Author Topic: Steelseries Gauges with VWS  (Read 24042 times)

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
Re: Steelseries Gauges with VWS
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 08:26:46 PM »
Ok, with those two changes I now have the gauges showing, but not updating. The light is flashing red, so there are no updates. I must have missed one more setting.

Thanks for the assistance.
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
AH, you must have found that setting...
They are working now !
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:32:36 PM by Curly »

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »
Curly,

Not sure what I did. I re-uploaded a couple of the files and it started working. Still a little maintenance to do, but it is working.

Curly and Ken, thanks for the asistance.
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
Two more questions -

I would like to change the update time. is that done in gauges.js? If so where.

I changed the solar gauges to false in gauges.js, but they still show.

Thanks.
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
Yes that is in gauges.js

You can set this at the same rate that the wflash file is uploaded in VWS. If VWS is set to update the wflash file in 10 seconds, set the counter in gauges.js to 10.
Code: [Select]
counter           : 10,                     //download data counter (secs, default 60)
Remove the canvas in the file gauges-ss-basic.htm to delete those gauges.
    <div id="tip_8" class="gauge">
      <canvas id="canvas_uv" width="221" height="221"></canvas>
    </div>
    <div id="tip_9" class="gauge">
      <canvas id="canvas_solar" width="221" height="221"></canvas>
    </div>

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
    • Luna Weather Station - Valenza
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:05 AM »
For Chris:
although I am not an expert in web programming, I'll try to help you do the installation step by step.
By analyzing the source code of your page, it seems that all the VWS files are saved in the root directory (http://wsvreewijk.ucoz.com/vwsNNN.jpg, for example).
Now, download the gauges file from here: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/files/Steelseries/gauges-ss-v2-1-1.zip and extract the contents to a local folder that will be called "gauges".
If until now there are no problems, you should see the local structure like this:
\gauges\steelseriesWVSjson.php (and other files/directories).
Looking at your site, I do not think you are using weatherflash or saratoga's templates, so I do not think your VWS is set to generate the wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files, right?
Tell me if you follow me so we can go.

Piero
Davis ISS and Weather Envoy
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink
www.lunavalenza.altervista.org

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I apologize for myself in advance!!!  I have beat my head against the wall but I still haven't figured this out.  I have a folder ssVWS with all the files from the zip file.  I am uploading the wflash.txt and wflash2.txt file to the ssVWS folder.  But somehow I'm getting data when I was playing with this yesterday???  http://www.daybreakimagery.com/weather/ssVWS/gauges-ss-basic.htm  I guess I don't understand realative directory.

Richard

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
Hi Richard,
As Ken has wrote, since your wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files are in the same directory as the steelseriesVWSjson.php script, you just have to check that the corresponding line in the file (steelseriesVWSjson.php) is set as follows:

$wflashDir = './';  // directory for the the wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files

If you have did so and it does not work, then it may VWS don't properly upload the wflash.txt files to your site:
try to check the wflash and wflash2.txt files in the ssVWS  directory on your site are actually being updated by opening them with a text editor and checking the date and time in the header.
If don't, then check the VWS's weatherflash window and relative parameters.

Hope that helps!

Piero

Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
Hi Piero,

I have done exactly as you stated and it's not updating.  I know I have something wrong but can't find it.  My files are updating on the server and my directory path looks exactly as you typed.

Richard

Offline ws vreewijk

• Netherlands
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
Hello Piero,

Thanks in advance for your help it is very much apericiated.
It will not be easy to help me as my knowledge is poor,but Iám not the only one and at the end it must be possible to get it working not only for me but others can use this info too.

Ok your question :
I do not think you are using weatherflash or saratoga's templates, so I do not think your VWS is set to generate the wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files, right?

Answher:
No I do not use the saratoga templates and Vws is not generating the weatherflash files wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files

See forward for you responce.

EDIT: yes a see the extracted zip files as you mentioned.

krgds Chris

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:18:28 PM by ws vreewijk »
Davis vantage pro2  running on VWS 
1-wire lightning detector and temp sensors powered byWD .....webcam pro 9000 running on webcamxp
http://wsvreewijk.ucoz.com/

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
Richard,
if the wflash files on the server are updated, then could be a configuration issue of date-time settings.
Try checking carefully the lines in the file steelseriesVWSjson of your LOCAL time for the displays:
if you are in trouble, http://us.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php  has the list of timezone correct names.

Check also the following lines:
//$timeOnlyFormat = 'g:i a';          // USA format h:mm[am|pm\
$timeOnlyFormat = 'H:i';          // Euro format hh:mm  (hh=00..23);

Let me know!

Bye

Piero
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »
Hello Piero,

Thanks in advance for your help it is very much apericiated.
It will not be easy to help me as my knowledge is poor,but Iám not the only one and at the end it must be possible to get it working not only for me but others can use this info too.

Ok your question :
I do not think you are using weatherflash or saratoga's templates, so I do not think your VWS is set to generate the wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files, right?

Answher:
No I do not use the saratoga templates and Vws is not generating the weatherflash files wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files

See forward for you responce.

EDIT: yes a see the extracted files as you mentioned.

krgds Chris

Chris,

You will need to have VWS generate the wflash.txt/wflash2.txt files either by direct upload or using the server-side upload.
That is the data that steelseriesVWSjson.php script reads and converts to JSON data for the Steel Series Gauges to use.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ws vreewijk

• Netherlands
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »
Ok Ken,but what to fill in here in this part

see screen print.
1-wire lightning detector and temp sensors powered byWD .....webcam pro 9000 running on webcamxp

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
Piero,

I have my timezone set correctly too.  America/Chicago

Richard

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »
Ok Ken,but what to fill in here in this part

see screen print.

User ID: DEMO

Check "server file" and insert "/gauges"

But first you need to create the directory "/gauges" on your site. When we have properly configured files gauges, we will copy them all in that directory

Meanwhile, after setting VWS as above, you can check on your site in the directory "/ gauges" there are wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files.
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
Piero,

I have my timezone set correctly too.  America/Chicago

Richard

Mmmmm.... I've run out of ideas, Richard.
I think it takes the help of Ken ... I'm sorry!
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline ws vreewijk

• Netherlands
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »
Ok To get it right Piero.

You wrote:
 Now, download the gauges file from here: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/files/Steelseries/gauges-ss-v2-1-1.zip and extract the contents to a local folder that will be called "gauges".

So I use this  folder GAUGES to put into the local file location   as in my screen print the arrow is pointed at . is that correct ????

If zo I understand that part.

Next thing is I would like to upload true ftp as all what I upload always goes first to my build in file manager.
please see my new print screen  and my  new question

if I click server file location brouwse a new screen opens do I have to change or fill in that part ?

Somehowe I think this is not going to be easy
If you have the feeling this brings us no where just let me know.

krgds Chris

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
Chris,
edit, in your local directory "gauges", the steelseriesVWSjson.php file exactly as shown below:

// settings ------------------------------
$wflashDir = './';  // directory for the the wflash.txt and wflash2.txt files
//                              // relative to directory location of this script
//                              // do NOT use absolute address (/ start) or http://... addressing
$uomTemp = '&deg;C';   // ='&deg;C', ='&deg;F'
$uomBaro = ' hPa';    // =' hPa', =' mb', =' inHg'
$uomWind = ' km/h';     // =' km/h', =' kts', =' m/s', =' mph'
$uomRain = ' mm';      // =' mm', =' in'
$WDdateMDY = false;     // =true  dates are 'month/day/year'
//                     // =false dates are 'day/month/year'
$ourTZ = "Europe/Amsterdam";  //NOTE: this *MUST* be set correctly to
// translate UTC times to your LOCAL time for the displays.
//$timeOnlyFormat = 'g:i a';          // USA format h:mm[am|pm\
$timeOnlyFormat = 'H:i';          // Euro format hh:mm  (hh=00..23);

// ---------------------------------------
// end of settings -- no further changes to the source are needed below

then, edit the  \scripts\gauges.js file as shown below:

