Author Topic: Dewpoint reading showing higher than the temperature?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Dewpoint reading showing higher than the temperature?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 12:56:38 PM »
Seems to me that the dew point issue you are having has to do with some design limitations of your console. Perhaps the 5-in-1 behaves differently when connected to the Access or to a different model console. I've never before taken the time to explore how well the output from any Acurite consoles is. So perhaps this initial analysis is not indicative of all Acurite consoles. But just taking this at face value with the model console you have and comparing it to your nearest neighbor with an Ambient WS-2902A station there is a big difference. I know this should not be the only comparison to take into consideration. So I'm not disparaging on Acurite. I'm just making an initial observation and it is important to realize that the 5-in-1 is not Acurite's top model as that would the the Atlas. But the Acurite 5-in-1 is closer in price with the Ambient WS-2902A more so than the pricier Atlas.

The dew point issue where often the dew point is greater than the current temperature as RH nears 99% is evident when comparing to your neighbor station with an Ambient hardware that is only 4 miles away.

Your Acurite 5-in-1 Station:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Less precision (and/or longer update intervals) probably is causing dew point lines to sometimes be greater than current temperature. Notice dew point green line above temperature red line occurs often. This is bad.

Ambient WS-2902A station 4 miles away:
Dew point never rises above current temperature even as RH reaches 99%. Nice smooth graphing lines with much precision. Notice dew point green line never goes above temperature red line. This is good.

Which would you rather have? Notice the increased resolution. How often a console uploads to WU does not matter if the sensors themselves don't update the console with good enough resolution.

Both of these graphs were taken from the Old site where decimals are graphed.

But temperature and dew point isn't the only thing to compare. Take a look at wind direction. Seems that the Acurite 5-in-1 only has 16 compass rose direction points to report. The Ambient has 360 degrees. Again because of location and siting the wind is likely different. I'm not comparing the actual wind directions...I'm comparing the number of precision points that each hardware is capable of.

Your Acurite 5-in-1:
Considerably limited to 16 direction points.

Nearest Ambient WS-2902A 4 miles away:
360 degrees of direction points precision

Other points of comparison is that you gain UV and solar radiation with the Ambient. Yes you have lighting with the Acurite that Ambient does not offer.

Also interestingly with your console you have total rain but there is no rain rate being reported.

Bottom line: I don't think an Acurite 5-in-1 (with the WiFi console) is a match for a comparably priced Ambient. Perhaps it would be interesting to do this comparison with the more expensive Atlas where I expect things to be more equal (I think as I haven't looked at that yet.) The Acurite 5-in-1 does seem to have a nicer display than the WS-2902A. But there is always the Ambient WS-2000 with an incredible screen that then approaches close to the Acurite Atlas price....but WS-2000 is still considerably less than the Atlas. The WS-2000 has the same excellent sensor suite as the WS-2902A. I'm trying to be fair and impartial and not hiding the pros and cons of each that I see.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:32:56 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
That is a bug in the Wifi model display console. Other Acurite consoles do not send Dewpoint this way... The humidity is only 98%.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
So which is the best Acurite display console that does not have this bug? And that reports to WU? Perhaps none and you need the Access?

Regardless it seems that the 5-in-1 does have the wind resolution limited to 16 points and that is not related to the console.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 11:39:20 PM »
So which is the best Acurite display console that does not have this bug? And that reports to WU? Perhaps none and you need the Access?

Regardless it seems that the 5-in-1 does have the wind resolution limited to 16 points and that is not related to the console.

Since when did this thread become an Ambient comparison to Acurite gear?

As much as I despise the term, "Ambient Fanboi" certainly fits to galfert.

There's at least one other WiFi console for the 5n1.  I've no idea if it has this particular bug.

As per Acurite's habit, I expect there will be other displays in the future.

And at the risk of triggering someone, if this particular display is sending data to www.wunderground.com instead of rtupdate.wunderground.com, it might explain why rain rate isn't being plotted from this device.  Wunderground has been intending to remove the temporary patch they installed on www last year that plots rain rate.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:44:24 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
This thread is about solving the erroneous dew point problem of the OP. The OP has already declared that they are not enamored with the 5-in-1 and that they may send it back. Therefore a possible solution is to consider other products. So it is natural to now compare products to ensure that this dew point issue isn't present in a different product. See how I got there? I don't mind having to spell it out.

A fanboi is someone who is obsessed with Apple devices and I'm no such person as I don't own Apple products. I know the term has spread to include other brands but I prefer to not be associated with Apple because that's where that spelling originated. Fanboy on the other hand would be a better word choice. The "i" in fanboi is there as a significance of Apple i-devices.

