Author Topic: Registration Challenges  (Read 2700 times)

Offline DrGeneNelson27

Registration Challenges
« on: December 31, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
I wonder if membership growth is being impeded by some "bugs" in the registration process. The dominant web browser is still Internet Explorer. Even with the newest version (11), it is impossible to register as the controls to rotate the icons during part of the necessary CAPCHA process do not work.  It was challenging to do, even with Google Chrome as the controls lacked sufficient resolution until several different image groups were utilized.

I suggest that an advisory that the registration process does not work with Internet Explorer 11 would be a minimal step. Alternately, please eliminate the authentication step with the icons that must be rotated. The user image recognition step should be sufficient!  #-o

Thank you for this website!  73 Gene Nelson KE5HXX  San Luis Obispo, CA

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Registration Challenges
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
Hi Gene, and welcome to WXforum.net!

The issue with IE9+ and the rotate-the-image captcha is well known and can be 'avoided' by instructing IE to access the website in 'compatibility mode', then the images will rotate as the sliders are moved.  It's an IE issue (as you said) as Chrome, Firefox and Opera have never had the issue.  On the info page (linked from the registration page) shows, IE users need bot "compatibility mode" and JavaScript enabled for the site to successfully complete registration

I hope you enjoy your stay with us, and thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
Hi Gene, and welcome to WXforum.net!

The issue with IE9+ and the rotate-the-image captcha is well known and can be 'avoided' by instructing IE to access the website in 'compatibility mode', then the images will rotate as the sliders are moved.  It's an IE issue (as you said) as Chrome, Firefox and Opera have never had the issue.  On the info page (linked from the registration page) shows, IE users need bot "compatibility mode" and JavaScript enabled for the site to successfully complete registration

I hope you enjoy your stay with us, and thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,
Ken

IE9...... there always has to be a point where a developer/web designer thinks "this is just too old and I can never please everyone..."

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 04:53:16 PM »
There's also a point where a 'hosting' developer must decide about crap registrations versus a 'spam free' forum.  Find a way to eliminate all the 'children' and 'idiots' out there, and we could all have a simple registration process.  Sigh... I remember when... . ... ... 

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »
I had installed the visual image rotation captcha several years ago to thwart a massive number of spambot autoregistrations as they had 'cracked' the simple captcha.  The image rotation captcha was good for a year or so, then some hackers cracked the default image set, so I had to create a new (unique) set of images to use in the rotation.  That has kept them at bay for quite a while now.

Forum stats show 9968 member registrations, and 8688 Spammers blocked up until today (thanks to the dual captcha and StopForumSpam flagging of known user/email/ip used by spammers).

The issue with IE9 (and all subsequent updates) is due to their JavaScript processing which differs from the more-standard versions in Chrome/Firefox/Opera .. not much I can do about it except detect it's IE and offer the note to use Compatibility Mode in the registration info page.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 12:57:41 PM »
The dominant web browser is still Internet Explorer
IE is the third or fourth most popular browser, and in decline. Chrome is the most common browser, by a huge margin.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »
And even those who don't like chrome or ff and prefer the Microsoft built in browser are likely to switch to edge over time

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 11:43:25 AM »
I have IE10 on my weather computer with Windows 8.0 so can't upgrade that, and scared to update to Windows 10 so more use of FF for me...

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
I have IE10 on my weather computer with Windows 8.0 so can't upgrade that, and scared to update to Windows 10 so more use of FF for me...

Paul

I would definitely use FF over IE, Chrome and FF offer you much more functionality and also based on my experience, are much better at handling some CSS and overall display of pages. They are both free and updated regularly, so I think IE users are mostly those who simply don´t even know there are alternatives, what a browser really is etc. The new Edge is slightly better, but still quite buggy and doesn´t offer any added value.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »
so I think IE users are mostly those who simply don´t even know there are alternatives,
That is not me,
what a browser really is
That is me!
etc.
like loyalty, and that is me again!!

Paul