Author Topic: New Series Storm Chasers  (Read 28923 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
New Series Storm Chasers
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:16:34 PM »
Has any one else checked out this new Discovery Channel Series ?
I have been  recording it on DVR and watching as I have time but so far it has been interesting.
The TIV II sure seems to be having it's share of troubles though LOL!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: New Series Storm Chasers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:53:09 AM »
Yeah, its funny how the group with all the vehicles and technology gets trumped by the three guys in the SUV with a laptop every time.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 07:30:50 AM »
Yeah, its funny how the group with all the vehicles and technology gets trumped by the three guys in the SUV with a laptop every time.

Sure is!! Reed Timmer and his one vehicle crew almost make Josh and his multi vehicle brigade look silly !
Must be the issue of mobility..and Reeds crew being smaller can mobilize quicker.

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:34:01 AM »
sounds pretty similar to Twister, fully funded corporate team vs the little guys from the university...
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
I've been watching the series, been DVR'ing so I don't miss it.  But it is nice to see the 2 approaches.  But when you look at it, they have different approaches because of different goals.

Reed is just looking to make a buck off video.  Nothing else.  So down and dirty simple is what pays the bills.

The other crew is looking for data, as their primary goal.  With DOW and sensor pods.  And with IMAX video inside of the tornado if they can.  Sure the IMAX guy will turn a buck with video too.  But data is the goal.

On the TIV II, I have to put a dig in that he used a Dodge with new version.  There's his problem!  He should have stuck with the beat up old FORD platform.  (Ok, I'm a Ford Fan)  But on a serious note, I think he way under-estimated the axle/suspension/braking needed for a 15k lb vehicle.  What he really needed was a F450, or similar starting point.  Like the DOW.  Not a one ton type vehicle.  Even with dual axle dually's, he's over the weight constraints.

But hey, good luck to them.  It makes for good TV entertainment.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:44:45 PM »
I've been watching the series, been DVR'ing so I don't miss it.  But it is nice to see the 2 approaches.  But when you look at it, they have different approaches because of different goals.

Reed is just looking to make a buck off video.  Nothing else.  So down and dirty simple is what pays the bills.

The other crew is looking for data, as their primary goal.  With DOW and sensor pods.  And with IMAX video inside of the tornado if they can.  Sure the IMAX guy will turn a buck with video too.  But data is the goal.

On the TIV II, I have to put a dig in that he used a Dodge with new version.  There's his problem!  He should have stuck with the beat up old FORD platform.  (Ok, I'm a Ford Fan)  But on a serious note, I think he way under-estimated the axle/suspension/braking needed for a 15k lb vehicle.  What he really needed was a F450, or similar starting point.  Like the DOW.  Not a one ton type vehicle.  Even with dual axle dually's, he's over the weight constraints.

But hey, good luck to them.  It makes for good TV entertainment.

Thats it !! Two entirely different goals!
The data would be the more important of the two I would think as it has a greater potential to help more people in the long run.
Not too sure which was would have worked better on the TIV design. I drive a 2003 Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins and have had absolutely no trouble with it..On the other hand I work form a GM dealership and want no part of a Duramax :)  They may not be all that bad but I see the bad side of them all the time LOL!
Seriously though..when my Cummins wears out in a few million miles if DC is not using the Cummins I will have a Ford too LOL!!

With all the weight the TIVII is hauling around it's no wonder there are axle housings breaking and wheels parting company with the rest of the vehicle!! Man that things heavy!    I would guess that there would be a major payday for the IMAX crew if they were to get the shot during light they want !

Now I wish they'd bring back AX Men !

Wayne
ww.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
I found AX men, too boring, no "surprises".

blackjack52

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
Really good series.  This year's is already more intense than last, and it just started.

The really neat part is that all the tornados I chased from Apr this year w/ Virtual Chase at The WeatherBoard http://www.theweatherboard.com/index.php?categoryid=45&s=59759123839a1b9cbb1dd6b6ac679c31 are coinciding with the show.

I learned alot last yr from the show and applied it to the VC.  Both are an excellent educational source.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
I found AX men, too boring, no "surprises".

I actually enjoyed that series!  They had some good flood footage a time or two..and lots of snow LOL!
As for surprises I have waaay too many of them lately anyway LOL!!!
Ask me about a certain web site sometime :)

Wayne

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 09:06:45 PM »
Really good series.  This year's is already more intense than last, and it just started.

The really neat part is that all the tornados I chased from Apr this year w/ Virtual Chase at The WeatherBoard http://www.theweatherboard.com/index.php?categoryid=45&s=59759123839a1b9cbb1dd6b6ac679c31 are coinciding with the show.

I learned alot last yr from the show and applied it to the VC.  Both are an excellent educational source.

That's the way I take it also!! I find that the series is educational in a sense that you see some things that will work and some that will not.
I'll bet what you saw and learned was a big help with the Virtual Chase!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 11:54:31 AM »
Season finale is coming up Sunday I believe.. Previews seem to indicate a intense edition.