Moving on....for me to be an Ambient fanboy I would have to promote the brand and do so at any expense of the truth and I would have to see Ambient with rose colored glasses. You can search and find the many posts where I criticize Ambient and mention Pros and Cons. I criticize all the brands equally and fairly. I lay it all out. Just read my previous post and you see that I mention how the 5-in-1 has a better screen than a WS-2902A and how it has a lightning sensor and Ambient doesn't. I'm not covering up any information. I don't make up excuses for Ambient. I sing the praises of all the brands. And I call out all the faults. I said how the Atlas is a great device improvement over the 5-in1 and more comparable to the WS-2000....but each with their own flaws. Ive mention before how the Atlas has an SHT31 and Ambient has a lowly SHT30. So I don't think fanboy is fitting of me. I've mentioned how there isn't any perfect hardware to buy...even including Davis. Unlike you that is, always the defacto damage control for the Acurite brand as if you were a paid spokesperson.... YOU are the fanboy not me. If I "had" to be a fanboy as in forced to be one, then I'd be a Davis fanboy...but not today... maybe when the VP3 comes out. But only if it is perfect...which then breaks the fanboy definition.

Ambient is cheap Chinese hardware. I've said it before. But it doesn't break the bank and is good value, is more durable than previous versions, has better sensors than previous versions and is capable of delivering data easily everywhere I want. Only reason I bought into it is because there is no VP3 yet and there is no Elite yet. I'm just buying time with my Ambient. And I've been pleasantly surprised by it, yet it has faults that I've mentioned many times.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:14:57 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »
You’ve got some serious issues.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »
You’ve got some serious issues.

All the PMs that I get from other people regarding you would suggest otherwise.
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2019, 09:53:30 AM »
I would suggest dropping this before someone goes too far... Stick to discussing the weather gear, and not trading blows.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
He's already gone too far.  Gossiping behind my back is just another of his antics.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:28:54 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Dj1225

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 11:31:57 PM »
He's already gone too far.  Gossiping behind my back is just another of his antics.
  I've been on this site for years, and I read about all the brands on here because I am a weather fanatic and love to record weather data. I have had some sort of Davis weather station since 1996, but if there is another brand that has a model that piques my interest I would certainly try it out. Like galfert said is Davis perfect by no means...the rain gauge isn't very accurate, the SHT31 sensor was showing a wet bias in some units (I switched to a SHT75) there's no lightning detection and no color hd console. But if someone came on here and said Davis sucks I'm sending my VP2 back I'm not going to get all up into my feelings about Davis even though I've used that brand for over 20 years, and get annoyed with people, be snarky with them, be condescending, and basically have an attitude, because they are having issues with their Davis like you seem to do when people have issues with their Acurite weather station, and you haven't had that specific issue. This site is a community of people with the same hobby, and we are here to help people, answer questions, brainstorm etc...If you try to help someone with their station and they can't get it to work, and want to send it back.. ok so be it! Why do you have to chime in like your feelings are hurt, and be a jerk because the brand you use and like, someone else is having an issue with it and wants to send it back? From what I've been reading there are a lot of problems with the Acurite Atlas and you know what that's to be expected because it hasn't been out long, but I'm sure eventually all the bugs and kinks will be worked out, and it will be a very good, reliable station. But if someone comes on here looking for help, advice, whatever and they can't get the issue fixed, and want to send it back...ok relax no need to get huffy and puffy about it, and act like it's a big deal to you and be so snarky to people, because you know what yours works fine you helped to the best of your ability oh well let them move on. People are going to talk crap about it, but you don't have to be on here to defend it like you invented it, because if and when people bash Davis even though I've been a loyal customer for over 20 years I don't take it personal like you seem to do my man.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:39:32 PM by Dj1225 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
When people talk “crap”, I’m going to talk back.  And, boy, there’s a lot of that here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 12:33:22 PM »
Give it a rest, George -- your insistence on speaking hostilely to people who (in your eyes) offend your sensibilities is tiresome and unwelcome in the forum.  If you can't treat your fellow members with polite, factual, non-hostile criticism, then you need to find another venue to vent your spleen.

Enough already.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
Where have I not been factual?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
It's not the factual, it's the hostility.  Your factual responses are accompanied with disparaging remarks about the other posters and that is the unwanted and hostile content that needs to cease.  Stick to facts, omit disparaging comments about the other posters. 
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the dewpoint reading showing higher than this temp.  This is via Weather Underground, but also showing this same reading on my console. 

