Author Topic: Boltek LD-250 vs PCI  (Read 18738 times)

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Boltek LD-250 vs PCI
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
I see the PCI is recommended over the LD-250. Only problem is I have no more spaces for another PCI card. I do have a PCI-X slot available if they made them I could go that route but I have not seen that they do have those. I plan on building a new computer but that is probably a year off. So it looks like I am pretty much forced to go with the LD-250. Is their that much of a difference in performance and quality between the two. I would think for almost $600 it would be a pretty good unit. Also I know like with the VP2 most people recommend the serial over USB. How good is the USB from the LD-250? I do not have anymore serial and no spots for expansion unless I can find a PCI card that has two serial connections instead of one. So if anyone has some pros and cons with the two I would love to hear them. From what I have read so far it seems the PCI is better, what makes it better and if it is why is it cheaper? If I got the LD-250 which right now I have no choice would I be disappointed with it. I will strictly being using it at home. If anyone has some examples pages where they use them I would like to see the two. 

-Thanks

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Boltek LD-250 vs PCI
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:50:32 PM »
Ok I keep weighting the options since I want to get one of these in a few days. I am really leaning towards the LD-250 over the storm tracker since I do not have an extra PCI slot to spare until I build my new computer maybe at the end of the year. I want to get something way before then. What is holding me up is my concern in the loss of map quality with the LD-250 I have heard about. Does anyone know anything about this? Is their any loss in quality on the map or delay in sending data? I have heard the PCI version is faster and has better quality, what exactly does that mean and is that true? If I go with the LD-250 will I be happy with it. I like the LD-250 because I can see information without having the computer on. I will be sending this information to my website btw. On the other hand the PCI is cheaper and if the quality is better and faster then I have a lot of thinking to do. Another thing I was curious about is the zoom rate. How close can I zoom in? So if anyone has any personal feedback on this matter I would love to hear it since I would like to order one of these this soon probably next week if not soon.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:09:03 PM by MesquiteXmas »

jwyman

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:44:21 AM »
PCI, PCI , PCI.... IF you have to hold off, then do it. Save the money and get the PCI. It does a better job of signal processing the the LD-250..... Worth the wait.

Jim

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:47:11 AM »
Unless you need to go mobile with it, get the PCI.  Superior ranging options.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »
Don't waste your money on the LD-250.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies, can anyone elaborate on what you mean by "better job of signal processing" and "Superior ranging options". I do not know what that means when it comes to this.

I really don't have any free PCI slots at all. I actually had to take my wireless card out just to put in a serial card for my Davis. So if I wait it will probably be over a year until I can build a new computer to hold this. I really do not want to wait that long. I know the one thing about the LD-250 I like is I can see what is going on without having to have the computer on. I do not mind spending the extra money but I need to something to lean me to wait for the PCI. I just don't want to get the LD-250 and not being happy with it.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:49:59 PM »
Let's turn this around a bit.

On the Boltek site, list price of the LD-250s are $799, PCI cards are $399.

That's a difference of $400.

For $399 (a buck less), you can get a new Dell Vostro 200 with 1.8 GHz dual core, XP Home, no crapware, 19" wide-screen, 1 GB RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, and 80 GB SATA HD.

Get the Boltek PCI and a new computer and monitor for a buck less than the lesser LD-250 by itself.

Keep your existing PC for the weather station or add a multiport PCI card for your serial for a few more $$, and an Ethernet or USB wireless client if you still need wireless.

