Author Topic: dew point software glitch on mbw  (Read 3406 times)

Offline pig cooker

dew point software glitch on mbw
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »
I have been trying to get my forecast to work for almost three months I have purchased a hygrometer when my second 5 and 1 went down to humidity problems. I have reset numerous times. During this process I noticed if you adjust the humidity widget it will display an incorrect value on mbw. I made an adjustment of 5% on each display and the humidity widget . The displays will show the correct dew point as does wu . The answer I get for this problem is 12.92. wu will display 12.9 and my displays will show 13. Am I correct? THIA

Offline pig cooker

Re: dew point software glitch on mbw
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »
here  is a dew point calculator  acurite says there is no problem  http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/Humidity.html

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
Acurite has forwarded screen shots to their software partners .

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
How about a little participation there are mutiple software problems at MBW if we all work together maybe we can get these issues resolved . wind rain humidity dew point
Software glitch on MBW dew point is incorrect att Acurite Jenny
https://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/software_glitch_on_mbw_dew_point_is_incorrect_att_acurite_jenny?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bpage%5D=1#reply_13966515

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »
Well here is my take on it.

I already gave ol Jenny a few suggestions.   I got the usual Thank You we will look at it.

Next Acurite stations are low cost mediocre at best.   They have a serious quality control problem.

Their primary customer is not a serious hobbyist but your Aunt Judy who just wants to know how hot it is in her back yard and if it rained today.    Their product works for that.   It does not work for a halfway serious hobbyist.   

Until they see the profit in making a better system it ain't gonna happen.

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »
Well here is my take on it.

I already gave ol Jenny a few suggestions.   I got the usual Thank You we will look at it.

Next Acurite stations are low cost mediocre at best.   They have a serious quality control problem.

Their primary customer is not a serious hobbyist but your Aunt Judy who just wants to know how hot it is in her back yard and if it rained today.    Their product works for that.   It does not work for a halfway serious hobbyist.   

Until they see the profit in making a better system it ain't gonna happen.

Beau

I've received that same ole reply from one of the cs ladies don't recall which one. Its like ataboy thanks lol. I even had the tell me to take the wind cups of spray silicon on the shaft let it run down to quiet the aspirator motor . When I questioned that remark I suggested that she look at a cross section of the product and her reply was "oh I thought we were taking about wind bearings". Again I informed her that was not the way to do that and they were sealed bearings. I could go on and on. Quality control !!!!!!!!!! My place looks like a bone yard of 5n1s . They do replace the stuff but I am tired of dealing with cs. Tired of documenting things with screen grabs and them tell me there are no problems.

When you report a problem to the chart flippers, well  at this point I know more than they do. Sometimes they want you to document the know problem to death, which has been the case with my software glitches. Yesterday I lost another .01 on my rain (snow melt)total, which makes .02 for the month. The bridge goes from 3 bars to 1 for no reason, I live in the middle of nowhere so there is no interference have not lost any data that I have caught from wu
except rain . I have never received a notice from wu but I wouldn't want to be sitting on 2 bars --------------going to none.

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
Looks like the bug has been at work for a while. Another mystery. Software problem maybe?
Barometric Pressure Off and Lost Data
https://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/barometric_pressure_off_and_lost_data

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
Here is another software problem that has been going on for a while. They just seem to never get acknowledged and passed on to the proper channels. 
defective display unit, wind speed and pressure wrong
https://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/defective_display_unit_wind_speed_and_pressure_wrong

