Author Topic: Solar Power Weather Station & More ?  (Read 4366 times)

Offline weatherman

• facebook
Solar Power Weather Station & More ?
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:11:53 PM »
I am on a tight budget looking for a cheap Solar Power Weather Station from $140 - $220 or cheaper then that. I also want one that I can put on the internet so everyone can see.  I am also looking for Cheap webcams under $100.  My computer never gets turned off only when I am restarting it, power goes out or internet goes down. 

Here are the Solar Power Weather Stations I have been looking at:
http://www.time-weather.com/wsprwestwihe.html

http://oregonscientific.factoryoutletstore.com/details/2247-3417/Oregon-Scientific-Professional-Weather-Stations-WMR968.html

Take Care
Kevin

CoCoRaHS - KY-CH-4 Gracey, KY
Storm Spotter For Western KY

Offline GuruJ

• Ascenion Wellness Center
Re: Solar Power Weather Station & More ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:46:06 PM »
From one newb to another so take with a grain of salt.

Im my reading the La Crosse isn't nearly as reliable as an OS. I was looking at the same model and ruled it out to go with the 968.

Peace,
GuruJ
Fast Cars, Davis Weather Stations, and expensive geeky things. What about your Soul? Does it Bling Bling?

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
Get you self an OS WMR-968. You won't be sorry. Best price I've found is at ambient weather.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
Update: I am now going with the lowest price on Wireless Weather Stations weather its a Solar Power or Not. Why am I doing this cause no one in my family can afford anything thats $200 & up.  So if you know of any good Wireless Weather Stations that you can put on the computer & internet please let me know..
Take Care
Kevin

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »
I have a 968 and a 2315.  I like both stations.  They both have +s and -s.  I like the versatility of the 968.  You can put all the sensors in different places because they're not connected to each other.  And, they're all solar powered and wireless.  I have had some trouble with the humidity sensor, but others have never had any problem with any of the components.

The 2315 is a good unit for a little over $100.  It takes 2 AA batteries, and the rain sensor and the wind sensor connect to the temp/RH sensor which is the transmitter.  You can run a wire from the temp/RH sensor to the console, or run it wireless.  It updates faster when it's wired.  The windspeed only updates once per minute or so when running wireless.

You can get download free software to put your data on the internet to weatherunderground, CWOP (which has a great pdf file Guide to Placing Sensors), weatherforyou, etc.

You can get webcams starting at around $20 at WalMart and Radioshack.  You can spend as much as you want to on one.

Ambient weather has a 2315 and a 2317 for $104:

http://www.ambientweather.com/lacrtewswiwe10.html

http://www.ambientweather.com/lacrtewswiwe8.html

I found a 968 for $198:

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=WMR968%20L00509&source=fr

Just some food for thought.  I hope this helps.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:11:22 AM »
Don't just jump in and buy the cheepest weather station you can find. You could end up regretting it. Then not only would you have a station you didn't like. You wouldn't have any money either.  If you are really interested in this. Save your money and buy your self a decent station.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »
Anthony, I agree with that statement. When I started out I bought the cheapest I could get and it left a lot to be desired, so after two months I forked out the money for a Davis and I should have bought the Davis in the beginning.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:42:09 PM »
Hey I found another La Crosse its a WS & heres the link: http://www.weathershack.com/la-crosse-technology/ws-3610u.html I want to know does anyone have one & if so does it work good.  I live in South Centrl TX so it doesnt get that cold here.
Take Care
Kevin

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »
After doing quite a bit of research (months) and reading many forums like this, I purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2. Many, many people recommended the Davis and I went through the same process you did budget wise. I saved up for a bit and wound up going for something that I knew would be reliable and last. I know you said you had a tight budget but if the readings aren't  as accurate, what is the point? Save yourself $200+ and keep your homepage set to wunderground or another local weather page who has a weather station. Or if you are dying to spend some money, get yourself a 2nd monitor and keep it on one of the above weather page(s).

I am not saying the other models and manufacturers are not accurate and are terrible but Davis seems to be the breadwinner in many categories based on my findings.

The webcams you can afford to save on. I think that is more a matter of opinion and how much you are looking to do with the webcam. You can save lots on going to circuitcity.com, ebay or any other store who sells electronics and put a webcam at the window. Microsoft VX-3000's aren't too bad and are under $60. Or scroll down a bit on this page http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2745.15 and you'll see a very cheap alternative for a weather camera. It won't live stream but this seems like the absolute best bang for your buck. Affordable, great quality, multiple software options but no live stream.

Overall, you generally get what you pay for with weather stations. I spoke personally with a few different people who seemed to know a bit about these weather stations and they all pointed to the Davis. It all depends on what you want but I strongly suggest you look around a bit and do some more research before you make a purchase you may regret down the road. Everyone wants a weather station for different reasons. Best of luck and let us know what you wound up getting.

Offline weatherman

• facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »
After doing quite a bit of research (months) and reading many forums like this, I purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2. Many, many people recommended the Davis and I went through the same process you did budget wise. I saved up for a bit and wound up going for something that I knew would be reliable and last. I know you said you had a tight budget but if the readings aren't  as accurate, what is the point? Save yourself $200+ and keep your homepage set to wunderground or another local weather page who has a weather station. Or if you are dying to spend some money, get yourself a 2nd monitor and keep it on one of the above weather page(s).

I am not saying the other models and manufacturers are not accurate and are terrible but Davis seems to be the breadwinner in many categories based on my findings.

The webcams you can afford to save on. I think that is more a matter of opinion and how much you are looking to do with the webcam. You can save lots on going to circuitcity.com, ebay or any other store who sells electronics and put a webcam at the window. Microsoft VX-3000's aren't too bad and are under $60. Or scroll down a bit on this page http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2745.15 and you'll see a very cheap alternative for a weather camera. It won't live stream but this seems like the absolute best bang for your buck. Affordable, great quality, multiple software options but no live stream.

Overall, you generally get what you pay for with weather stations. I spoke personally with a few different people who seemed to know a bit about these weather stations and they all pointed to the Davis. It all depends on what you want but I strongly suggest you look around a bit and do some more research before you make a purchase you may regret down the road. Everyone wants a weather station for different reasons. Best of luck and let us know what you wound up getting.

Hey I found another La Crosse its a WS & heres the link: http://www.weathershack.com/la-crosse-technology/ws-3610u.html I want to know does anyone have one & if so does it work good.  I live in South Centrl TX so it doesnt get that cold here.

Well I bought the La Crosse WS3610U I have not put it up yet but should have it up sometime next week & I will let everyone know how it went..
Take Care
Kevin

Offline LeomaTNWX

• Senior Contributor
    • Leoma, Tn Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 01:41:24 AM »
I have the 2315 and I am happy with it.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 02:15:12 AM »
I've been running with the WS-2310 since 2004 and (knock on wood) it's been doing fine too (with stock/supplied cables as well).