Weather Station Hardware > Weather Web Cams

Looking for a weather Camera

(1/4) > >>

oleweatherfan:
Looking for a camera for weather to go with my davis station. I've had some in past, but they never worked right, they were IP and everytime my IP address changed my camera went off. If I get another one it needs to be wireless though because I'm putting it on the pole with my station. Any ideas on what I should get?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

galfert:
So that the IP address doesn't change on you the best thing to do is to set an IP reservation on your router's DHCP service using the MAC address of the camera. This is the best solution because you avoid the possibility of an IP conflict. Because the other solution is to set a static IP on the camera itself, but then unless you also go into the router and change the DHCP scope to not include the static address you selected then you could end up with a an IP conflict. This is because the DHCP service needs to know of static addresses on the network or else it doesn't know that they are used and it might give the address out to something else on the network and then you end up with an IP conflict and that causes devices to fall off the network.

Setting a static address is often the recommended action, but that is only half of a solution (because of the need to tell the router to reduce the DHCP scope to mitigate conflict). Since the proper way to set a static is to reduce the router"s DHCP scope, you might as well forget setting a static in the device and just set a reservation instead on the router (the first solution). Then you only need to change settings on the router. When you set a reservation it tells the router's DHCP service to always give a certain IP address to that device only always. The device (camera in this case) has no idea it is getting a reserved IP address, it is just asking for an address every time it powers on, but it will always then be getting the same address.

If you think you need a wireless camera because it will be mounted on a pole ask yourself how will this camera be powered? Since the simplest solution to the power problem is to run a power line of sorts then it might as well be an Ethernet cable that has Power over Ethernet (PoE). Thereby negating the need for it to be a wireless camera. Wireless cameras work well indoors where power outlets are available and then you don't need to run an Ethernet cable. Unless of course you have power outdoor nearby like for ground landscape lighting.

My favorite wired PoE camera is Hikvision bullet with 4mm lens. I don't have experience with wireless cameras. So maybe someone else can recommend one of those.
Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I
https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-Security-Bullet/dp/B01M1EMS52/

Cutty Sark Sailor:

http://frankfortweather.us/cams/cam_h1.html

galfert:
Some routers scan the local network for devices that have been given static addresses and then the router is smart enough to not assign those addresses to another device. But not all routers do this. So it is not good advice to tell people to just set a static address. Regardless from a professional networking standard practices just setting a static address without mitigating by setting a reservation or reducing the scope is not proper procedure.

oleweatherfan:
My router is supplied by my cable network. I do have my own linksy router but not sure how I would use that along with the cable router. As for power to the pole, theres power at the pole.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version