Author Topic: WUnderground app only partially works  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Cammi

WUnderground app only partially works
« on: July 03, 2019, 05:41:42 PM »
Phone Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown on totalwireless
OS Android 8.0
WUnderground version 5.10.0 according to google play last updated May 23,2019

Issue: Weather underground app refuses to acknowledge the closest station to me which is two houses south of me and instead picks out the closest one after this station. If I force the app to show this closest one it picks up the local airport and shows that locations observations. The temperature of this closest station is shown when you get the wundermap on the app and will let you tap on the station and get info but if you touch "view forecast" it gives me the airports observations. For comparison the wunderground website on my desktop has no problems acquiring this closest station.

Secondly I have frequent times on the app of "couldn't acquire your location" which could be related to the app refusing to acknowledge the closest location and just stopping there. Also "No internet connection" of which is silly since my router is less then 15 feet from the phone when I check inside my house. Outside the house there is a router in the second floor and in the basement which covers a good 75 to 100 feet outside my house depending on location.

Stopping the app sometimes, clearing the data and uninstalling the app helps but eventually reverts to couldn't find and no internet connection.

Lastly the app never periodically updates and must be manually updated by clicking on the notification which sometimes works sometimes not I guess its a coin flip to see if it works or doesn't?

I have several android phones of different manufactures and they all have the same problem it is not just a one phone problem.

Thanks

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
Re: WUnderground app only partially works
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »
This has been reported before. IOS and Android app issues have been going on for months now. It has been reported that it has something to due with their map provider. Not everyone is affected. It is in the process of being corrected with no time to completion given. You can search these forums for additional information. It works on my Android phone without any issues.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:06:50 AM by Weatheroger »

Greg_M

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »
They don't seem to test anything they do.

Offline alnames

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 12:07:47 PM »
I also have this problem and discovered a workaround. I'm not sure why it works for me so your mileage may vary. I added one of their widgets on my Samsung S8 home screen and was able to successfully make it use my PWS instead of the Airport (or a PWS further away). Doing this also seems to affect the App itself as it now stays on my PWS instead of the Airport for the temp displayed on the notification bar.

Offline Cammi

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 01:38:43 PM »
Update: I have a J3 Luna pro which is a data only phone used at work for me to stream audio. It too will not display the cloest station to me but will update periodically, more times than not every few hours when I turn the phone back on to change my audio stream. Very interesting

anything