(thanks to kray1000 for having my back...)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:56:16 PM by SLOweather »

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
No offense but Dell sucks. I would never buy a dell after all the problems I have had to deal with them from family and work. Besides a good 19" widescreen is $250 by itself leaving the balance at $150. I know this because I have a 19" LCD HD Viewsonic and it was $250. Doesn't sound like a very good computer if you ask me for only $150. You get what you pay for and if you are only paying $150 for a computer it can not be all that great. I had plans to build a new computer anyways for my display. I just built one a year ago and I like to build my computers from scratch with hand picked hardware. I will be running a lot more then just weather on it doing the Holidays so it needs to be a custom build and 1.8 GHz is not nearly fast enough. It has to be atleast 3.0 GHz since that is what I am running now in order to power the programs I use. It is one of the main reasons I am building another computer to take some of that load off my main computer during the Holidays. The features you listed below just won't cut it. My laptop has more power then that. Yes it will need wireless. It is not a big deal on this one now because I can connect hardwire to the network from the laptop if I need to. On the new one though I will need to connect wirelessly to the network from my laptop to that computer for programming reasons. In case you are wondering why I need all this for my computer I run a very high profile computer animated Christmas Display that is synchronized to music. so I can not skimp when it comes to the hardware. You can get the LD-250 from Ambient and Provantage for $590. Cost isn't really the issue here as long as I am getting something good and I will be happy with it. I wouldn't mind saving some money but I need some more information to lean on other then "Go with the PCI". I have seen some pages of people using the LD-250 and I can not see the difference. What are the main differences between the two. Is the PCI faster then the LD-250 as far as plotting on the map? I read something about image or map quality. What exactly are they referring to? What is it exactly besides price that makes the PCI much better then the LD-250. Not that I don't believe anyone that the PCI is probably a better choice. Just for my own piece of mind I would like to know the major and physical advantages. As of now I am leaning towards the LD-250 for the simple fact I don't have room for a PCI card and two, I like that I can see the alerts on the LD-250 without having to have the computer on like with the PCI. So really as long as it will plot on a map in real time and the image quality is good I have no complaints. The is mostly being used for reference purposes on my website and to track lighting in and around the display during the holidays. Because when you are running 400 amps you are a pretty big target for a strike. Which is one reason why I do not run it doing rain, ice, or snow for the safety of my visitors.

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:44:24 AM »
The LD-250 does not identify the different types of lightning strokes. The PCI does. This alone is worth the extra cost of the PCI system. Save your money and get the PCI Stormtracker.

If you just want to display lightning on a map I suggest you get GRLevel3 and subscribe to Allison House's US Precision Lightning Network feed.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:05:08 AM »
Well I am started to lean more towards the PCI card after doing some more research. Even though I hate to do it. I guess I can get a USB hub and take out my USB card to put in the PCI Storm tracker card until I get the other computer built. You would think for the price that the LD would do just as much as the PCI. The one thing I really Like about the LD is the fact I don't have to have the computer up to see any activity and that the box has a built in alarm. That is a huge plus but I would like to go with the PCI since I am hearing to go with it.

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 10:13:07 PM »
The Pci card is the better option because.....

The LD-250 does not identify the different types of lightning strokes. The PCI does. This alone is worth the extra cost of the PCI system. Save your money and get the PCI Stormtracker.

So if you want to know if that was a cloud to ground or cloud to cloud strike you need a PCI card 

Jeanette
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »
Ah very useful information thanks. That makes things a little easier to make a decision. I wonder why they didn't make the LD-250 just as good as the PCI for they price they are selling it for. I guess maybe because the LD-250 can be used as a mobile unit and has the GPS attachments etc?

I guess I will just take my USB card out and a get a USB hub to use in the meantime and put the stormtracker PCI in its place until I get the new computer built.

Does anyone know if I can use both units (PCI and LD-250) with one antenna?

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »
No offense but Dell sucks.

Like any manufacturer their are some products that don't quite cut it. Their consumer grade stuff like their Dimension line does well and truly suck, but their business grade equipment like the Optiplex workstations and Poweredge 2900 servers are as good and in my opinion better than pretty much anything out there, especially the Optiplex line. Best part is you don't pay much of a premium for them either. As far as the new Vostro line, the verdict is still out but so far so good. Construction and component choice seems above average for a PC in the price range but I can't recommend them just yet because they don't have enough time under their belts.