Offline jonkjon

• K2mm Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »
I believe everyone needs to let customer support know about these issues as well as making absolutely sure that you leave reviews about the product on the Acurite site. I read many posts here and on the Acurite site and didn't see anything near these horror stories until just a couple of days after making my purchase. So far,i haven't encountered the dew point calc error but I haven't attempted to tweak it yet. I have observed some too low temp readings at night but nothing out of the +-2 degree range. The barometer just finished the 14 day learning and it is reporting about .20 inches too low. I use weather-display to adjust my readings based on MADIS data at the CWOP site. I'll just have to wait and see if everything keeps working. The biggest gripe i have with the 01035 unit is the display is not easy to read, especially with the back light on. I wrote customer support about it after reading in the customer reviews section that someone got an exchange of the 01035 display for the new color 013036rx display. They informed me that they don't exchange displays and I wrote back and told them that they need to edit the review to reflect this. They haven't responded to that or edited the review. One of the main reasons i took a gamble in this unit was because of the frequent updates I saw from Rhino. I haven't seen him here lately so that is a little disappointing. I am kind of feeling like a guinea pig for this product line (not to mention the extra cash one has to lay out to see if the dual solar panels work for the temp issues. Shouldn't this be the way the unit comes?) with all of its issues. Oh well, enough ranting....of to play with the dew point.....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
Acurite does have some problems, especially with the bridge dropping 5n1 sensor signals and a bevy of bugs on the MBW site, particularly with forecasts.

But otherwise the hardware gives decent readings.  The barometer is pretty good once you realize the display value is a zero-configuration approximation of MSL pressure based on averages.   If you report information to the internet, you can apply your own calibration to MSL.  I don't get why some people get so frantic over a simple LCD display.  Knowing the exact numerical pressure isn't exactly useful for most folk.

I can't explain why Acurite is slow to work on the real problems.  I suspect they have fewer technical developers than they used to have, and that might be a big part of the problem. 

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
I should have put this part of my post here.

George
Have you tried to recreate the dew point scenario? I have, twice once before and after a full reset. Why don't you try it and let me know? It is very simple on your humidity widget lower the humidity by 5% or more  (and then use the dew point calculator) , you will also have to lower the your display by the same amount. Then check mbw dew point it will or should be incorrect let it go to wu  and you will see it will shows the correct answer that is on your display and wu. I am looking forward to viewing your results. If you don't wish to try it I wish someone here would.

To be completely honest it really bothers me that I had several conversations on the phone and documented it, to try and help them as well as the community in general . For Meagan to be so dismissive when I spent the time to do the screen grabs and even give the lady a dew point calculator and tell me there is no software problem is deplorable.  And I would venture to say they have not tried to recreate it yet. I think they need to do their home work before they keep handing out assignments to customers or just saying I will pass it on and the round filling it.  They have tons of issues with software and I am sure you are aware of many of them.

I already have lots of experience trouble shooting problems and getting paid for it

I came to this forum to learn more about weather.
Modify message

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
Acurite does have some problems, especially with the bridge dropping 5n1 sensor signals and a bevy of bugs on the MBW site, particularly with forecasts.

But otherwise the hardware gives decent readings.  The barometer is pretty good once you realize the display value is a zero-configuration approximation of MSL pressure based on averages.   If you report information to the internet, you can apply your own calibration to MSL.  I don't get why some people get so frantic over a simple LCD display.  Knowing the exact numerical pressure isn't exactly useful for most folk.

I can't explain why Acurite is slow to work on the real problems.  I suspect they have fewer technical developers than they used to have, and that might be a big part of the problem. 

Part of their problem is if you have two displays and a bridge you have three barometers that move at different rates. I think you and I came up with a +- .04 hg if I remember ( I think Meagan said the spread could be .12 or 15 because of the reporting periods. I have watched  2 displays very closely and they can update within a a few minutes of less .) anyway they do not always move at the same rate or direction you will have to trust me on that one. This also  will make the displays show an event is over  sometimes hrs apart . Not to mention their printed manual is not the same as the online manual.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
Part of their problem is if you have two displays and a bridge you have three barometers that move at different rates. I think you and I came up with a +- .04 hg if I remember ( I think Meagan said the spread could be .12 or 15 because of the reporting periods. I have watched  2 displays very closely and they can update within a a few minutes of less .) anyway they do not always move at the same rate or direction you will have to trust me on that one. This also  will make the displays show an event is over  sometimes hrs apart . Not to mention their printed manual is not the same as the online manual.

