Author Topic: VP2 - Where to put it and how to connect it!  (Read 3388 times)

Offline jimmyt

VP2 - Where to put it and how to connect it!
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
This is a long read so I am really looking forward to and welcome your comments and feedback!

Hardware:  The budget is around $500 up front and then more as time goes on so I am pretty set on a Vantage Pro2 wireless - 6152.   I like the Pro because I can separate the anemometer from the rain / temp / humidity and the fact that down the road I can add the other sensors as well as a 24 hour aspirated radiation shield.

Location / Installation – Since we a typical suburban lot I am thinking about putting the anemometer at the peak of the roof which is about 30-35 feet up (already have a TV antenna up there) and then the meter itself will be about 5 feet above and at least 6” over the edge of the roof line.   To the one side the neighbor’s house is 25 feet away at approximately the same height and there is a maple tree about 30 feet away that as of now is 5-10 feet below where the anemometer will be.  I think it’s the best I can do if I want it that high.
As far as the ISS – I am thinking about mounting to a fence post that is 4.5’ tall and located about 45 feet from either house and 25 feet from the large maple tree  - or - I could mount it near the deck – 15 feet from the two story house and 15 feet from a 25’ tall Cleveland Pear tree.  The near the deck location is more ideal from an installation standpoint and a WAF standpoint, but I think it may have problems with accurate rain information.  Either way I will be between 100-200 feet from the Anemometer so I will need the extension cable.  As I look at it, it appears to just be standard phone wire (maybe cat3?)  I suppose I could just run shielded cat6 with an rj11 end?  If its near the deck I can run it inside the house and then tag onto the outdoor speaker wires which would involve no burying.  If it’s to the fence post then I will need to burry about 50 or so feet.  My plan was to take a spade and slit the ground to get the cable about 6” deep – or should I put it in conduit?
Any comments on either location?  The deck location would be in the shade most of the day so I worry about enough light hitting it to charge the batteries and it would be 2 feet from the deck, much like - illinimatt81, and I also worry about rain splash – although it would be 1 foot above the deck rail.  The yard location is just that.. nothing but grass, wood fence post and vinyl wrapped chain link around it.  It is in the sun for most of the day in the summer.  Not sure about the winter – I think its in sun for about half of the day..  How much sun does it really need to power up?  I guess I could always move it farther out in the yard and would just need a longer cable for the anemometer – or the way I look at it couldn’t I put the solar panel and iss control board in the sun and then run the connectors to the various sensors meaning the control board does not have to be mounted to the rain collector.

Connection to PC / Internet:  This is where I will need the most help.  I believe I am correct – that a physical connection from the console to either a pc or router is required and from there you have choices.  I am by no means a web expert but there are some great looking ones out there that you all have done.  My question – cost? (domain / hosting / free) and how much of it do you have to code or is it all template based?
I think the easiest way is to get the Davis 6510USB kit which I believe has the logger (physical connection) and that old school looking software, but if I pair that with meteobridge (TPlink router) then I can shoot it off to Wunderground, weathercloud, etc..  Are there any clones out there?  I found belfryboy has one that he will make.  Any others?  I also have read up on the meteostick, but that is even more than the Davis option and final, whats the difference between the USB and IP version of the davis logger?  Simply an Ethernet connection? 

That’s about all I can think of for now :)   I have attached a few pictures of the locations.  The ISS would go on on of the fence posts right where Gus is standing in the one picture.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: VP2 - Where to put it and how to connect it!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
I'll comment on a couple of your items.

Either way I will be between 100-200 feet from the Anemometer so I will need the extension cable.  As I look at it, it appears to just be standard phone wire (maybe cat3?)  I suppose I could just run shielded cat6 with an rj11 end?

For starters, do not use phone cable unless you cut off one end and re-terminate the RJ11 in "straight through" configuration. Phone cables will reverse the order and render the anemometer inop.