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.  If I ever sounded rude to anyone, I apologize.  That is not who I am and try to help all I can.  Sometimes I get in a hurry and not tech savvy as I have already stated, so if I say something that does not make sense, overlook it.   :-)

Did you contact Acurite Support? I've only had our Atlas for about a month now and not seen this problem. I've read in other threads their support people are helpful but haven't used them myself. Hopefully they'll get this fixed for you.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the dewpoint reading showing higher than this temp.  This is via Weather Underground, but also showing this same reading on my console. 

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.  If I ever sounded rude to anyone, I apologize.  That is not who I am and try to help all I can.  Sometimes I get in a hurry and not tech savvy as I have already stated, so if I say something that does not make sense, overlook it.   :-)

Did you contact Acurite Support? I've only had our Atlas for about a month now and not seen this problem. I've read in other threads their support people are helpful but haven't used them myself. Hopefully they'll get this fixed for you.

Since I posted the 5-in-1 / WS-2902A comparison a few posts up I've compared the Atlas. The Atlas does not exhibit this dew point problem. I don't know if that is a function of the Access that the Atlas communicates to the Internet with or not. I'm looking for a 5-in-1 with an Access but haven't found one yet. If anyone has a 5-in-1 with an Access please post your WU ID so that we can take a look.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
It's not the factual, it's the hostility.  Your factual responses are accompanied with disparaging remarks about the other posters and that is the unwanted and hostile content that needs to cease.  Stick to facts, omit disparaging comments about the other posters.

I have to disagree.  Apparently it’s OK for others to do it, though.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
You're free to disagree .. multiple moderation reports the last week suggest you may not be understanding the issue.  It's not 'OK' for anyone to post hostile content.  Omit the disparaging comments from your posts -- that's the main point.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »
The dewpoint is calculated in the reporting device.   It doesn’t have anything to do with the particular sensor device other than using temperature and relative humidity values.

In other words, it’s coming from the Access... not the 5n1 or Atlas.

If someone is using third party software (like Acuparse or weewx) the reported dewpoint is coming from there.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
You're free to disagree .. multiple moderation reports the last week suggest you may not be understanding the issue.  It's not 'OK' for anyone to post hostile content.  Omit the disparaging comments from your posts -- that's the main point.

I’ve been doing so, but apparently no matter what I say, someone takes offense.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »

I’ve been doing so, but apparently no matter what I say, someone takes offense.

They take offense whenever you add personally disparaging remarks to your posts.

The dewpoint is calculated in the reporting device.   It doesn’t have anything to do with the particular sensor device other than using temperature and relative humidity values.

In other words, it’s coming from the Access... not the 5n1 or Atlas.

If someone is using third party software (like Acuparse or weewx) the reported dewpoint is coming from there.

This post was good.. it has no inclusion of personally disparaging remarks.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
And you'll find most (nearly all) of my posts are like that.

I'm not the one who came out swinging for the fences being disparaging about me in this thread, which is why I took offense.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:39:29 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
nincehelser is right. I found a 5-in-1 with an Access reporting to WU. No problem with dew point. I didn't doubt it, just good to see with own eyes what it looks like.

Still has low res wind direction with just 16 points obviously as that is determined by the 5-in-1. Unfortunately this also means that if you value the display then it isn't going to agree in regards to dew point. But even upgrading to the Atlas which also doesn't have this problem with its display you then have the switch over to heat index when the temp rises.

Maybe this can be expressed to Acurite for them to make firmware changes.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what the Elite brings and I hope they learn and sort these issues before its release.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:19:12 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2019, 09:20:13 PM »

Hello.  Yes and finally received a reply.  lol.  Apparently they have been on a "vacation holiday".  A lady from there told me to do a "reset" on the console and that should rid the problem.  I did so and had to reconnect to the wi-fi.  I did lose all of the history that my station had recorded, but I have only had it going for about a week, so it was no big loss on that.  I checked the readings of the dewpoint on this versus the scales online and it seems be on target now.  Thanks!

I also asked if there was a way to override something and keep the dewpoint displayed over 80 and she said no.  Other than the DP showing higher than the temperature at times in the mornings, that has been my only other disappointment with this so far.   

Offline aspexin91

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »

Hello.  Yes and finally received a reply.  lol.  Apparently they have been on a "vacation holiday".  A lady from there told me to do a "reset" on the console and that should rid the problem.  I did so and had to reconnect to the wi-fi.  I did lose all of the history that my station had recorded, but I have only had it going for about a week, so it was no big loss on that.  I checked the readings of the dewpoint on this versus the scales online and it seems be on target now.  Thanks!

I also asked if there was a way to override something and keep the dewpoint displayed over 80 and she said no.  Other than the DP showing higher than the temperature at times in the mornings, that has been my only other disappointment with this so far.

Well that is good to hear. I know I would have been frustrated if my Atlas was having the same problem.

anything