Yes, you have three barometers.  Yes, they update at different rates.  It really doesn't matter a whole lot.  I think the bridge is about a minute and the older displays 12 minutes (newer displays might be faster).   So, no, it's unlikely that they're all going to update at the same time.  The two displays probably won't read the same exact pressure, either, because they don't allow for manual calibration to MSL.

I'm not sure what this really has to do with anything.

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Once again  and this should be  under a different topic sorry my fault.
"Part of their problem is if you have two displays and a bridge you have three barometers that move at different rates. I think you and I came up with a +- .04 hg if I remember ( I think Meagan said the spread could be .12 or 15 because of the reporting periods. I have watched  2 displays very closely and they can update within a a few minutes of less .) anyway they do not always move at the same rate or direction you will have to trust me on that one. This also  will make the displays show an event is over  sometimes hrs apart . Not to mention their printed manual is not the same as the online manual."

This causes rain event to end at different times on different displays and the bridge anyway they do not always move at the same rate or direction you will have to trust me on that one. This also  will make the displays show an event is over  sometimes hrs apart .

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »
This causes rain event to end at different times on different displays and the bridge anyway they do not always move at the same rate or direction you will have to trust me on that one. This also  will make the displays show an event is over  sometimes hrs apart .

The "rain event" isn't a standardized observation that I know of.  I haven't seen them publish it in a data sheet.  It probably means whatever Acurite says it means on whatever particular device they're talking about.

Personally I'd rather they just measure precipitation from midnight or 7:00AM like most services do.

Offline pig cooker

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »

The "rain event" isn't a standardized observation that I know of.  I haven't seen them publish it in a data sheet.  It probably means whatever Acurite says it means on whatever particular device they're talking about.

Personally I'd rather they just measure precipitation from midnight or 7:00AM like most services do.

I agree !"Personally I'd rather they just measure precipitation from midnight or 7:00AM like most services do."

Here is what Megan says
"The pressure rising by .03 inHg is correct and that combined with no registered rain for one hour will reset the rain event. This is registered rain readings on the display unit. Either of the units being in the learning mode will not affect the results. The learning mode is used for the forecasting and adjusting barometric pressure readings based on location and altitude. In order to best help you we would like to see screen shots of both MBW and the display unit showing what you are seeing. How long has the 01010 unit been setup? How long has the bridge been setup? Thank you."
Here is the thread https://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/main_unit_rainfall_differs_from_mbw

"The "rain event" isn't a standardized observation that I know of.  I haven't seen them publish it in a data sheet.  It probably means whatever Acurite says it means on whatever particular device they're talking about." confuses everyone they don't even standardize

Here is definition from the manual 1055 man
The RAINFALL weather page will display the rainfall total from the
current rain event. A weather system may come into your area very
slowly, and may rain over many hours or days without many breaks.
The rainfall weather page displayed event total accounts for this and
will continue to display the total until the rain event is over.
http://www.acurite.com/media/manuals/01055-display-instructions.pdf

In my written manuel for my 1500 it says
The RAINFALL weather page will display the rainfall total from the
current rain event. A weather system may come into your area very
slowly, and may rain over many hours or days without many breaks.
The rainfall weather page displayed event total accounts for this and
will continue to display the total until the rain event is over.

So my point is three  fold
1 three barometers that are not exactly the same in three different devises going different directions causes a the event to end at different times sometimes hrs apart is problem

1)The met criteria is not setting the rainfall event back to zero on neither the MBW nor on my display unit.

2)Both displays reset and different times.  This may then cause a single rainfall event to reflect different totals if they come on the heal of one another IE., if one resets and the other doesn't and more rain falls.

PS...I just checked the Display Unit and as of 10:00 AM it still hasn't reset the weather event.

3 read the short thread https://support.acurite.com/acurite/topics/main_unit_rainfall_differs_from_mbw and again it goes off the radar after a homework assignment

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
I've already seen all this in another thread. 

There's no point in continuing this here.