If you are going 100-200 feet in distance (is this "as the crow flies" or wire routing?), you might want to consider using the Anemometer Transmitter (#6332). Long wire runs do limit the maximum wind speed.

It is in the sun for most of the day in the summer.  Not sure about the winter – I think its in sun for about half of the day.

At my prior house, I had the ISS in a location that was mostly shaded except for the morning. I seemed to be able to pick up enough charge on the supercap that battery life wasn't a problem. Contrasting this to my Temp/Hum station before I installed the solar door that had about six months battery life, I think that you will be OK from what you describe.

Connection to PC / Internet:  This is where I will need the most help.  I believe I am correct – that a physical connection from the console to either a pc or router is required and from there you have choices.  I am by no means a web expert but there are some great looking ones out there that you all have done.  My question – cost? (domain / hosting / free) and how much of it do you have to code or is it all template based?
I think the easiest way is to get the Davis 6510USB kit which I believe has the logger (physical connection) and that old school looking software, but if I pair that with meteobridge (TPlink router) then I can shoot it off to Wunderground, weathercloud, etc..  Are there any clones out there?  I found belfryboy has one that he will make.  Any others?  I also have read up on the meteostick, but that is even more than the Davis option and final, whats the difference between the USB and IP version of the davis logger?  Simply an Ethernet connection? 

It sounds like you have a handle on the basics of the logger/console and getting the data out. I have a meteobridge and I really like it.

The Weatherlink IP comes bundled with a kind of hosting of your data on Weatherlink.com. It does allow a computerless installation. Indeed I started out with one, but I found the WLIP lacking as time went on. It is good starter solution, but it does have its quirks. It is a "flea-power" device and can't handle multiple connections to other programs, no "rapid fire" on WU, no ability to upload anywhere other than WU and CWOP (and that other "GLOBE" site).

Your station on weatherlink.com would look similar to this:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
thanks greg - Awesome website you have.  That vertual davis console is awesome.. thats what I want!  So i am assuming the ip version of the data logger is a waste and the best way is to get the usb version and get meteobridge.

The wire routing is actual distance not as crow flies..  should be about 145 feet.  as far as the wiring, I would terminate my ends straight and not use pretermined rj11's

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »
jimmyt,

Just a few comments. You're about 95% there.

1) Check Ryan at Scaled Instruments for unadvertised prices. Buy the #6152. Buy the 6510USB. Now, can you afford the 6332 Anemometer/Sensor Transmitter Kit?

2) If yes, then do exactly as planned except mount the 6332 on the side of the house at convenient maintenance level.

3) If no, then buy a 10' section of chain link fence top rail and drive it into the ground at the back fence and mount the entire outdoor unit on it temporarily.

4) Internet stuff is easy  :roll:, cheap too  :twisted:. There are a lot of good people here that can carry you through that. Programs are from free to about $100 ea. and internet service is from free to around $100 a year.

Just go for it.

George

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:14:57 PM »
I 2nd George's comments....

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
thanks for all the comments!   I like the idea of the wireless anemometer and that's something that I can do later on.. maybe in the spring.   The plan now is to get the station in a few weeks and just mount the whole thing on the fence..  I may forgo the chain link pole and just put it at the 5' mark on the existing fence pole and deal with the wind through the winter. 

Questions -
When I get the wireless anemometer I am assuming that the placement of the solar panel can be due east and it should still get enough juice.  With the wireless I am assuming its automatic to the console and can be logged as if it was plugged in?

Any opinions on rainmanweather.com vs scaledinstruments?  their prices are within a few $$ of each other

Anyone use belfryboy's logger?  Looks to be about $85usd shipped and seems to have good reviews,.. vs.  $110 for the davis usb version.

last one for now - on the meteobridge - what is preferred..  the dlink or tplink 3040 or 3020?  does it matter?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
Check shipping cost between rainmanweather and scaled instruments. I've ordered from both but generally use scaledinstruments but he doesn't carry Rainwise products. My last order was a Rainwise tipping bucket from rainmanweather and shipping seemed on steep side for box size, general UPS 3-5 ground.

