Author Topic: 2810 wind sensor water leak problem  (Read 25425 times)

Offline drh

2810 wind sensor water leak problem
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »
I picked up 3 2810' from Costco a couple of weeks back. I installed the first one and after a few hours the wind sensor stopped transmitting data. I took it off the roof and tried to recharge the batteries. After 24 hours charging it would not re establish contact. I called support and a cranky lady sent me a reset guide, which did not get it working. I then set up the second unit and it ran 2 days before the wind sensor stopped. I called customer service again and the lady was still cranky, walked me through a different reset routine that did not work either. I noticed that there was water in the solar cell and that quite a bit of water drained out of the unit when I brought it indoors. We have been having lots of rain lately but the units should be weather tight. I took the wind sensor apart and there was still lots of water in the unit. It seems that one or more of the seals are not working. The o-ring on the top main body mating surface was in tact but I couldn't see if the other seals were or not. It looks like quality control is a bit lax in China these days. I will run a film of caulk on my last good wind sensor and see if that helps keep the water out. I did notice the wind cup, on the new wind sensor, was mis-shapen, another ode to China quality contorl. Professional weather station, indeed!

Any one else experience this problem?

Offline lou

Re: 2810 wind sensor water leak problem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
I've had mine for about 2 weeks and have had about 1/2" of rain with no problems...

Offline Maxtastic

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
I registered after finding this post through Google.

I just received a 2810 myself, and I am having the exact same issue. I got the wind sensor synced up for about 2-3 hours, and now nothing. I opened it up and replaced the rechargeables with regular AAA batteries just to see if it is a charging issue, but still no go.

anyone else have any luck resolving this?

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »

I just received a 2810 myself, and I am having the exact same issue. I got the wind sensor synced up for about 2-3 hours, and now nothing. I opened it up and replaced the rechargeables with regular AAA batteries just to see if it is a charging issue, but still no go.

I bought the 2810 from Costco.  It ran fine for about 2 days then we had a couple of days of rain (2").  The the wind sensor stopped.  Put it under a 60 watt bulb for 24 hours with no luck.  Also tried the La Crosse re-set procedure.  No luck there either.  Finally took it back to Costoco for a refund.  Ordered a Vantage Vue today. =D>

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:19:13 AM »

Maxtastic, I've noticed with my 2810 that console placement might give you problems. I had mine next to my WS2310 and occasionally the wind data on the 2810 would drop out and return later. Since I spread them apart several inches more the problem went away and they're both running fine.

Offline matt45

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »
I picked up 3 2810' from Costco a couple of weeks back. I installed the first one and after a few hours the wind sensor stopped transmitting data. I took it off the roof and tried to recharge the batteries. After 24 hours charging it would not re establish contact. I called support and a cranky lady sent me a reset guide, which did not get it working. I then set up the second unit and it ran 2 days before the wind sensor stopped. I called customer service again and the lady was still cranky, walked me through a different reset routine that did not work either. I noticed that there was water in the solar cell and that quite a bit of water drained out of the unit when I brought it indoors. We have been having lots of rain lately but the units should be weather tight. I took the wind sensor apart and there was still lots of water in the unit. It seems that one or more of the seals are not working. The o-ring on the top main body mating surface was in tact but I couldn't see if the other seals were or not. It looks like quality control is a bit lax in China these days. I will run a film of caulk on my last good wind sensor and see if that helps keep the water out. I did notice the wind cup, on the new wind sensor, was mis-shapen, another ode to China quality contorl. Professional weather station, indeed!

Any one else experience this problem?

Offline Maxtastic

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »

Maxtastic, I've noticed with my 2810 that console placement might give you problems. I had mine next to my WS2310 and occasionally the wind data on the 2810 would drop out and return later. Since I spread them apart several inches more the problem went away and they're both running fine.

I've tried it a few different ways. When I first synced them up, they were a few feet apart, and worked fine until it bugged out and I received no more updates.

I tried to re-sync, I put the different pieces in different locations on the table thinking maybe there was interference, but nothing worked.

I sent an email to LaCrosse for support, but I have not heard back yet. I figured they would be backlogged due to the holidays, I will give them a week before I ask for an update.

Offline matt45

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:53 PM »
    I purchased the 2810 to replace a LaCrosse 3610 which stopped receiving outside data after 4 years of
use. The unit had to be returned within the first 6 months for loss of pressure readings. I installed the 2810 at a mountain cabin a week after receiving. Setup was without incident and unit was receiving data normally when left after weekend. I returned 1 week later and found that unit stopped receiving wind data 2 hours prior to my arrival.During my absence there had been rain and moderate wind.I repeatedly tried to resynk the wind sensor without luck. After bringing the wind sensor back inside I found water seeping from the weep holes at the bottom. On opening the sensor I found corrosion on the circuit board where the solar panel wires inserted. Also on the reverse side of the board opposite the connection site,I found a quarter size area of corrosion. Thoroughly drying the sensor did no good. To put the proverbial frosting on the cake, I got careless during my repeated attempts to resynk and reversed the polarity of the batteries. As warned in the setup info, I fried the weather station.I guess it wasn't felt needed to place a diode in the circuit. And yes I had thrown away all of the original packaging. Like a previous post I am now looking at the advantage vue. Its worth the bucks to buy quality if you want something to work and last

Offline PNWFlyer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »
I'm experiencing the same thing. The wind sensor worked great until we had about 3 inches of rain over 4 days, then it quit sending signals. Completed numerous resynchs and system resets, as well as bringing it and placing under bright lights for several days. Noticed water leaking from it and moisture behind the solar panel.

I also took the main body apart and a linear black plastic T-shaped piece flew out. Found where it goes and will replace on reassembly.

I was curious if the caulking was successful? If so, where did you apply it?

Offline jetpuf

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
I to am experiencing this with my wind sensor. I took it apart to find that the internals were corroded from the water. I have a call into Lacrosse... I'm pretty disappointed...

EDIT: I'm in Troutdale Oregon where it gets nice and windy. I was looking forward to seeing how hard it was blowing outside.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
Well that does it. Once the sun gets up this AM so am I, up on the roof to take down the 2810 anny for inspection. It's still working but why wait for failure if I can prevent it.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
EDIT: I'm in Troutdale Oregon where it gets nice and windy. I was looking forward to seeing how hard it was blowing outside.

I just saw this video on the news of a weather reporter getting blown about in Oregon.  It really does look windy!   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »
Well that does it. Once the sun gets up this AM so am I, up on the roof to take down the 2810 anny for inspection. It's still working but why wait for failure if I can prevent it.

(but on the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »

(but on the other hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it)

yeah I feel the same way but we had a rain shower pass through 2 days ago and reading these posts makes me wonder if corrosion is setting in. :-k An ounce of prevention is worth 29.57353 ml. of cure (ooops, still in my rain gauge cal. mode of thought).

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
Well just finished taking it down. I opened it up and (relief) it was bone dry inside. I went ahead and checked the rechargable batteries (3.18v, 2 in series after all night) and applied a thin layer of lythium grease around the body rubber seal anyway. I removed the small solar panel and put a tiny bead of silicone around it's window's edge as well. The top of the vane has a plastic plug covering the vane's mount screw and that now has a small dab of silicone over it as well. Should be good to go but it was already. :roll:

Offline PNWFlyer

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
Glad yours is okay! How did you take the wind sensor apart without disturbing the L-shaped piece that attaches to the lower part and extends over the direction wheel inside?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »
Glad yours is okay! How did you take the wind sensor apart without disturbing the L-shaped piece that attaches to the lower part and extends over the direction wheel inside?

Thanks, I'm relieved after reading all these posts saying the same thing. That piece you mention didn't move the whole time I tinkered with the anemometer. I remember someone (you?) mentioning a piece flying out when it was opened so I was being extra slow and watching everything real close. It all went pretty smooth from putting up the ladder on the second story balcony to cleaning up the desktop silicone smears afterwards.

Offline jetpuf

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:32 PM »
Okay, little update. after having let the internals dry out over night I re-assembled. IT WORKED!... but I may have broke it... #-o

After I confirmed it worked I took come contact cleaner to the board to remove some of the corrosion from the contacts. I then followed that up with dielectric grease over all the exposed contacts. I filled the vent holes in the bottom part of the shell and also spread a healthy amount on the direction shaft upon reassembly.  =D> \:D/

I verified with my camera phone that the IR LED's were functioning before complete reassembly, however I cannot get it to re-sync with the base station. ](*,)

Offline PNWFlyer

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:56 PM »
Have you tried all the resynch/reset routines? I dried mine out and after confirming everything was functioning, reassembled and sealed the case. I removed the batteries from the thermohygro sensor, then the console. Then pressed the reset on the wind sensor, put batteries back in the thermohygro, then the console. After about 3-4 minutes, everything synched up.

Watch the battery polarity, as someone in the thread reversed it on the console and burned it up.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
I've learned that the three units (anny, thermo/hygro, base console) have to come up in order. Did you take all batteries out except the anny, then press the anny's reset button, then, insert the thermo's batteries, then, insert the base console's batteries? After all that they say wait up to 10 mins. (mine comes up in around 2 or 3).

Try that first but if that doesn't do it, with the base console on and running, take the thermo/hygro's batteries out and after a couple minutes put them back in. Possibly the base console will "see" the thermo/hygro reset and reconnect then. Hope it comes back.

ooops, sorry PNWFlyer. posted the same.

Offline jetpuf

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
okay, another update.

ITS WORKING!!!!

seems that I was being impatient. After about 5 minutes it started reporting the wind. I've mounted it on our fence for now since it's a bit windy and rainy to go put it back on the roof. =D> =D>

I'm surprised that the batteries are regular alkaline batteries. I suspect after a few years if the sensor stops responding you could replace them.

Offline drh

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
Update:
I replaced the leaking unit with a new one and it also leaked and quit working. I then got a third unit sealed the seam and put it back on the roof. it lasted a month and now quit working again. Clearly La Crosse has a quality control issue, can you say China. This is my last unit, I will return it to costco and give up on La Crosse and stick with my Oregon Scientific unit. Good luck to all of you.

Offline jetpuf

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
Update:
I replaced the leaking unit with a new one and it also leaked and quit working. I then got a third unit sealed the seam and put it back on the roof. it lasted a month and now quit working again. Clearly La Crosse has a quality control issue, can you say China. This is my last unit, I will return it to costco and give up on La Crosse and stick with my Oregon Scientific unit. Good luck to all of you.

I think the water is actually coming from the top and bottom of the unit. there are the three holes for "draining" and the top shaft for the wind direction is not sealed.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »
okay, another update.

ITS WORKING!!!!

seems that I was being impatient. After about 5 minutes it started reporting the wind. I've mounted it on our fence for now since it's a bit windy and rainy to go put it back on the roof. =D> =D>

I'm surprised that the batteries are regular alkaline batteries. I suspect after a few years if the sensor stops responding you could replace them.

They're not regular, they're (supposed to be) rechargable alkalines so "they should last a while". :roll:  Glad to hear you brought it back to life. 8-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:54:00 PM by DanS »

Offline PNWFlyer

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
So far everythink still seems to be working. However, if I have to take it apart again, I was wondering how others did it without causing the small black L-shaped piece to break off? Does the directional come off when you remove the screw on top?

anything