Author Topic: By mistake unscrewed the rain gauge screw and now my rainfall is not correct.  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
Hello I mistake unscrewed the rain gauge screw and now my rainfall is not correct. Iam so upset!! At this point its still under warranty and iam not putting the 5-1 on my roof again risking falling until 100 precent sure its working properly. Any advice I just don't feel confident doing with a cup to calibrate.?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Why did you take it down? You may have to do the cup calibration, but I saw somewhere a while back about turning the screws all the way in and backing them out 3 full turns to get a rough estimate, and then calibrate.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
To change the top cause acurite sent me new dual solar panel pro add on cause they said fan was not working. My high temps 2 days ago were of by like 7-8 degrees so they told me to try this first. I tired cup thing and I don't feel confident at all doing it right. also climbing up there and putting something not working right. I just want new one at this point its under warrenty 2-3 months old. Man sooooo upset I just was not paying attention.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
My temps are off like that as well. I have had a replacement. I don't know what is killing these units, but after reading in the Davis forum about air being thrown back down on the sensors, I looked at the exhaust vent holes where the air being pulled up has to go, and they are tiny... How can the hot air get through those fast enough? The exits practically don't exist. I gave up on the whole idea and use another thermometer. If you don't have proper airflow, it won't be accurate.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
You think they'll exchange for new one?? Also can I also my 3-1 up there till I solve the 5-1 issue? what exactly happens to cwop page and other sites. Getting " caution " now across the board on MESOWEST.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
"To change the top cause acurite sent me new dual solar panel pro add on cause they said fan was not working. My high temps 2 days ago were of by like 7-8 degrees so they told me to try this first. I tired cup thing and I don't feel confident at all doing it right. also climbing up there and putting something not working right. I just want new one at this point its under warrenty 2-3 months old. Man sooooo upset I just was not paying attention."

It seems to me the best answer would be to set up a temporary 5' tall pole at ground level and work a trial and error test. Carefully screw in the "good" screw, counting the revolutions, then screw the screw you mistakenly backed out, all the way down, then back both screws out the number of revolutions you counted earlier. NOTE, I don't own an AcuRite station but that's how I would do my Davis.

FWIW

George

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
I screwed both on tight so its both. It was a mistake

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
You can get an acurite thermo/hygro tower sensor and use that for your source to the Mesonet instead of the 5 in 1. It will show up in the LIVE Data tab. Click on it in the left column, and select "use outdoor sensor" You could also use the 3 in 1 for the same thing...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
I screwed both on tight so its both. It was a mistake

You can do it, I calibrated mine since it was reading too high from the factory... It is not impossible.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
What I do about Meteobridge software it's still running will it link up to the 3-1 after I install? What about WU and CWOP isn't that connected to the 5-1? Again it's just temporary till I get this solved with my 5-1 cause Iam gonna exchange still under warrenty.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
What I do about Meteobridge software it's still running will it link up to the 3-1 after I install? What about WU and CWOP isn't that connected to the 5-1? Again it's just temporary till I get this solved with my 5-1 cause Iam gonna exchange still under warrenty.
[/quote

Ok take me through steps cup thing annoying by the way

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=23017.0

Turn the screws in and back them out 5 full turns, then wait for rain, and compare to a manual gauge, or do the cup thing.

METEOBRIDGE,

It will find whatever sensor you activate and show you the readings... To use that new sensor, click on it in the far left column, it will be YELLOW BEFORE activation. CLICK "USE AS OUTDOOR SENSOR" The label will then turn GREEN, and the original label from the 5 in 1 will turn YELLOW.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:42:33 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
I did the same thing a few years ago and was never able to calibrate it with the drip cup thing.  Wound up just buying a new sensor.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
On the way to acurite for testing and to recalibrate. Also adding new 5-1 sensor pro add on. So we will see