting of +5)
3. Plot Scale (started with a setting of +1.2)
4. Nighttime Upshift (Nexstorm default)

I used the above defaults for items 1-4 as a starting point. Most parameters start with adjustments to the + since I noticed that after sufficient strikes are plotted, the range decreases. For me, this seemed to be an easier way to adjust. I guess this comes from my B-52 Gunner days, as we always adjusted our Fire Control RADAR noise/gain to the positive, then backed it down if needed.

After making the above adjustments, this is how I adjust the different software parameters:
1. Segmented Ranging: NOTE: Using a topographic map helps immensely when determining a starting point for Segmented Ranging. Since I have rolling hills within 15 miles, some of which are >1000ft, I set the first ring at +10. The 2nd and subsequent rings get a bit tricky. About 40 miles to my SW, a valley starts, so I use +13 for the second ring to my SW and +16 for the 3rd, etc, etc. To my N and E, it’s the Smoky Mountains, so I use the value of my previous ring, which just so happens to be +10, for my 2nd and subsequent rings.
Then I adjust +/- values to where the strikes are plotting after a TRAC forms. A good rule of thumb I use is to wait about 20 min after the TRAC forms. The reason being that Nexstorm is getting better at plotting the longer it tracks.
2. GSR TRAC: Remember, when you make an adjustment here, it goes across all ranges and azimuths. You may have to go back to the Segmented Ranging again. When I’m generally happy with the segmented ranging, I adjust the TRAC value to nudge the plots closer or further. Remember to allow about 20-30 minutes for the TRAC to update its position if there are a few strikes/min for that TRAC. I bounce back and forth b/w using Segmented Ranging and TRAC to make further adjustments. Mine is pretty much locked in at +4.90.
3. Plot Scale Adjust: After I feel fairly confident as to my accuracy with, I use the Plot Scale Adjustment to further refine the range. Remember, if you use this to go too far positive, the strike plots will be spaced further apart. So go back to the segmented ranging if you have an area that is off in range. Mine is set at +1.12 and I haven’t moved it in the last few weeks.
4. Nighttime Upshift: I only use this 30 min after sunset/sunrise to make plot adjustments. The key here is to only make Segmented Ranging/TRAC adjustments during the day, not when Nighttime Upshift is in effect, because the values may be messed up for daytime ops. SO, you have everything where you want it, now you know how much percentage to change upshift values at night.

If you see an area out of wack, use Segmented Ranging to correct. Also, save this ranging kernel as you go along, that way if previous settings worked better, then you can go back. When I was making these adjustments, and still am, I save the kernel using a date stamp. The Sgmented Ranging continues to be the one parameter constantly getting tweaked, until I'm happy.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 12:06:44 AM by MadALwx »

jwyman

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »
Thanks for all that info MadAlWx.....

Curious, why would you need to adjust the plot ranging at all if the general ranging and seg ranging should cover it all?

Jim

blackjack52

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »
The plot ranging function will tighten or disperse plots, nudging them closer or further.  A nice tool but segmented ranging, although more difficult to use as a function of time, is much better.

jwyman

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »
But doesn't that give false readings to the actual strikes, meaning the strikes on either end of the cell are moved farther away from the storm then the center strikes?

Also, how accurate is the system past 300 miles and is it worth even trying to calibrate it to/for those storms?

Jim

blackjack52

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »
But doesn't that give false readings to the actual strikes, meaning the strikes on either end of the cell are moved farther away from the storm then the center strikes?

On my setup, I have plot ranging more closely plotted, producing a tighter pack of strokes.  Then I adjusted segmented ranging to put the storm where they should be.

Also, how accurate is the system past 300 miles and is it worth even trying to calibrate it to/for those storms?

First you have to realize that this will not be done overnight.  It can take months.  I get very accurate Plotting out to 450.  Again this is dependent on how strong the storms are. 

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:51:16 PM »
Just curious, why would you want to detect for over 300 miles much less 450 miles away? Does this cause the plots to be less accurate when you are detecting that far or is that just standard detection that is expected from this?

jwyman

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
Well there is a lot of storms w/ lightning here in the Mid-Atlantic area today. I am trying to calibrate my system but to no avail... I check all the other Nexstorm stations around me and they all seem to have different plots.. None seem to line up! This is making this whole calibration thing just fruitless and now I'm wondering if this purchase was such a good idea....   :-( :-( :-( :-(

Jim

blackjack52

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »
Calibration is perhaps the most difficult thing to do.  It is even more difficult when you have squalls or storms up on a front.  To accurately calibrate means using single storms or storms that are isolated in a particular sector.

Stay safe; those storms are shy of going meso in getting some high tops.