Dell support can be a bit of a problem but truth be told they aren't any worse than anyone else in my experience.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 08:46:12 AM »
misquietxmas, with everyting you do that requires a computer. You deffinately need to purchase a seperate cpmputer for all your weather stuff.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »
Does anyone know if I can use both units (PCI and LD-250) with one antenna?

If you mean do they both use the same antenna, the answer to that is yes.

If you mean can you use both on the same antenna, at the same time, I would say no.

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
Like any manufacturer their are some products that don't quite cut it. Their consumer grade stuff like their Dimension line does well and truly suck, but their business grade equipment like the Optiplex workstations and Poweredge 2900 servers are as good and in my opinion better than pretty much anything out there, especially the Optiplex line. Best part is you don't pay much of a premium for them either. As far as the new Vostro line, the verdict is still out but so far so good. Construction and component choice seems above average for a PC in the price range but I can't recommend them just yet because they don't have enough time under their belts.

Dell support can be a bit of a problem but truth be told they aren't any worse than anyone else in my experience.

I am not familiar with there business grade equipment so I can not comment on them. You are right about their support, I guess they can't be any worse then anyone else. A lot of people swear by them but I have never had luck with them. One problem I had with them just recently since Dell is big about making customized computers for peoples application they will be using them in. They use a lot of their own hardware which allows them to sell their computers cheaper then lets say Compaq or HP. With that said, if you want to upgrade lets say memory you have to go through Dell to upgrade it. You can not go to Best Buy, Frys or some other local retail computer store. They wanted over $230 for a gig stick which is where they make up on cost. So I ended up just building a new computer for my Aunt and Uncle since this was for them anyways. Other then that I have just had their hardware just die on me. Their video cards and monitors I have had bad experience with on jobs I did where I serviced them for seimens.  That is just why I like to build my own. I can make it to the specifications I like and need. I have found Tiger.com very reasonable on boards and cpus and memory too sometimes. I normally just buy my core stuff from them like case, power supply, board, cpu and maybe memory and then get the rest from Frys which is a HUGE electronics store here that has a lot of stuff for cheap that is good stuff to finishing them out.

misquietxmas, with everyting you do that requires a computer. You deffinately need to purchase a seperate cpmputer for all your weather stuff.

It is not so much that I need to build another one rather then I want to. I am able to run everything from this one now comfortably without any problems even with everything I have on it. I normally build them with a lot of memory, HD room and cpu speed so I normally don't have much problems from them. I would like to build one though to get everything off this one so my other stuff can have it's own computer to run on. After Dec the weather will have it's own computer but in Nov/Dec it will share it with The Animation software I use for my lights, then the CCTV and web stream cards, FM transmitter and Mackie sound board etc. It is mostly just from running out of hardware room to install new cards on this one which is why I need to build a new one. I am not sure if I want to get another monitor or connect it via KVM switch. Heck knowing me I might just do both.... :lol:

If you mean can you use both on the same antenna, at the same time, I would say no.

Yes, I was wondering if you could use the same antenna for both the PCI and the LD-250 at the same time. I know people will ask and probably think that is stupid and a waste of money etc to run both. So I will explain the reason I ask. With the PCI card I have to have the computer on in order to see and hear alerts from the lightning data of close storms etc. If I put this on the other computer I will build I need it to be silent and I will not have the lightning program open during Christmas so I can watch the light program. Also since everything that plays on that computer while the show is running will be heard over the FM transmitter so people will hear it on their radios in the car and we don't want that since it will ruin the show. So in order to see and hear the lightning data the monitor will need to be on. I can probably have the program running but can not have sound at all while the display is running. With the LD-250 I can see the strikes and alerts on the unit and hear the alarms from the unit without the monitor or sound being up. So that way if a storm is close I can see it on the LD-250 and making proper plans to keep an eye on things in case I need to shut down the display. So while I want good data and quality for the web side which the PCI sounds like it can give me over the LD-250. The LD-250 can give me visual and audio without me having to watch the monitor. I noticed that you can buy just the LD-250 receiver separate so that is why I asked. If I could use both with the same antenna would be the best of both worlds. Just trying to figure this out so I can make the best possible solution for this. I have my Davis set to alarm if 0.01 rain is measured so I can shut off the display, but normally lightning can be ahead of the storm without rain so I need a way to detect the lightning too. Because when you are running 400 amps you are a pretty big target for a strike.... :lol: 

