Author Topic: 2810 Download time after synchronizing to computer  (Read 6571 times)

Offline lou

2810 Download time after synchronizing to computer
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
It seem that it takes along for the data to be transferred from the weather station to my computer after it has been synchronized.  I was talking to a La Crosse tech. about another problem and said something about it taking a long time, the responce was "it should only take a few minutes".  At that time I did not have an actual  data and said OK.  Well I've paid  closer attention and it takes 23 minutes before it starts a download.  I would like to have some feedback from other 2810 owners before I talk with La Crosse again.

Thanks, Lou

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 2810 Download time after synchronizing to computer
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
I've personally haven't had that happen here. After a successful sync connect the data transfer begins within a minute at the most. Do you have other USB connections running? It sounds almost like the PC is busy with other comms? The fact that it eventually starts communicating (23 mins later) says the connection is there but it sounds like there may be something else going on too. Maybe try stopping the comms link, remove the USB stick, and replace it in another USB port to let the PC "re-learn" it. Does the sync connection between the PC and the console go pretty quickly? Should only take a minute or two. Data is being transferred during the initial connection and if it connects fast or slow may give clues also.

Dan

Offline lou

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
Dan, thanks again for the reply, at least this give me an idea about the time.  Maybe to expand or to clarify this problem.  Synchronizing has been  no problem.  The  weather station is connected to the  computer, and updates the "Weather" screens present values (wind, rain ,etc).  The problem I have is the past (last nights) hourly and half hour data being posted, which takes 23 minutes before it updates the "Data" screen.

Offline tlagrone

• Serenity Lake
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »
I am brand new to the forum; however, I have been using the 2810 since November and your download time is the same as mine.  Approximately 20 - 25 minutes.  Looking at the data, it appears that the data updates at a rate of slightly better than one data point per second or less than 1800 seconds for 1800 datapoints (less than 30 minutes).

On another topic, the solar powered wind sensor is not designed for cold, dark climates (Alaskan winters).  After sleeping for three months, the wind sensor is finally waking up.  I think this has to do with the approaching spring equinox.

Terry LaGrone
Iditarod Trail, Alaska

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum Terry; a great place to visit, learn and share

from Komoka, ON Canada

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum Terry! =D>

Could this data delay issue be effected by the settings in the 2810's Heavy Weather Pro program, under "Extras", "Options", "Weather Station Settings" ?  There is a "Recording Interval" adjustment in there.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:37:34 PM by DanS »

Offline tlagrone

• Serenity Lake
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »
I have the interval set to 1 hour.  After several months of recording, the internal memory has 1750 datasets and thus takes a long time to update the history.dat file in the computer.  It appears to start from the first dataset in the update as about 15+ minutes elapses before the history tables start adding new entries.

Other than a factory reset, I haven't found a way to clear the unit memory.

Terry

Offline pschnell

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »
Hello,

Sorry for my bad english, but I am a french men.

If I post on this forum it's because we have somes problems with station WS2800 (WS 2810 for you).

The first problem is record of rain. about two of realality . LaCrosse send us a new Therm/Hygro sonde but this new one save only a given two.

The second problem is re-synchronisation beethen PC and station. For some people no problem, for other as me, we must stay more than 25 mn.

Have you the sames problem with WS2810 ?. Thank for your reply

If you want, you can see all problem on http://www.station-meteo.com/forum/station-la-crosse-technology

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Hello pschnell and welcome to WxForum!

The rain gauge measuring 2X the amount of actual rainfall has been realized by many people and corrected a couple of different ways. One way is by reducing the collection area on top from 4.5" to 3.18" and another way but inserting adjustable bucket stops http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6042.30 . That's interesting that the European (2800) model has the same issue.

The sync connection between the P.C. and station console is something I personally haven't experienced so I can't help you there. The others that have may be able to give you guidance in this area.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:29:47 PM by DanS »

Offline pschnell

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
Hello,

Thank for your replay.

In France, LaCroose change all probe Th/Hygro. But I Think it's special probe for correct problem.

When I regard for serial number of new probe, I think it's not a normal serial number (02/2010   V0   R    X1 ). So, if probe is broken, after exchange, We retreive problem on rain.

For me this problem is not in probe but in firmware in station. On site http://www.station-meteo.com/ws2800 we can see that firmware is modified. But we try to call LaCrosse, it's not possible to have any information. Have you information about this modification of firmaware ?

We have a other problem : The wind gust saved in history data is not the last wind gust display on station : for example station said 71 km/h and the save date two mn after said 59 km/h.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »
pschnell,

I wonder if the "R" Th/Hygro sensor is a correction for the wind data drop outs? Do some of the European 2800 stations also have this problem with wind data dropping out? I feel it is a data loss between the Th/Hygro sensor and the console vs. the anemometer and Th/Hygro sensor and this may be LaCrosse's fix. It would be surprising news if this is the case.

I have not heard of anyone receiving a firmware upgrade to correct the rain measurement issue.

Offline pschnell

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 03:31:22 PM »
Hello,

I Confirm. I have receive this week a new gauge th/hygro for correct problem of rain. This one have a serial number with in a 'R' as Release.

I have tested it this week. One data of tow for rain is really save. not good for precision. I Think that this solution is choice by LaCroose for problem of cost.

For me (I am not allone), problem is not gauge but a problem of firmware in station. It's the same for wind gust (not good) and also for re-synchronisation.

I hope, if it's possible, that LaCrosse correct firmware and change station.

If you want, you can see all problem on web french forum : http://www.station-meteo.com/forum/station-la-crosse-technology

More we are , more we can !!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:38:15 PM by pschnell »

anything