Offline jonkjon

• K2mm Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
........The barometer is pretty good once you realize the display value is a zero-configuration approximation of MSL pressure based on averages.

Yes, from what I've seen here over the years, most members are educated enough to know what this is. However, sadly, it doesn't appear to be a very good approximation. However, for me, Weather Display software takes care of that.

I don't get why some people get so frantic over a simple LCD display.

I'm certainly not 'frantic' over the LCD display. If I was, I would have returned it. However, it is a rather poor design as is attested to in these forums and on Acurite's community forums. I raise the issue here because people should know about it. Turning the back light off makes readability much better IMHO. The displays on both the WMR200 and the Davis stations blow this one away. I mention this here only for comparison as dollar for dollar it isn't fair. Acurite has not corrected the post which gives consumers the impression that they will exchange these displays with newer color ones. That is simply untrue and they should amend the review to reflect that. It's misleading. Furthermore, the display is also the key element in this unit's ability to provide data to my PC for analysis and recording. I just discovered today that it doesn't even update time for DST. I don't believe the new color display does either but i'm not absolutely certain of that. That really should be addressed, especially with these PC connect units. As far as the barometer reading, it doesn't match with anything that gets passed to the PC via usb, so for all intents and purposes, you're right. They may as well just take the numerical value for that off of the display and just leave the rising/falling indicator. As far as MBW goes, it seems decent. I don't really rely on it all that much but, that's just software and coding. Those things are easy to fix once you figure out where the errors are. Hardware, however, is not so easily fixed. And when customers are the ones left holding the mistakes, that leaves a bad taste in their mouths. So, to summarize the display issues:

Poor Readability with back light on
Weather Ticker Extremely difficult to read (back light or not)
No DST Updates
Questionable Approximation of Barometer Displayed and no user configurable representation of it

Overall, I still like the unit. The customer support hasn't thrilled me and the sensors are still a question mark for me. I am able to use Weather Display to pull it all together. So, overall, I am 'satisfied'. That's not a glowing review or a 'frantic' cry for massive overhauls. It's just my honest opinion.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »
Yes, from what I've seen here over the years, most members are educated enough to know what this is. However, sadly, it doesn't appear to be a very good approximation. However, for me, Weather Display software takes care of that.

Well, for the average consumer, it's a better approximation than they'll typically make on their own.  The point is that the user just pulls it out of the box and lets it run for a couple weeks, and it then displays a reasonable value.  Assuming you have "average" weather over a month, it works fairly well.  If your weather is not-so-average for some reason, you can always restart the learning period again. 

I just checked my "Acurite" pressure to the nearest airport about 10 miles away.  They're both reporting 29.87.  I usually don't see much more than a few hundredths difference between them.  Maybe I'm just lucky. 

Probably what Acurite should have done was have both the auto-setting feature a manual calibration feature, but that might be a tall order for a display in the $40 range.  I think their top-of-the-line display does offer a manual adjustment for the barometer.  Their USB models let you adjust the absolute pressure via software, of course.

I'm certainly not 'frantic' over the LCD display. If I was, I would have returned it. However, it is a rather poor design as is attested to in these forums and on Acurite's community forums. I raise the issue here because people should know about it. Turning the back light off makes readability much better IMHO. The displays on both the WMR200 and the Davis stations blow this one away.

I'm not sure which of their displays you're referring to.  The 5n1 setups have at least 5 different display options that I know of.  Each one has its pros and cons.  Personally I like the latest color one, but you pretty much have to have the back-light ON all the time for readability.  At least in my opinion.

I mention this here only for comparison as dollar for dollar it isn't fair. Acurite has not corrected the post which gives consumers the impression that they will exchange these displays with newer color ones. That is simply untrue and they should amend the review to reflect that. It's misleading. Furthermore, the display is also the key element in this unit's ability to provide data to my PC for analysis and recording.

I've no idea what you're referring to.  You can always buy as many displays as you need/want, and they will all work simultaneously.  I'm not aware of any general "upgrade" program where you exchange your old display for something different.  Maybe they've done that with a few customers as a courtesy gesture, but I don't think that's the norm.  I could be wrong, though...I don't follow their marketing that closely.