Maybe they will get to collect some pod data this round!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »
Season Finale already?   :-(

I've been DVR'ing it too. Havent watched last weeks yet.
Those guys from tornado videos have a blast. I checked out their site.
They do tours too.   :-)
Tony

blackjack52

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 05:20:20 PM »
Season finale is coming up Sunday I believe.. Previews seem to indicate a intense edition.

Maybe they will get to collect some pod data this round!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Hopefully they will not flank anymore storms.  Not wise to flank a storm, especially a squall.  It will out-run you and then you become the hunted.  I can't believe they did that.  Then again, I'm not driving.  Bad nav.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:55 PM »
They did cut it a little close on the last episode. When they somehow lost communication with the DOW it all went to crap!
If Danny had gotten his way I think they would have gotten some good pod data!

I can't imagine riding around in the TIV..a rolling lightning rod, during an intense lightning event! It'd be hard to sit on my hands that long LOL!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »
Tried looking this show up on the "canadianized" version of discovery channel.  Could not find it on the regular or HD special feed.   I guess they would rather repeat over and over again the crappy Cancon they must include to keep our national identity intact...

Guess I will need to see if this show has a big enough audience to support a torrent...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
Tried looking this show up on the "canadianized" version of discovery channel.  Could not find it on the regular or HD special feed.   I guess they would rather repeat over and over again the crappy Cancon they must include to keep our national identity intact...

Guess I will need to see if this show has a big enough audience to support a torrent...

Andrew

Didnt do a heck of a lot of digging, but found excerpts on hulu.com

http://www.hulu.com/search/discovery+channel?company=all&showname=storm+chasers&special_feature=all&type=all

Tony

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »
Hulu is one of the sites on a growing list of US streamers that for some reason has recently started IP monitoring and preventing viewing by non-american IP addresses.   It used to be that we could view anything, then the networks started blocking on their sites. Its funny I get pretty much every us network on cable, I can pvr Lost on the east coast, west coast, but if I go to ABC.com I cant watch last nights episode cause I am coming from outside the US.  Even some video on YouTube have started being blocked.

I found some torrents on mininova.   episodes 6 and 7 have pretty good seeds. 3 and 5 are minimal.   Something must have happened during episode 4 because its sees to be pretty much missed. and 1 and 2 are too old ...

discovery.ca mentions the show on their site, but nothing on the sched, maybe they will show this season in '09 or '10.... I feel like I am in England waiting for the Soprano's to come out on PAL/DVD....when on only miles from the border....

Andrew

Didnt do a heck of a lot of digging, but found excerpts on hulu.com
http://www.hulu.com/search/discovery+channel?company=all&showname=storm+chasers&special_feature=all&type=all

Offline ThorntonWeather

• ThorntonWeather.com
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 07:06:19 PM »
I've found this season kind of disappointing in comparison to the last.  I don't know why - just doesn't seem as exciting.  I suppose that could just be because it isn't "new" anymore.  It just seems to me that with the record tornado season this year there should be much more excitement that what there has been. 

I am hoping this coming episode will show the hunts they did in north central Kansas where my family is all from.  When I was up at NCAR in October (click here for details) I got to meet Justin Walker, the scout guy.  He said he was closer to tornadoes there than anywhere so maybe the episode will show some of that.

Tony

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:49 PM »
I usually set it to record on our DVR. I could save the episodes from here on out and burn them to a DVD for you.
I should have been saving them and recording the off to DVD anyway...What was I thinking :)

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 07:29:51 AM »
Wayne,
Thanks for the offer.  I should be fine going forward.   I was able to download 3,5,6 and 7 off torrents.  So the last episode should be easy enough to get.  I guess I can wait to see 1,2 and 4 once the cdn network gets its act together.

Thanks
Andrew

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
Wayne,
Thanks for the offer.  I should be fine going forward.   I was able to download 3,5,6 and 7 off torrents.  So the last episode should be easy enough to get.  I guess I can wait to see 1,2 and 4 once the cdn network gets its act together.

Thanks
Andrew

This week looks to be a good one ! Atleast from the previews!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline ThorntonWeather

• ThorntonWeather.com
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
Finally what I have been waiting for!  Last night's episode was awesome and I have to admit, it was pretty danged cool to have a personal connection to the area they were chasing too.  You heard them mention "Tipton" many times and that is where my family is all from - a little town of about 200 people where everyone knows everyone and everything that everyone is doing.  :)   It was kind of neat to watch and recognize different parts of the landscape as they were chasing. 

Tony

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 10:18:17 AM »
yep,
Sure was an interesting show this week.. Too bad it's the seasons finale!
It looked like Kearney got skirted pretty well..Having a relation like you have to an area makes the show that much more interesting!!!  You know about the area that way!!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
Cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
Did you see the flying cow in that episode? I ran it in slow motion and with picture zoom many times.  I bet that was one heck of trip for the poor thing. :-(

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »
LOL yes I did!
I heard Reed say we have debris then he said It's a cow :)
I bet there was some cottage cheese available after that ride :)

I wonder if the RFD actually blew Scout off the road or did Hannah hit him in the rear :)
She was sure doing some squealing about that time LOL!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:53:48 PM by W Thomas »

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

anything