blackjack52

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »
Buy an ld-250 for each room.  And one for each vehicle..

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »

Forgive me for not laughing....  :roll:

The safety of my visitors and guests is a very serious matter which I do not think is something to joke about. So please refrain from the sarcastic remarks. Since you are a LD-250 owner I would love to hear any positive feedback you might have on the unit. Otherwise please do not reply.

jwyman

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »

Forgive me for not laughing....  :roll:

The safety of my visitors and guests is a very serious matter which I do not think is something to joke about. So please refrain from the sarcastic remarks. Since you are a LD-250 owner I would love to hear any positive feedback you might have on the unit. Otherwise please do not reply.

I think we all take our website visitors' safety seriously. It was just a simple joke.  :roll: BTW, weren't you banned from the Amient Weather Forums for trashing people?

Jim

blackjack52

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
Yes he was.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »

I think we all take our website visitors' safety seriously. It was just a simple joke.  :roll: BTW, weren't you banned from the Amient Weather Forums for trashing people?

Jim

I think you misunderstand my situation and what I am talking about when I say "visitors" . I am not talking about "web site visitors". I run a very high profile Computer Animated Christmas Display that is synchronized to music. Between light shows the my church does a Christmas concert on a stage I have set up between the two displays on each side of the yard that uses full production lighting and sound as well as the display itself. So when I refer to "visitors" I am referring to the couple of thousand of people who visit the display on a nightly basis during the Holidays. So yes I take my "Visitors" safety very seriously when you have that many people visiting and you are running that much power. So I don't find it as a joking matter. I take what I do very seriously as it is another hobby of mine that raised $39,000 Dollars last year for various Children's Charities. Just like you take your weather hobby serious I take my other hobby's serious and do not think it is funny when someone makes mockery of it just like you wouldn't of yours.

I do not think I was thrashing anyone. I kindly asked him to refrain form the sarcastic remarks in which I have noticed he makes on a regular basis. If you consider that as thrashing someone then so be it. If you wish to be respected then you show respect in return. I would consider his remarks as "thrashing" remarks so is that ok or the fact you are doing the same and directing the attention away from the topic ok? Please do not disrupt this thread if you do not have anything positive to add. If you can not understand that then you should stay at the other forum where sarcasm and bashing is acceptable among those who run it.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »

jwyman

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
Someone please tell me when the end of this tirade is going to end or show me where the Master Cutoff Switch is...... I can't stand people who boast  ](*,)

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
Someone please tell me when the end of this tirade is going to end or show me where the Master Cutoff Switch is...... I can't stand people who boast  ](*,)

The master switch is called ignoring this thread if you have that much problems with me which I have done nothing to you. It is a simple solution. I just want to know why it is ok for people like you to make the comments you make "thrashing" others and don't expect a "tirade" in return. Do you allow or like people to "thrash" you for no appearant reason? I wasn't on a tirade as you call it and it is appearant by your choice of words you have no clue of the meaning nor the meaning of "boast". Yes I am self admiring and take a lot of pride in what I do. What person doesn't?

Now please, if you have nothing positive to add to this discussion then please do not reply. You are doing nothing but trolling and I and I am sure others do not appreciate it.

blackjack52

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »
Chill.  It was  :-)

Now, sarcastic remarks in which I have noticed he makes on a regular basis.  Now that's thrashing.  Care to back this? 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:27:53 PM by MadALwx »