Author Topic: Naming storms  (Read 8239 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Naming storms
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »
I've just been reminded by a local press story alluding to the Wx Channel or someone taking the arrogant step of deciding they would be naming winter storms, and they would be deciding what the names would be.

This really rubs me the wrong way, and while hurricanes have been named for decades, to grandstand and try to draw further attention to themselves beyond what they already do in a grandiose fashion that they do over even ordinary weather reporting, is really irritating.

My irritation is over their non-science approach and seemingly doing us a favor by naming storms which no one will remember anyway, is the reaction they wanted, just to get a reaction.  But the somewhat less weather-oriented and science based folks will see some of the dribble in the ordinary news and assume that there is some sort of official imprimatur associated with it.

But commercial products will do anything they can to get attention and even be briefly in the limelight.  Oh well.  I just hope those true weather aficionados who tend to hang out here will join the movement of ignoring the WxChannel and all their self importance.  I'll just wait to see re-runs of their reporters out in high winds freezing their tushes off.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:57:26 AM by DaleReid »
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Naming storms
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
NOAA needs to come out with a strong statement in opposition to this silliness.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of former top level NWS people that have gone to the dark side are are raking in bucks from The Worst Channel.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »
I agree 100%, Dale. Ever since they were bought out by Comcast, I knew crap like this would happen. This has been an ongoing reality show based on weather. I can certainly see why so many former Mets left the company or were let go. I haven't watched in over 15 years, and do not see this changing anytime soon.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:57:16 AM »
Never have heard anyone use the Snowstorm name after is goes away.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:35:46 PM »
I never watch the Weather Channel, so I was not even aware of this storm naming. Our local broadcast stations apparently don't follow their lead as I don't think I have heard any of my local stations refer to a winter storm by name ... except for some generic names like the 2007 "Valentines Day Blizzard".
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 05:26:14 PM »
They have been doing this in the UK for a year now and it is rubbish. We dont have severe storms here like others do and it seems pointless. Just a while ago we had storm Brian, no disrespect to any Brians, but how pointless is that.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
Dale, ask yourself this question.
Can you or anyone you know name one winter storm TWC has named in the past?
Probably not.
That's my point. They aren't relevant so try not to get too upset with what they do.
It's grandstanding as you said. Just a way for them to draw attention to themselves.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »
Ocala,
No of course I cannot name a winter storm except the late fall storm of was it '49 that killed all the hunters and fishermen on the Mississippi River in was it November?  And of course the 'Children's Blizzard' of 1888.

But in a couple hundred years to have only two that were so severe that they are worthy of mentioning.

Up here in the MidWest we have tornadoes and I don't recall them being named.  Yet.  I'd better keep my mouth shut or some of the geniuses at WxChannel will start doing that next year.  The idle mind is the devil's workshop, you know.

Yeah, I was venting, but it all comes down to the frustration with the lack of any awareness and practice of science lately.  When I was in school there were nerds, and while they were nerds they were respected and consulted for their curiosity and ingenuity.  Now most people can't do an ounce of critical thinking and when you challenge them as to why they think crystals can heal, that 'natural' products are inherently better, and so on, they get all irritated.  Just a few days ago I got a (perhaps apocryphal) copy of an article where some mother was ranting about the evils of the flu shot, since her 14 year old daughter got pregnant after getting the flu shot....  Oh well.  Some day these outstanding thinkers will be called to jury duty.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »
I'll just wait to see re-runs of their reporters out in high winds freezing their tushes off..
This is what I don't get, you see this reporter hanging onto a lamp post for dear life in 100mph wind, warning people to stay inside because of the possibility of being hit by flying objects. Does he have an invisible force field protecting him?

Some day these outstanding thinkers will be called to jury duty.
or running the country in some position  :roll: 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:39:42 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »
Yeah, I was venting, but it all comes down to the frustration with the lack of any awareness and practice of science lately.  When I was in school there were nerds, and while they were nerds they were respected and consulted for their curiosity and ingenuity.  Now most people can't do an ounce of critical thinking and when you challenge them as to why they think crystals can heal, that 'natural' products are inherently better, and so on, they get all irritated.  Just a few days ago I got a (perhaps apocryphal) copy of an article where some mother was ranting about the evils of the flu shot, since her 14 year old daughter got pregnant after getting the flu shot....  Oh well.  Some day these outstanding thinkers will be called to jury duty.
=D>

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 07:48:11 PM »
It's the smart ones that know how to get out of both.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline weathergeek01

• weather api
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 03:51:55 AM »
yeah, like who names them?

anything