Author Topic: What do you like/love about your weather station?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline billunger

What do you like/love about your weather station?
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
I am still debating whether I should buy a weather station.  If I buy one, I feel like I should buy a quality station and would likely drop $300 on a Davis Vantage Vue.  The problem that I am having is whether I will use it/love it and at $300, that is a big question.  So...  what do you all like/love about having your own weather station?

tia,
Bill

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: What do you like/love about your weather station?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
I love my Vantage Pro2! Alot of fun to see what's going on without actually going outside. It's always nice to be able to have your own weather report.

What I love about my weather station was being able to customize it with the add on sensors. The VP2 also makes for flexible sitting. The Vue everything is together and can be hard to site the sensor.

I personaly don't trust the NWS because so far and in between with the slow slow updates. I could care less about what the weather was at the airport 20 miles away an hour ago. You know what they say, if you want something done gotta do it your self. Setting up and having your own weather station is alot of fun and no real regrets.

If you eventually get WeatherLink for the Vue you can sign up for CWOP and enter the call sign into the program and get your station reporting to the NWS through MADIS. Now that's something to brag about!

Owning a weather station in my honest opinion is one of the most exciting hobbies out there.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
I enjoy my VP2.    IF I had my druthers.. I should have gone with the full time Fars, the dylight does make a significant difference, but those warm humid balmy nights we get during the summer,  I think the values are a bit off because the daylight isn't running.

other than that, it works perfectly for me.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
I really like my VP2.  I know Davis or their resellers will have spare parts for it.  Parts fail and wear out over time.  I just had an anemometer fail after 40 months in use.  The reed switch went out and the wind speed reporting stopped.  It had sustained +65 mph winds a few days before.  After I took it down and replaced it, I also found that the wind vane bearings had grit in them and were stiff.

I should mention that during that wind firestorm that Reno had last week ago my station was one of the few PWSes providing wind speeds and directions in the area of the fire.  The local TV stations were reporting my data from my web site and WU on their continuous coverage broadcasts.  I think fire management people were accessing the data as well as I had a lot of WU and web site hits.  Most of the stations closer to the fire apparently lost power and went down during the critical hours.  I had numerous power flick offs that played havoc with the electronics, but my UPSes kept my network and modem alive because I was using low-powered devices: WLIPs and Meteohubs, to upload the data.

I also like the fact that I can add sensors to the VP2 as my budget permits.  I added a leaf wetness/ soil temp station earlier this summer to measure dew and frost.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:59:07 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:00:37 PM »
You should invest in a weather station and provide neighborhood weather observations to your community. 
Wx eqpt is my #1 hobby.  I have several wx systems.  I've downgraded from a VP2+ to a Vue.  This encourages me to build the Dream Machine http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=109.0.  I do precipitation reports to CoCoRaHS.  I have an NWS Cooperative station and do the manual daily reports.  I have other equipment, Acu-Rite, R M Young, Peet, etc. 
My online station updates temp/hum/wind/rain/dew pt/baro every 2.5 seconds and every 5 minutes for everything.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
I am still debating whether I should buy a weather station.  If I buy one, I feel like I should buy a quality station and would likely drop $300 on a Davis Vantage Vue.  The problem that I am having is whether I will use it/love it and at $300, that is a big question.  So...  what do you all like/love about having your own weather station?

tia,
Bill

Welcome Bill,

Not knowing where you live or what you want to do with a weather station makes it pretty difficult to give you much in the way of advice. We all have our own reasoning for wanting/having a weather station. For me, I've been a weather hobbyist since the 60's and really enjoy providing weather conditions for my area and neighborhood. I'm a tinkerer and amateur radio operator so I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Some things you need to think about and feel comfortable with the answers BEFORE you try to decide which unit you are going to buy:

• What are your long-term plans for a weather station? This will help you decide what model to purchase.
  • Will you use it only for local, personal use or do you have aspirations of creating a weather website so that you can provide real-time weather conditions for your locality?
  • Do you live in an area with CCR's or HOA Rules and Regulations? If so, will you even be allowed to install a weather station outside? If not, you've just saved your hundreds of dollars!
  • Do you live where you have the space to install a weather station so it gives you the most accurate reading? i.e., If you live in a city and have to install on a window-sill your readings probably won't be very accurate.

I do agree that you should consider a "quality" station. Davis fills that piece of the puzzle very nicely and they have great customer support.

I am sure there are many other questions you should ask yourself. Perhaps others on this forum can fill-in the list.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:10:49 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
I like my Vantage Pro2 because is works with out issues. I fought a LaCrosse 2310 for 2 years - wind spikes, lost communications, etc... The VP2 has been up and running for 2 years now with only a battery change. 

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
Some things you need to think about and feel comfortable with the answers BEFORE you try to decide which unit you are going to buy:

• What are your long-term plans for a weather station? This will help you decide what model to purchase.
  • Will you use it only for local, personal use or do you have aspirations of creating a weather website so that you can provide real-time weather conditions for your locality?
  • Do you live in an area with CCR's or HOA Rules and Regulations? If so, will you even be allowed to install a weather station outside? If not, you've just saved your hundreds of dollars!
  • Do you live where you have the space to install a weather station so it gives you the most accurate reading? i.e., If you live in a city and have to install on a window-sill your readings probably won't be very accurate.

Someone that is good with graphics needs to make a logic chart of this (and possibly some other considerations).

:-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline skinnysqueaky

• Old River Rat
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
Davis WMII Has been in service for over 12 years (I bought it used 12 years ago) and it's still running with out any problems.  Some times I get a case of the "I want it", but then reality sets in. We keep waiting for the old WMII to give up! When it goes I will buy another Davis.
On the Niagara River

Davis Weather Monitor II plus all the goodies.

Offline billunger

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »

Welcome Bill,

Not knowing where you live or what you want to do with a weather station makes it pretty difficult to give you much in the way of advice. We all have our own reasoning for wanting/having a weather station. For me, I've been a weather hobbyist since the 60's and really enjoy providing weather conditions for my area and neighborhood. I'm a tinkerer and amateur radio operator so I enjoy that kind of stuff.

I do agree that you should consider a "quality" station. Davis fills that piece of the puzzle very nicely and they have great customer support.

I am sure there are many other questions you should ask yourself. Perhaps others on this forum can fill-in the list.

Part of your questions sums up my dilemma:  I am not entirely certain what I want to get out of it.

I live in Traverse City, MI ( northern lower peninsula ).  I am more or less surrounded by trees and would likely place the sensor unit on top of my garage ( it is an attached garage and I live in a standard bi-level home ).  With the tree exposure, I am not sure how accurate my wind readings would be but I don't have any other choice in that regard ( the trees are all extremely tall pines ).

So...  because I am not entirely sure what I want to get out of it, I am having a hard time trying to decide if I want to spend the $300.

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions!!!

Offline threefingers2

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
Well i had the same debate with myself for a year or 2 then just recently i decided to just do it, so i have the vue comming on the 30th. I think it will be cool to see my weather on the internet if i travel someplace i can look and see what my weather is doing back home and tell friends and relatives they can look at my locations weather as well. As soon as i was off the phone with Rob @ Rainmanweather.com i was excited and ran up to Menards and bought the pole and the tripod stand and put it up on my garage roof in anticipation of the arival. I keep looking at the ups website to see were its at in transit. My neighbor asked me why are you doing this ,what for. I told him i enjoy this kind of thing and he said if he wants to know what the weather is doing he will go outside. I just couldn't get threw to him my interest in it, he just didnt understand. So if you don't have the interest, the excitement, or to expose the weatherwatcher in you then i wouldn't waist the money. I'm also studying to get my ham radio license and want to be a weather watcher for the radio club and community so i guess this kinda thing fits my interest. Hey good luck to ya and i hope my story helps.   :grin:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:15:06 AM by threefingers2 »

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »
After starting out with a Lacrosse wireless rain gauge with horrible connectivity issues, I stepped up to a Davis VP2 with no regrets.  I love the internet capability and flawless communication between sensors and console.  I can place my console anywhere in my house and still have a perfect connection with the sensors in the middle of my large backyard.  Nothing more frustrating than crappy connectivity.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
If I understand your dilemma, it's about whether or not you even want a station, not so much features at this point.  Here is a little background on why I wanted a PWS, and the like/love about it, which really only apply to my own personality.  Your mileage may vary.

My area has wildly variable micro-climate weather, so the "local" forecast doesn't necessarily accurately reflect conditions at my house.  I wanted to be able to check-in over the internet while travelling on business.  My initial thought was wunderground.  (My Vue does that, so great).  I also wanted to keep track of gusts during the winter windstorms that take out our power several times each season.  (Vue was selected for the 2.5-second wind updates).  The rain collection aspect of a PWS was just assumed, so a self-emptying bucket that also records (via datalogger) was a bonus.

That's what got me started.  Once it was installed and running, I found many other fun things to do with it.  Tweaking the software that came with it, uploading to my own webpage, feeding CWOP, sharing the data with faraway friends and relatives, getting others interested, learning more about weather (through this forum), sharing my experience with others to help their wx hobbies (again, this forum).  Had I considered these aspects, I probably would have purchased a more scalable system, like a Davis VP2, but had I purchased a system "less" than a Vue, I don't know if my interest in PWS would have continued to develop as it has.  So, the Vue is a good place to be if you can afford it.

If reasons like these don't justify the price of a Vue, or seem like too much work for your desires in a PWS, there are less expensive, less flexible systems out there, but at that point you may not be interested in a PWS at all.  But it sure is fun to collect and crunch data from your own location.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
  • I see sunshine. Let me out!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Started with OS968 and moved to a VP2+ after a couple of years. I upload to WU so I can follow whats happening at home from my phone while away. Just a geeky fun thing when I don't believe in the local weather on the internet. I can see by the humidity spikes if the lawn is getting watered on time...... :lol:

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA
Davis VP2+ wireless w/24Hr fan, Enovoy & Console
VWS 14.01p31,WeatherLink5.9.2,VP live,Virtual VP, StartWatch

Offline Wayne_R

• Contributor
  • Work'n & Smok'n
    • Patio World
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »
I've had my Vue for a month now and really, really, like it.  Wanted a WX station to upload weather info to business website (outdoor furnishing business). Never had a WX station before and did not know if I would be really into checking out the weather and such.  But as time has gone on, kinda addicting.  I'm always checking (hourly if I can) barometer readings (even though don't fully understand what it means), wind speed, temps, etc.  After this 1st month was over I was able to check day to day variations on WU for the month.  Can't wait to get a year under my belt  8-).  Anyways, great hobby and even though I'm a super novice at putting stuff up on the web, I like to try to solve the puzzles of getting things to work.  With doing that with this wx station and the help from the nice folks here...been a great adventure.  Hopefully can keep going and improving the website.

I begun to like looking over the different stats and trends of the weather over time.

Even though my wife thinks I'm a nerd  :roll:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
Weighing in here since mine is mostly dead:  that stoopid (tm) supercap on the VP2 ISS.  Argh.  What a lousy piece of engineering. A nice rechargeable battery would have been a much better idea.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »
Having a Davis Vue, Lacrosse 2810, and a Rainwise MKIII, the best by far is the Rainwise.  Sturdy, accrurate and precise.  I also love the red LED which makes night viewing very easy.  Even from across the room.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:36:33 PM by VaJim »

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »
I am still debating whether I should buy a weather station.  If I buy one, I feel like I should buy a quality station and would likely drop $300 on a Davis Vantage Vue.  The problem that I am having is whether I will use it/love it and at $300, that is a big question.  So...  what do you all like/love about having your own weather station?

tia,
Bill

Bill,

I bought a weather station because it enhances my enjoyment of experiencing the varied weather we have in the UK. I'm assuming you have an interest in the weather. That should be a mandatory requirement if you're going to buy a weather station.

Your choice of Davis is a good one but bear in mind the cost of a Vue compared to a VP2 is kept down by amalgamating all the sensors in a single unit. The problem of doing this is it compromises some of the data you will record depending on where you position it.

For example, if you place it 33ft up to accurately measure wind that is not the best place to record either rain or temperature. Move it to 4ft above the ground and temp and rain will be okay but wind speeds will be much lower.

You can buy a separate wireless anemometer to get the best of both worlds but the price difference then between the Vue and a VP2 is probably not that great. The VP2 will allow you to add fans (daytime or 24hr) and solar and UV sensors. The Vue won't.

To answer your original question. What do I love about my station? Its complete reliability in terms of wireless transmission and accuracy and quality of the components. Owners of other stations may aspire to own a Davis but Davis owners never aspire to own anything else. And that comes from a Brit!