Products Subtotal:   $65.66 
UPS Ground:  $18.60 
Randy

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:56 PM »
ok, took the plunge today from scaled instruments.. ryan was on the ball with a few questions and sounds like he backs his stuff if anything goes wrong.  I picked up the VP2 with upgraded sensor and the davis usb logger.  For the time being I will run it on our office pc thats on 24/7 - long term I am trying to figure out if I should go with meteobridge or meteohub.  Looks like the hub is basically a logging pc whereas the bridge pushes out to a website.  After that its figure out how to set up a website...   

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
I think it is hard to go wrong with the Meteobridge. :)  So much power and flexibility.  And cheap to buy and run.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
Bushman - thanks for the info..  I am looking at both the bridge and hub - I think the costs are almost a wash.. Hub - $35 for the pi and $65 for hub license = $100 / Bridge - $28 for the tplink and $71 for bridge license - $99

Not sure which way to go.. any advice would be appreciated :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:18:44 PM by jimmyt »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »
http://www.smartbedded.com/wiki/index.php/Comparison  But I know the capabilities of Meteobridge have increased considerably since that comparison chart was made; not sure about MH.  I recall that MH can run on a Raspberry Pi if that is important.  I think MB is more "set and forget" than MH. Of course you could be really hands-on and get a Pi and run weewx on it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »
ended up ordering a tp link 3020 - so I will set it up with meteobridge and see what happens from there :)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Sounds great!  Don't forget we have a dedicated Meteobridge/hub forum here!  It is a great little device.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
It is a great little device.

Yes! Agreed! Basically zero energy consumption, absolutely quiet, remote access, MySQL updates, FTP updates, weather networks updates...

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 09:22:04 PM »
Tp link 3020 arrived today..  Who knew post office via Amazon deliverers on Sunday.  Vantage pro arrives tomorrow..  Got the meteobridge set up.. Really easy.

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
ok, so it arrived yesterday - thanks scaled instruments! - didnt have time to set it up yet, but I did hillbilly rig it this morning and the console was able to get data from the iss.. put the davis logger on and couldn't get it to connect to the pc.. nor the meteobridge.. although I was rushing.. will spend more time with it tonight!

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »
i think I got it..  turns out the usb hub I had connected into the meteobridge was the problem..  when I removed it and plugged the station in directly - all was working :)  Here is the hub I used - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A81ISJ6  -  supposed to work based on this review - http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2015/02/product-review-using-meteobridge-connect-weather-station-internet/ - but it does not.. connecting direct does..  and I can even share it with that god awfull program that davis sends with their logger..  :)

for now.. here is what I have -

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KOHOHIO10

its a start!

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »
Congrats on getting your data online!
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
i think I got it..  turns out the usb hub I had connected into the meteobridge was the problem..  when I removed it and plugged the station in directly - all was working :)  Here is the hub I used - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A81ISJ6  -  supposed to work based on this review - http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2015/02/product-review-using-meteobridge-connect-weather-station-internet/ - but it does not.. connecting direct does..  and I can even share it with that god awfull program that davis sends with their logger..  :)

for now.. here is what I have -

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KOHOHIO10

its a start!

I was originally using the Belkin 2-port hub with my meteobridge, but I bought the one that you did and replaced it since it takes up less desk space. It works fine. Did you try this hub with your computer and other USB devices? Maybe you got a bad one.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
I plugged it in to the pc and it was recognized..  however, I didnt test it past that..  interestingly enough, in meteobridge when the hub was installed, all of the stations had the red "X" next to them.. when I took the hub off, I could select the Vantage Pro 2. 

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 07:13:04 PM »
turns out the hub was bad.  windows sees it and recognizes it, but the ports are then dead :(

Offline jimmyt

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »