Author Topic: Weather-Display - Weather Reports History Script from Wildwood Weather  (Read 7410 times)

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
Folks:
I have problem with the new climatedataout.htm files. I over wrote climatedataout.html from climatedatasolaruvdepth.html per the instructions included in the zip files from Wildwood Weather.

The Snow-Depth data field has bad data in it. I recreated the climate reports per the included instructions in the zip package. Two years worth of the reports have the same bad data (all of my snow data). Is this a problem with Weather-Display or is it a case of not being able to go back in time and update this field?

I have attached a screen shot of the report for December, 2014.

Any assistance is appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:37:33 PM by tshattuck »

Offline Murry Conarroe

• Contributor
    • Wildwood Weather
Re: Weather-Display - Weather Reports History Script from Wildwood Weather
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »
Have you set Weather Display to log the snow depth?
If so, the snow depth should be stored (in cm) in the first column of the myyyylg2.txt file in the logfiles folder.
Murry

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
Murry:
I missed that setting.  #-o
I just turned it on. I will watch the log files and see what happens.

Thanks

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
FYI Folks:
I discovered another problem when installing the scripts:
I am getting discrepancies in the rainfall amounts. There appears to be a problem in Weather-Display (10.37R-(b81)). The climate reports are not always capturing the daily rainfall amounts correctly or they are missing.

The following reports have the issue:
dailynoaareport.htm
climatedataout.htm

I checked several weather websites that are using this script and they have the same problem. You can verify this by looking at your monthly and yearly rain totals in the History Charts and compare to your AJAX Dashboard. The charts are under reporting rainfall amounts in some cases over 20%. The totals on the AJAX Dashboard appear to be okay.

I tried downloading my monthly WLK files again from WeatherLink and the data is still incorrect in the two reports listed above. I have seen several days where no rain is reported when in fact there was rain. The monthly rain totals however reflect the missing rain data in those two reports. The script from Wildwood Weather adds the daily totals for the month and because the individual days have bad or missing data the totals are low. I also verified my data using the WeatherLink NOAA reports.

So for now I have elected not to deploy the Wildwood Scripts. This discrepancy is not good as it results in 2 different data values for the same metric. This doesn't make us web masters look good.  :oops:

Hopefully someone has a fix for this issue.

Regards,

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 04:18:27 PM by tshattuck »

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
Do you have any rainfall (%) offsets in WD? I noticed that the % offset shows up on the dashboard, but WD does not record the offset in the records. I didn't bring this up on the WD forum because of the crash. Haven't tried the new beta yet.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:31:31 PM »
Dr Obbins:
Offsets are not the problem. I have not input rain offsets in the months that were incorrect.

There is something wrong with reports: dailynoaareport.htm & climatedataout.htm. Weather-Display is not displaying the correct daily rainfall on some days in those two reports. Weather-Display is not tabulating those reports correctly and thus provides bad data for the PHP Script.

The data in the AJAX Dashboard appears to be okay.

Regards,

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:34:47 PM by tshattuck »

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 05:04:25 AM »
Currently my dashboard is showing a yearly rainfall total of 43.48" and the chart is showing 47.88". In my case the charts are showing (~9%) more than the dashboard where as in your case the charts are showing less. I had an offset in WD for most of the year till I noticed this discrepancy. Then I took it out and adjusted the rain collector. This month (December) both the dashboard and the chart are showing 2.64" each.

In any case, I agree that the discrepancy is not good, but there is not anyone here who can explain why this is happening in WD. We are both using the same version of WD which as you may know the developer had a catastrophic data loss this year. The only option would be to try the beta version he has available and work with him on developing the new version.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »
Dr Obbins
I was not aware Brian had a catastrophic data loss this year, that's unfortunate. The loss of data makes things tough to recreate.

It sounds like it may take some time to resolve the issue with rain data. Fortunately for me I also run WeatherLink so I can verify I am publishing accurate data.

Thanks for you assistance.

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:05 AM »
Brian is making awesome progress with the program and I've been running the new beta for quite some time now with no problems.  Of course I'm not using all the capabilities of the program (nobody could) so there are likely some gremlins lurking out there.

I'd recommend trying the beta and working with him to isolate and fix this problem.  The more beta testers the better.  The beta is named differently so it's easy to switch back and forth between that and build 81.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
If nothing else, with the new year upon us we can monitor this daily and maybe see when the two totals start to differ. Is it a slow daily event?, a bit each rainfall?, end of the month event?, etc... Possibly the beta version does not have this issue?

Offline Murry Conarroe

• Contributor
    • Wildwood Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »

There is something wrong with reports: dailynoaareport.htm & climatedataout.htm. Weather-Display is not displaying the correct daily rainfall on some days in those two reports. Weather-Display is not tabulating those reports correctly and thus provides bad data for the PHP Script.

If you believe the data in the dailynoaareport or climatedataout files are incorrect, you can override the incorrect data for the purposes of the detail/summary scripts. From the wxreports readme:
If you have missing or incorrect data in your NOAA Reports or climatedataout files and cannot or do not wish to add/correct the data in Weather Display, you can manually provide the data in a csv file. Open the sample wxreportsmmyyyy.csv file included in the zip download in a spreadsheet. Enter the necessary data in the appropriate column. You only need to add data for the values you wish to add or correct. Do not make any changes to the header row. Save the updated file as wxreportmmyyyy.csv where mm is the month number (2 characters) and yyyy is the year (i.e. wxreports062012.csv for June 2012). Upload to the same folder where the dailynoaareport and climatedataout files are located. If you have bad data for an item but do not know what the correct value should be, you can enter a 'D' (without the quote marks) for that item and day and the scripts will ignore the data for that day.

Murry

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
Murry:
Before I posted my question I started making the corrections to the two reports and found many rain errors. I have over seven years worth of data and I decided it wasn't worth the effort to correct after correcting two years worth of data. Plus you have to keep checking the new rain data daily.

Given the rain data is correct in my WeatherLink NOAA reports I am going to continue to use that for now.

The solution unfortunately is to fix Weather-Display and it doesn't appear that is going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks

ps. Nice work on the scripts

Offline Murry Conarroe

• Contributor
    • Wildwood Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »
Murry:
Before I posted my question I started making the corrections to the two reports and found many rain errors. I have over seven years worth of data and I decided it wasn't worth the effort to correct after correcting two years worth of data. Plus you have to keep checking the new rain data daily.

Given the rain data is correct in my WeatherLink NOAA reports I am going to continue to use that for now.

The solution unfortunately is to fix Weather-Display and it doesn't appear that is going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks

ps. Nice work on the scripts

If you are only having problems with the rain amounts, you can still use the other scripts. Just set $show_rain_links to false in the wxreports-settings.php script.

FYI... In the 13+ years I have been using Weather Display I do not ever remember seeing the rain problem you say you are having.
Murry

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
Murry:
Please check some other websites and you will see they have the same problem. I checked before I placed my post - didn't want to cry wolf.
I try to triple check my work before asking for assistance. I know sometimes it can be a setting that creates a problem and verified as best I can that's not the case. So far no one has replied on how to resolve this issue with Weather-Display.

I know the option exists to deploy your script with "rain" disabled. I just want to hear if anyone has a fix for this issue before making a final decision.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Just a follow up after the new year reset - Currently my dashboard is showing a yearly rainfall total of 3.06" and the chart is showing 3.06" also.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »
Dr. Obbins:
That's very interesting. I will have to check my data and see how it compares.

Thanks

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster

Offline ingogliar

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »
Dr. Obbins,

Yes - same issue - thank you for alerting me to this thread!

Dr. Ingoglia

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 02:37:43 PM »
Hi,

I just downloaded and changed the wxnoaarecords.php I downloaded the version for WL as i use the daily records script for WL. My issue is it seems it is reading the WD information and not my WL records. What am Idoing wrong?

Thanks.

Bob

lebanontnwx.org/wxnoaarecords.php
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:52:00 PM by tnwxman »
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Murry Conarroe

• Contributor
    • Wildwood Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
Hi,

I just downloaded and changed the wxnoaarecords.php I downloaded the version for WL as i use the daily records script for WL. My issue is it seems it is reading the WD information and not my WL records. What am Idoing wrong?

Thanks.

Bob

lebanontnwx.org/wxnoaarecords.php

The wxnoaarecords.php script is the same for all software (WD, WL, Cumulus, etc).
It relies on $SITE['WXsoftware']) that is set in the settings-weather.php to determine which software you are using as each use a different naming convention for their noaa reports. To have it read WeatherLink NOAA reports when you are using WeatherDisplay for everything else, edit line 11 of the wxnoaarecords-include.php.

Change
Code: [Select]
$wxsoftware = strtoupper($SITE['WXsoftware']) ; // Set in settings-weather.php in V3
to
$wxsoftware = 'WL';

When you edited the file, it looks like you deleted a closing div as the page is not displaying properly and fails W3C validation.

Note: If you choose to use the WeatherLink reports instead of WeatherDisplay, the snow and barometer records will not display.
And if your WL NOAA reports are in a different directory that where you have the WD NOAA reports, you will need to update the path to the noaa reports on line 15 of the $wxnoaarecords-include.php.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:52:54 PM by Murry Conarroe »
Murry

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »
I tried the wxnoaarecords but something is not right. I'm using cumulus and it just filled out today's data. What is it looking at for the data. I think the  NOAA -style reports setup is labeled different than normal also. "NOAAMO"mmyy".txt" and  "NOAAYR"yyyy".txt" is what I use. In the Settings-weather.php noaa address doesn't look right either it says
$SITE['NOAAdir']        = './Reports/';   // relative location of the NOAA report files. Where my reports go into a folder called.... NOAA-reports
 Link to page: http://www.valentinenebraska.net/wxnoaarecords.php?month=February
Randy

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 07:33:29 PM »
Hi Murray,

Take a look again. Still not working right.

I change to WL as instructed. I did the path but may have something wrong.

My NOAA Reports are in lebanontnwx.org/NOAA-reports

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Murry Conarroe

• Contributor
    • Wildwood Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
I tried the wxnoaarecords but something is not right. I'm using cumulus and it just filled out today's data. What is it looking at for the data. I think the  NOAA -style reports setup is labeled different than normal also. "NOAAMO"mmyy".txt" and  "NOAAYR"yyyy".txt" is what I use. In the Settings-weather.php noaa address doesn't look right either it says
$SITE['NOAAdir']        = './Reports/';   // relative location of the NOAA report files. Where my reports go into a folder called.... NOAA-reports

Are you saying you have $SITE['NOAAdir'] = './Reports/'; in your Settings-weather.php file even though you are putting the NOAA files in the NOAA-reports folder instead of the Reports folder.

Then change it to  $SITE['NOAAdir']  = './NOAA-reports/';
Murry

Offline Murry Conarroe

• Contributor
    • Wildwood Weather
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »
Hi Murray,

Take a look again. Still not working right.

I change to WL as instructed. I did the path but may have something wrong.

My NOAA Reports are in lebanontnwx.org/NOAA-reports

Bob

Bob,
Since the Snow and Barometer fields are still displaying, there would appear to be a problem with the change you made to fake it out to WL.
You say you changed the path, but you didn't say what you changed it to or where.

Since my crystal ball is broken, email (or attach) your Settings-weather.php and wxnoaarecords-include php to me.

Murry

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »

Are you saying you have $SITE['NOAAdir'] = './Reports/'; in your Settings-weather.php file even though you are putting the NOAA files in the NOAA-reports folder instead of the Reports folder.

Then change it to  $SITE['NOAAdir']  = './NOAA-reports/';

Thanks for the help.
Yes, inside cumulus itself NOAA setup sends the yearly and monthly .txt files to NOAA-reports in the format I stated.
I did change the Settings-weather.php to $SITE['NOAAdir']  = './NOAA-reports/'; and it didn't populate.
I was wondering if issue was txt files labeling different from what it expects.
I looked and have no folder called Reports anywhere so it was not generated in my /directory.
Randy

anything