I just discovered today that it doesn't even update time for DST. I don't believe the new color display does either but i'm not absolutely certain of that. That really should be addressed, especially with these PC Connect units.

Personally I prefer to make the clock adjustments manually on any device that is supplying data.  It makes for much less confusion, especially if you're using the internal data buffer of the PC Connect units.  Then there's that annoying problem of changing the clocks before you go to bed, then the clock makes another adjustment at 2:00AM in the morning.

As far as the barometer reading, it doesn't match with anything that gets passed to the PC via usb, so for all intents and purposes, you're right. They may as well just take the numerical value for that off of the display and just leave the rising/falling indicator. As far as MBW goes, it seems decent. I don't really rely on it all that much but, that's just software and coding. Those things are easy to fix once you figure out where the errors are.

As you probably know, the PC-Connect units and the Bridge pass the absolute pressure, so you have the option of making whatever adjustment you require. 

Hardware, however, is not so easily fixed. And when customers are the ones left holding the mistakes, that leaves a bad taste in their mouths

What mistakes?  That they didn't choose the setup with the right display?

So, to summarize the display issues:

Poor Readability with back light on
Weather Ticker Extremely difficult to read (back light or not)
No DST Updates
Questionable Approximation of Barometer Displayed and no user configurable representation of it

So you get a display that fits your needs.  I'm not sure about the DST issue, but as far as your other concerns, just pick (or add) the right display.

Overall, I still like the unit. The customer support hasn't thrilled me and the sensors are still a question mark for me. I am able to use Weather Display to pull it all together. So, overall, I am 'satisfied'. That's not a glowing review or a 'frantic' cry for massive overhauls. It's just my honest opinion.

That's fine, but you're giving the impression that there are no choices.  There are several setups available, and all the displays designed for the 5n1 are compatible and can be used simultaneously.  It's not like you're locked in to using only one display.  Heck, for many people the best option is often to go to WalMart and pick up the cheapest $99 setup and then add the more elaborate display with the features they want/need.   You end up with two displays that way, but it generally works out that the less expensive one ends up being "free" and can also be used elsewhere in the house.

As far as the sensors go, they work pretty well.  The biggest issue for most people is that the 5n1 doesn't report wind data nearly as frequently as the Davis.

Offline jonkjon

• K2mm Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »

Well, for the average consumer, it's a better approximation than they'll typically make on their own.  The point is that the user just pulls it out of the box and lets it run for a couple weeks, and it then displays a reasonable value.  Assuming you have "average" weather over a month, it works fairly well.  If your weather is not-so-average for some reason, you can always restart the learning period again. 

I just checked my "Acurite" pressure to the nearest airport about 10 miles away.  They're both reporting 29.87.  I usually don't see much more than a few hundredths difference between them.  Maybe I'm just lucky.

Probably what Acurite should have done was have both the auto-setting feature a manual calibration feature, but that might be a tall order for a display in the $40 range.  I think their top-of-the-line display does offer a manual adjustment for the barometer.  Their USB models let you adjust the absolute pressure via software, of course.

I think you're right...you're one of the lucky ones.

I'm not sure which of their displays you're referring to.  The 5n1 setups have at least 5 different display options that I know of.  Each one has its pros and cons.  Personally I like the latest color one, but you pretty much have to have the back-light ON all the time for readability.  At least in my opinion.

I've no idea what you're referring to.  You can always buy as many displays as you need/want, and they will all work simultaneously.  I'm not aware of any general "upgrade" program where you exchange your old display for something different.  Maybe they've done that with a few customers as a courtesy gesture, but I don't think that's the norm.  I could be wrong, though...I don't follow their marketing that closely.

I assumed that when you made the remark about being 'frantic about the LCD', you were referring to my post directly above that one. Apparently you weren't or you would know what I am referring to as well as which display I have. I now know that you must not have read my post. I apologize for making the incorrect assumption.

