Author Topic: Buying weather station for school  (Read 2611 times)

Offline tyeguy37

Buying weather station for school
« on: December 04, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
Hi all - great discussion board, so thanks in advance. 

Been looking through the forum for guidance and suggestions on what to buy for our school.  I am looking for the following - please let me know if what I think I want makes sense: a weather station with all the bells and whistles (camera included) that can upload data wirelessly to Weather Underground, and maybe even provide data that the students can view at any time and tabulate.  The key is for this to be wireless so that I don't have to run any network/USB wires to/from the weather station.  I'm hoping that all I would need for wiring is power to the weather station.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  It sounds like a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus package would be the way to go, but I want to make sure I have a full list of all I need so that we can get everything we need upfront.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Buying weather station for school
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »
Hi all - great discussion board, so thanks in advance. 

Been looking through the forum for guidance and suggestions on what to buy for our school.  I am looking for the following - please let me know if what I think I want makes sense: a weather station with all the bells and whistles (camera included) that can upload data wirelessly to Weather Underground, and maybe even provide data that the students can view at any time and tabulate.  The key is for this to be wireless so that I don't have to run any network/USB wires to/from the weather station.  I'm hoping that all I would need for wiring is power to the weather station.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  It sounds like a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus package would be the way to go, but I want to make sure I have a full list of all I need so that we can get everything we need upfront.

Most company offer a model with wireless.
It is the console that you will have to worry about.

If you want to upload data wo WU or do anything with the data you will need a logger on the console and that will require wires and or a system to collect the data for you and do the uploads....
Davis is an awesome start.
There is also RainWise and R.M. Young.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
RM Young=$$$

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
RM Young=$$$

That is true...
Those are my favorite brands. :D
There is also Oregon Scientific and some others :)

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 01:37:15 PM »
RM Young=$$$

That is true...
Respectfully, OS nor my VP2 can hold RMY's jockstrap.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
RM Young=$$$

That is true...
Respectfully, OS nor my VP2 can hold RMY's jockstrap.

LOL

----

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
There are some teachers here, like Chief-David http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=528 and m77 http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=2310, who have placed weather stations at their school and hopefully they will chime in with their experiences...

Good luck,
Paul

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
Hi. I am on the way home then I can give you some ideas.

weather.rms.rdale.org

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
Here is a thread that I had with another teacher.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24915.msg239822#msg239822

Here is my quote from that thread
I teach in MPLS and have a VP2 on the building.  Had a station for 7 years.

Get the Davis-it is worth the money. Goes through most building infrastructure. Ours has a solar and uv sensor too.  It adds to the functionality by making a TSHW number.

I do not have the fan shield even though it is a tar and pebble roof.  It does not seem to make a difference with the stations around me.  You could have two stations next to each other and not agree on temps.

Our station is put up with a tripod on top of 2x4's in different directions, and sand bags. I put a lot of sandbags on them. I also took an 80 mph wind a few years ago and was fine.
There are flat roof mounts around.  You may have to talk to your Building supervisor.
There are threads about it.

Get the data logger. Send it to a website and something on your school site

Buy a webcam. they are cheap.

You be the one in charge of it.  There are two other schools that had one after me,  neither are used or taken care of. I am almost fanatical about my site.

Ask IT for a dedicated computer. Have it run all the time. They may have to set it up to do that.
Put on teamviewer. That way you can access it when at home, if an issue occurs. It goes through the fire wall.

Ask for help.  Me, other, wxforum. Lots of knowledge here.

http://weather.rms.rdale.org

PM me any time. Always glad to help out.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline tyeguy37

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
Thanks everyone!

chief-david, thank you for this information - it is really helpful.  So here is the list of items I am planning to purchase based on your suggestion:
1) Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with UV and Solar Radiation Sensors
2) Davis Weatherlink IP Software for Vantage Pro and Weather Envoy (is this the data logger?)

What kind of webcam should I get - any recommendations? 
And just to double-check: is the Weatherlink software the data logger?  Or is the data logger something else?

Is there anything here that I am missing besides a mount/tripod?  I want to make sure I order everything in one shot.  Thanks!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »
And just to double-check: is the Weatherlink software the data logger?  Or is the data logger something else?

Basically, yes. The logger is bundled with the Weatherlink software. For example, if you buy the Weatherlink IP, you will get the logger and the software in the box.

From Davis' web site about what is included:

Includes software on CD, data logger, and 5' (1.5 M) cable to connect the data logger to your broadband router.

The only exception to this is the "extra user license", where the software comes alone. Whatever version of logger you buy, it will be sold as "Weatherlink Software". This would include the IP version, the USB and the Serial.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
  http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06555

Whats nice about it especially for a school set up data will be hosted by Davis and the monthly subscription is included.
Randy

Offline tyeguy37

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »
Thanks, and all this will enable us to upload data to WeatherUnderground easily?

