Author Topic: Here's my station with some pics...  (Read 6138 times)

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
Here's my station with some pics...
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:09:23 PM »
I'm having trouble attaching pics...but I'm going to try again...

So I bought a 8' aluminum chainlink fence pole at Lowe's for a few bucks.  Mounted it in the ground with a bag of concrete almost 24" deep and so I have 6' exposed above ground.  It's very sturdy even in high winds.  The Davis VP2 ISS mounts perfectly to the pole with it's included hardware.

I ran plastic electrical conduit down the ISS pole, underground to my house 30' away, and that gave me a way to route my anemometer cable.  Once at the house, the cable is then tucked neatly behind the vinyl siding.  The only place you see cable is at the top of the ISS pole, and at the top of the chimney.  Cost me a few bucks and about two hours of my time.

I then mounted my anemometer to my chimney (my chimney is plywood with vinyl siding) with a 6' TV antenna pole and bracket kit from Lowe's.  Cost me $6 I think.  You can barely see one of the brackets in the picture.  The brackets screw into the chimney with two screws each.  The anemometer mounts to the top of the pole perfectly with it's included hardware.

So I have about $20-25 invested total in all my installation hardware.  My ISS is mounted 6' AGL (NWS standard) and my anemometer is mounted 33' AGL (NWS standard).  I get very accurate wind readings.  My rainfall readings are spot on when compared to a manual rain guage.  My temp. reading is perfect except for very hot sunny days.  I plan to fix this next season with a FARS kit.  I did have to calibrate the dewpoint....it was 3-5 degrees too high out of the box.

Sorry for the poor quality pics...if you click to enlarge them they aren't too bad..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:20:19 PM by WXman »
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Here's my station with some pics...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
Anemometer

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »
ISS up close...

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »
Congratulations - nicely done!  =D>

Now you can work on getting a website going so we can all see your data!
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything