Author Topic: Just got the replacement dual solar panel fan assembly!  (Read 8259 times)

Offline nerwin

• My Website
Just got the replacement dual solar panel fan assembly!
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »
After having overheating issues with the 5 in 1, I heard that AcuRite has released an updated fan assembly here so I contacted AcuRite, told them about the overheating issues and they without hassle sent me a new fan assembly unit. Though it was on backorder because a lot of people were requesting the new ones, but I finally got it last week and actually came 4 days early. I didn't have to pay a single dime. Heck, didn't even have to show proof of purchase.

Anyways. I got the unit and I wasn't too sure about it because it didn't look different until I took a look at the old fan assembly and noticed the color of the wires were different than the new one. The new one also had a sticker that said "QC2915" so I'm guessing that's a new 2015 model? I'm not sure. But I took both units outside into the sun and the new one was a lot more powerful and move the air much better. Also the fan in the new one came on instantly as I step outside into the sun versus the old one struggled to get going if it wasn't pointed directly at the sun.

I took pictures of the new assembly with my phone but for some reason they didn't save. Always happens to me. 

So I installed the new one and immediately noticed the temperatures starting to drop back to normal. In fact, the temp readings from the 5 in 1 are now LOWER than the tower sensor that is placed in the shade. Sometimes 2 degrees less and so far its been pretty dang spot on with nearby stations.

Time will tell how long this new fan assembly will last, but I'm positive.

Also one of the developers at wunderground told me on Twitter that next week they are rolling out new algorithms that should work a lot better with the AcuRite stations. So that's awesome.

Anyways I'm happy to finally have my station back working as it should. I'm reporting the 5 in 1 temps to wunderground now and just using my tower sensor for comparison every now and then.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Just got the replacement dual solar panel fan assembly!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
Me too. My sensor is running as it should now that my motor is in good shape. I assume that it is a different brand of motor... being the wires are different colors.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 06:29:19 PM »
Are they only replacing the dual-panel modules? I'm guessing since I have a single panel version, I'd have to pay for the upgrade..?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:32:59 PM »
If the single panel is not running right, then I would assume if you contact them, that they may consider replacement... I have no idea if the motors are the same bad batch as what was in the dual head. If you want to "upgrade" to the two panel version, you would have to buy it.

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
Is there a model number associated with this upgrade?

Thanks,
Chris
moreheadcityweather.com

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »
My unit was a single Panel bought last year after Christmas at Costco. When I contacted them and told them everything I had done they immediately agreed to send me a updated dual panel top so if they decide your unit is within warranty and the fan is bad that's what they'll send you. You don't have to send back your old one and no charge to you at all.
Mine seems to track much better with the updated unit and I had enough leftover parts to repair my first 1510 5-1 that was all sun beaten but the fan still worked as I broke the wind cups when changing them out.
Next they need to work on plastic that doesn't bake out and turn yellow and brittle after 2 or 3 years but real happy with their customer service on my newer unit.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »
Is there a model number associated with this upgrade?

Thanks,
Chris
moreheadcityweather.com

On the instruction pamphlet they sent with the part it has 06003RM/5N1DSSA and another sticker that has QC 2915 on the wind/fan assembly itself and on the shipping box. The motor I got this time has red and white wires on it instead of black and red that the bad motor had.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »
That 2915 QC code is the manufacture date...week 29, year 2015.  You want the latest date, not something that says xx14 because that would be last year's "unimproved" model

Offline tnelson

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:32 PM »
Does the dual panel assembly include the fan?

Just wondering, if it is part of the assembly I will order one as my fan has stopped working.

Tom

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
The station is built in modular sections probably to be easy to manufacture and service later. They sell individual parts, and sub assembles so you can repair a whole section or just a broken part, like the wind cups.
As far as warranty replacement fans they send you a complete top assembly that includes the solar cells, fan, and wind cups, just take your old one apart (very easy) and put the new top in place of the old one and screw everything back together and your done.

Offline tnelson

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 06:38:14 PM »
Thanks, you probably answered my question, but just to make sure...

This is not a warranty repair, my station is well out of warranty.

The fan starts and stops depending on its mood, as a results the temps can be quite a bit off.

The Acurite site does not list a fan part for sale in their part department. They do list the Pro upgrade for the 5-in-1
http://www.acurite.com/accessories-parts/sensors/5-in-1-sensor-dual-solar-panel-wind-cups-add-on-5n1dssa.html

But it does not explicitly say it includes the fan, only that the upgrade allows the fan to run more often.

So before I purchase the Pro upgrade, I just want to make sure that the fan is part of the Pro upgrade assembly.

Thanks  :-)

Tom

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
It's the whole new top, just like they sent me so yes it includes the fan and wind cups too. Have you tried opening a ticket with them? They MIGHT be willing to replace yours seeing how it's a known problem, worth a shot as I wasn't sure mine was under a year old anymore but they sent me a new one. Worse they can say is no and you buy a dual panel upgrade anyways.

Offline stevexyz

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »
I called in a few days ago because my 5in1 has been reading very high Temps in sunlight (e.g. 87 when others read 73). They agreed it was a known problem and said they'd replace, but they are back ordered on the replacement parts and don't have an estimate for restock.

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »
I called in a few days ago because my 5in1 has been reading very high Temps in sunlight (e.g. 87 when others read 73). They agreed it was a known problem and said they'd replace, but they are back ordered on the replacement parts and don't have an estimate for restock.

Same for me.  I'm on the list for replacement on my dual panel as well once they get back in stock.  Wonder how much these replacements are costing them??
Ambient WS-5000 (KVACHEST93)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 07:40:09 PM »
I wonder if they changed motor brands, or if they just got a bad set of motors in one particular production line of the dual heads? The problem period was late last year and early this year I believe...

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 11:40:20 PM »
I'm still waiting on my replacement.  I haven't contacted them recently to see if they're back in stock/shipping them.  Anyone heard anything?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »
I'm still waiting on my replacement.  I haven't contacted them recently to see if they're back in stock/shipping them.  Anyone heard anything?

I heard something on the support board recently that mentioned a new shipment was expected on Sep 28, and they would start shipping after a bit of QA.

Offline easyeggplant

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I have been on the list for a little over a month and still have not received my replacement assembly.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
I looked into getting one:  was going to cost me just about $80 CAD!  Crazy...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »
IMO, acurite should do a re-design of their all in one or do something else with separate gauges because they have too many problems being found with high air temperatures. Even low readings at night.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »
IMO, acurite should do a re-design of their all in one or do something else with separate gauges because they have too many problems being found with high air temperatures. Even low readings at night.

agreed.  Or at least remote the therm sensor into its own radiation shield.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »

agreed.  Or at least remote the therm sensor into its own radiation shield.

This is what I've done with a tower sensor but it only works to display through my Meteobridge and my local displays still show the erroneous temperatures.   Since I put the tower sensor in a Stevenson Shield CWOP stopped yelling at me about it every day.

Offline easyeggplant

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »
Received my replacement assembly.  Fan motor seems to be initiated easily now, even in cloud cover. 

Time will tell if this replacement is an acceptable solution, I'd like it to last more than the original 2 months.  If not, I'll seek an alternative solution.   

Offline stevexyz

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 01:07:06 AM »
I just received mine, after calling in for a replacement in August. Seems they finally got more stock in.

I took it outside in weak evening sunlight (around 6pm with some cloud cover) and the fan started easily. So I'm optimistic this will work better. I'll report back in a few days.

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
I also got an upgraded version of the dual solar panel fan assembly too after contacting them letting them know that my 5 in 1 was reporting innacurate temps. Once I install it I will hopefully be able to switch back from my tower sensor to my 5 in 1 again.