Offline tyeguy37

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
Does this Davis package sold on Amazon have everything?  Are there any drawbacks other than it being a VantageVue with everything built-in?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JREM2QK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00JREM2QK&linkCode=as2&tag=weatheunderg-20&linkId=Z7UC3KHATZNWC6AT

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
Thanks, and all this will enable us to upload data to WeatherUnderground easily?

WLIP uploads to the Davis "Weatherlink.com" site. Davis' servers in turn upload to WU. It is a "round about" method.
The Ambient Weather package using the "Weatherbridge" (A.K.A. meteobridge) can upload to WU directly. It is a different solution consisting of some non-Davis hardware and embedded software.

The Ambient package doesn't include a "console" for direct viewing, a PC, Smartphone or similar is needed to read your data.

The AirBridge (A.K.A. meteostick) doesn't have quite the reception range as the console would. If the VUE ISS is fairly close to wherever you are placing the receiving end, it could be a good solution. (among several)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tyeguy37

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »
OK thanks - and in terms of connecting a webcam to this setup, is that relatively easy to do?  Is it just a USB connection plugged in somewhere on the Davis?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
Not even close to a VP2+,  plus as Greg stated it doesn't include a console. Go to Scaled instruments and look at the VP2 stations on discount price list. There are no discounts on Weatherlink IP but the discount price list has good deals on the station itself.  Ryan at Scaled is also an expert on Davis stations and worth speaking with before final decision.
Randy

Offline tyeguy37

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »
Thanks ValentineWeather.  Just had a good phone convo with Ryan. 

So any recommendations on camera?  This is the one area I am not clear on yet.  Am I just getting a USB camera that plugs into the Davis somewhere?  Is there anyone who has a camera in their setup and feeds that camera into Weather Underground?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »

So any recommendations on camera?  This is the one area I am not clear on yet.  Am I just getting a USB camera that plugs into the Davis somewhere?  Is there anyone who has a camera in their setup and feeds that camera into Weather Underground?
Cameras do not plug into the weather station.  I use Foscam mainly because they are low cost and they are IP cameras.  There are a lot of different cameras, from not so good to very good. depends on your need and available cash.  This is my webcam page. I have two Foscam FI9826p   http://www.desmoinesweather.org/webcam.htm  behind glass.  they make external cameras as well

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
You do have to be slightly careful with the IP logger in a school setting, depending on how locked down your network might be. Remember that:

1. The IP logger expects to see a DHCP server when it starts up;

2. There must be a port open on any school firewall to allow outbound access for port 80 (cannot be reassigned);

3. Cannot use a proxy server;

If you're not sure what these points mean then consult the network administrator.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline tyeguy37

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
Thanks - @johnd - since I am the IT guy around here, getting around those issues won't be much of a problem.

@aardvark - I have come across the Foscam in my research.  I will need to find the one I need, but I most likely will go with this brand.  Any ideas how it is fed to WeatherUnderground?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »

To answer this question yes Weatherlink IP network has these features which include two of the more requested, uploads to Weather Underground and CWOP.

Features Include
Automatically upload data to third-party weather sites including CWOP (Citizen Weather Observer Program), Weather Underground, the GLOBE Program, and more.

Receive a daily weather summary e-mail.

Get up to 10 daily alarm alerts.

Download data to your PC from WeatherLink.com for all the powerful charting, graphing, and analysis as our WeatherLink software.

With Extra User License Kits, you can even download the data independently to multiple PCs—ideal for schools, agriculture, scientific fieldwork, and remote locations.

Choose a logging interval of 1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, or 120 minutes.

4x data storage on WeatherLink.com compared to a basic data logger.

Show your weather information on the WeatherLink Network map.

View your data on your Android or iPhone device using a free application.
Randy

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 installed at my school and I used the Davis Weatherlink package (NOT Weatherlink IP).

The Weatherlink logger connects to a dedicated PC and the PC then passes the data on to Weather Underground if you wish.  I guess the disadvantage is that the PC has to be on 24/7.  Advantages are that the data is stored on the PC so that it is collected even if the Internet goes down.  The maintenance dept manager (a weather geek) even bought me a UPS to keep the PC up in a short duration power failure.  The package is also cheaper than Weatherlink IP.

I can't help you on the camera, but there are directions on WU as to how to upload to them.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »
This will help http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/signup.html#addcam
but from my experience with WU, it is not the most reliable http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/PaulMy/1/show.html

Good luck,
Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »

Cameras do not plug into the weather station.  I use Foscam mainly because they are low cost and they are IP cameras.  There are a lot of different cameras, from not so good to very good. depends on your need and available cash.  This is my webcam page. I have two Foscam FI9826p   http://www.desmoinesweather.org/webcam.htm  behind glass.  they make external cameras as well

Not exactly correct - Ubiquiti cams are directly interfaced with Meteobridge.  If this is for school, I would use this as a chance to get students involved.  Buy a nice Davis unit with USB and hook it up to a Raspberry Pi (weewx, meteohub etc.) and get the kids to actually learn something.  My kid's school just WASTED $20K on Macbook Pros.  (Don;t get me started...)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!