Author Topic: Earthhour  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
Earthhour
« on: March 27, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »
Don't forget this.

http://www.earthhour.org/
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Earthhour
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
Lars,
  Thanks for posting this info.  I am an amateur astronomer and I want people to turn off the lights but also to make sure that the ones that are on only shine their light on the ground.  Not in the sky.  There is a group called the International Dark Sky Association. You can check out their website for further information.  If we all stopped illuminating the night sky,and, kept the light on the ground, we could save millions and millions of dollars, and, save a ton of energy. Check them out.
  http://www.darksky.org

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »
...snip snip...If we all stopped illuminating the night sky,and, kept the light on the ground, we could save millions and millions of dollars, and, save a ton of energy...snip snip...

And if my neighbor would only get rid of his driveway lights (six 100 watt) bulbs, I might be able to sleep at night...  ](*,)

He laughs when I talk about the International Dark Sky Association. That is a great group and has lots of information on how to responsibly provide outside nighttime lighting that won't bother your neighbor or diminish the nighttime sky views.

As you can tell, this is a sore spot with me. We live in an area where there are no street lights and just love to sit out and watch the stars and night sky, especially in the summer with next to no light pollution (most of the time).

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 03:18:26 AM »
Don, buy a water pistol and do some sniper training at the lights, there will be no evidence.  :twisted:
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »
 :grin:  Mark!  I couldn't agree with you more.  I have been a proponent of this movement for years.
Illuminate only the ground, and save $.
How can anyone argue with that?
 =D>

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »
Is this the same neightbour that has the generator that trains its too early for too long, and has no muffler/natural noise barrier?  Sounds worse than my pita one   Andrew

And if my neighbor would only get rid of his driveway lights (six 100 watt) bulbs, I might be able to sleep at night...  ](*,)

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »
:grin:  Mark!  I couldn't agree with you more.  I have been a proponent of this movement for years.
Illuminate only the ground, and save $.
How can anyone argue with that?
 =D>
Henry
Henry,
   They cannot argue with it so they ignore it, or talk about the "security" the lights provide.  They cannot see that bad lighting produces more shadows that hide criminals can hide in.  And not much crime takes place in mid-air #-o!! I have talked and argued over this stuff for 20 years.  Some progress is being made but not near enough. ](*,) ](*,)

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden