Author Topic: I'm sure topics on this page get old... sorry about that.  (Read 838 times)

Offline VolvoMatt

• sallyroth.com
I'm sure topics on this page get old... sorry about that.
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
Hi all. New here. My wife and I live in a sort of unique weather pocket in northern Colorado at about 8100 feet. I'd really like to be able to monitor things better for our exact location.

My biggest priority is wind speed, and accurate as possible. I have background in small wind power (we are off-grid) and know about going up to find 'clean' wind. Also, in this geographic area, I know we can see gusts in excess of 100mph, so, preferably an anemometer with a range to suit, even when such gusts are rare.

Also, of course, on a budget.

First attempt, I bought an Ambient Weather unit. Cheap, like $60. It didn't work. Didn't transmit to the receiver, so it got sent back.

Still looking, and here's what I have come up with.

Cheap 3-in-1 acurite unit. Pro: price. Con: 99mph max wind speed, question the quality.

Slightly more money, the 5 in 1 acurite guys. Pro: again price, plus rain. Con, same as above.

More money yet, Davis Vantage Vue, which I like, but even the regular 'pro' is at teh top of budget, and the 'pro 2' unit is even moreso. But, looks like a higher quality unit, and a 150mph range for wind speed.

Last option in my mind thus far is to just build a anemometer using a digital bicycle speedometer for data collection. That'd likely be cheapest, and I can get by with our existing rain and temp gauges, and stash money for something better when the cash is available.

Just thought I'd run these options by folks that have experience with these units, and see if anyone has further thoughts on what I've mentioned, or thoughts on other setups that might fit the bill.

Thanks so much!
Matt

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: I'm sure topics on this page get old... sorry about that.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
Bushman's link is by far better and easier than trying to make your own. A bike speedo with cups on the selected sized rim or equivalent arm length will under report speed due to air and bearing friction losses. It would take experimentation and lots of calibration runs in a car or something to get the arm length right. (Shorter arms spin faster than longer arms in the same wind...)

Also, cup size and geometry is important. Interestingly, there is a paper on the net from the 1940s, I believe, that shows that elliptical cups are better than hemispheres. They tested all manner of cups. 

Offline VolvoMatt

• sallyroth.com
Re: I'm sure topics on this page get old... sorry about that.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:02:52 PM »
Interesting, SLOweather, and thanks for the link, Bushman.. one I'd not seen. Every little bit is helpful.

Somewhere, I've got a very professional hub/cup assembly. I gave it to my brother. Maybe I can get it back and do something with it. We'll see...