var gauges = (function () {
    var strings = LANG.EN,         //Set to your default language. Store all the strings in one object
        config = {
            // Script configuration parameters you may want to 'tweak'
            scriptVer         : '2.1.1 - 2013-02-02',
            weatherProgram    : 2,                      //Set 0=Cumulus, 1=Weather Display, 2=VWS
            imgPathURL        : '../',             //*** Change this to the relative path for your 'Trend' graph images
            oldGauges         : 'gauges.htm',           //*** Change this to the relative path for your 'old' gauges page.
            forecastWidth     : 550,                    //width of the forecast display (default value 550 pixels)
            counter           : 60,                     //download data counter (secs, default 60)
            gaugeSize         : 221,                    //size of gauges (default 221) - Odd numbers tend to render better than even
            gaugeSizeMobile   : 161,                    //size of gauges used on mobile devices (default 161)
            graphUpdateTime   : 15,                     //period of popup data graph refesh, in minutes (default 15)
            stationTimeout    : 3,                      //period of no data change before we declare the station offline, in minutes (default 3)
            pageUpdateLimit   : 20,                     //period after which the page stops automatically updating, in minutes (default 20),
                                                        // - set to 0 (zero) to disable this feature
            pageUpdatePswd    : 'its-me',               //password to over ride the page updates timeout, do not set to blank even if you do not use a password
            digitalFont       : true,                   //Font control for the gauges & timer
            digitalForecast   : true,                   //Font control for the status display, set this to false for languages that use accented characters in the forecasts
            showPopupData     : true,                   //Popup data displayed
            showPopupGraphs   : true,                   //If popup data is displayed, show the graphs?
            showWindVariation : true,                   //Show variation in wind direction over the last 10 minutes on the direction gauge
            showIndoorTempHum : true,                   //Show the indoor temperature/humidity options
            showUvGauge       : true,                   //Display the UV Index gauge
            showSolarGauge    : true,                   //Display the Solar gauge
            solarGaugeScaleMax: 1400,                   //Max value to be shown on the solar gauge - theoretical max without atmosphere ~ 1374 W/m²
                                                        // - but Davis stations can read up to 1800
            showRoseGauge     : false,                   //Show the optional Wind Rose gauge
            showRoseGaugeOdo  : false                   //Show the optional Wind Rose gauge Windrun Odometer
            showGaugeShadow   : true,                   //Show a drop shadow outside the gauges
                                                        // The realtime files should be absolute paths, "/xxx.txt" refers to the public root of your web server
            realTimeURL_Cumulus: 'realtimegauges.txt',     //*** Cumulus Users: Change to your location of the realtime file ***
            realTimeURL_WD     : 'customclientraw.txt',    //*** WD Users: Change to your location of the ccr file ***
            realTimeURL_VWS    : './steelseriesVWSjson.php', //*** VWS Users: Change to your location of the JSON script generator ***
            useCookies        : true,                   //Persistently store user preferences in a cookie?
            tipImages         : [],
            dewDisplayType    : 'app'                   //Initial 'scale' to display  'dew' - Dewpoint
                                                        // on the 'dewpoint' gauge.   'app' - Apparent temperature
                                                        //                            'wnd' - Wind Chill
                                                        //                            'hea' - Heat Index
                                                        //                            'hum' - Humidex

When you're finished, copy the entire content of the "gauges" directory in the "/gauges" of your website;
at this point, typing "http://wsvreewijk.ucoz.com/gauges/gauges-ss-basic.htm should see the page work.
If everything is ok we can then further customize.

Piero
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »
Ok To get it right Piero.

You wrote:

So I use this  folder GAUGES to put into the local file location   as in my screen print the arrow is pointed at . is that correct ????

If zo I understand that part.

Next thing is I would like to upload true ftp as all what I upload always goes first to my build in file manager.
please see my new print screen  and my  new question

if I click server file location brouwse a new screen opens do I have to change or fill in that part ?

Somehowe I think this is not going to be easy
If you have the feeling this brings us no where just let me know.

krgds Chris

see the attached image!
First, however, you must create the folder "/ gauges" on your website.
You will be sure that everything works only when in that folder, you'll see that VWS writes files wflash and wflash2.txt.
Then you can proceed with the instructions I posted.
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline ws vreewijk

• Netherlands
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
Hello Piero,

Aha this brings me further,slowly things becomes clear.
First of all I have to study your postings,and start to implement things.

your change in the print screen is now clear to me.

Thanks so far,

kind regards Chris

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
Piero,

Got it!  Thanks.

Do you know how to "not display the graphs just the info like Curly did?

Richard

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
Piero,

Got it!  Thanks.

Richard

Fine, Richard! How have you solved the problem?

In the gauges.js file, edit these rows, replacing "true" to "false" for what you do not want to see.:

showPopupData     : true,                   //Popup data displayed
showPopupGraphs   : true,                   //If popup data is displayed, show the graphs?

But looking at your page, it seems to me that you have already solved your own!
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline daybreak

• Alma Weather
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
Many thanks!

Richard

Offline Piero

• Valenza - Italy
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
Many thanks!

Richard

How have you solved the problem of 'station offline'?

Piero
Weatherlink IP
Virtual Weather Station
Cumulus
Weatherlink

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »
Piero,

Got it!  Thanks.

Richard

In the file  gauges.js 
Find this setting:
showPopupGraphs   : true,
Change it to this:
showPopupGraphs   : false,

anything