As you probably know, the PC-Connect units and the Bridge pass the absolute pressure, so you have the option of making whatever adjustment you require. 

And as I stated, it doesn't match the display. Making the display reading somewhat useless.....

So you get a display that fits your needs.  I'm not sure about the DST issue, but as far as your other concerns, just pick (or add) the right display.

I'm not gonna harp on the display issue anymore. The one I have is 'adequate'. It has room for improvement. I think for me this just boils down to expectations. This isn't my first weather station. It is by far the worst display of any i have owned before. If you're coming from something else, you expect certain things to just be right. The display console viewing angle is one of them. This isn't exactly new technology. They need to rethink this design IMHO.

That's fine, but you're giving the impression that there are no choices.  There are several setups available, and all the displays designed for the 5n1 are compatible and can be used simultaneously.  It's not like you're locked in to using only one display.  Heck, for many people the best option is often to go to WalMart and pick up the cheapest $99 setup and then add the more elaborate display with the features they want/need.  You end up with two displays that way, but it generally works out that the less expensive one ends up being "free" and can also be used elsewhere in the house.

As far as the sensors go, they work pretty well.  The biggest issue for most people is that the 5n1 doesn't report wind data nearly as frequently as the Davis.

You're right, I suppose one could go buy another unit with a different display and get a better setup. It would seem to me to cost more that way but the bigger realization here is you just made my point. The customer has to piece together the system to get it right. It shouldn't be that way. I've never had to do it before and I certainly don't think I should have to do it now. I don't see too many Davis owners or OS owners shopping around for better displays. We are all tweakers here...but the display isn't one that too many tinker with.

I didn't intend to start anything with anyone over this. These are my observations. They are all true. As i said before, the station is 'adequate'. The connectivity is great between the display and the 5 in 1. The sensors seem ok. I still have a few issues with the readings but I'm confident that I'll get them ironed out over time. I just hope not to become one of those who harbor a bone yard full of 5 in 1's.

I appreciate your point of view. I just am not quite as enthusiastic about the station as you are.....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »

I think you're right...you're one of the lucky ones.

Very lucky, I guess.  The algorithm is published on the spec sheet.  I can't figure out why it shouldn't pretty accurate as long as a month learning period generates a sufficient average.  I have 3 displays and a bridge, and they all report within a few hundredths of an inch of each other.

It would be an interesting project for someone to to compare the absolute readings with Acurite's method and graph them over time (including the learning period) against NWS readings.  The math seems very sound.  It would make a great science-fair project for high-schooler.

You're right, I suppose one could go buy another unit with a different display and get a better setup. It would seem to me to cost more that way but the bigger realization here is you just made my point. The customer has to piece together the system to get it right. It shouldn't be that way. I've never had to do it before and I certainly don't think I should have to do it now. I don't see too many Davis owners or OS owners shopping around for better displays. We are all tweakers here...but the display isn't one that too many tinker with.

I don't know about that.  I've heard several complaints about the Davis displays over the years, too, and the amount of stuff you have to add (like the data logger) in order to simply report to the internet.  I've owned Davis (ran one for a few years, but after too much damage I finally retired it) as well as several other brands and a homebrew for over 16 years now.

Personally I find the Davis setup clunky and archaic for the price you have to pay.  Just as you think Acurite needs to redesign their displays, I think Davis needs to rethink their whole philosophy using discrete data loggers and other old serial tech.   

If you really want to tinker, the Acurite AcuLink system is highly hackable at very low cost.  Right now I'm in the initials stages of adding a small color touch screen to the Pi system controlling my Acurite Bridge.  I think that's the future of the displays rather than sticking with traditional LCDs.

I didn't intend to start anything with anyone over this. These are my observations.

Understood.  I'm just trying to dispel some myths and attitudes some have about Acurite equipment.  They have some issues, but they also have some very strong points.  I feel Acurite is much closer to the likely future of personal weather stations than the other major vendors like Davis.  Acurite's lack of development activity bothers me, though, and they could easily lose their advantage. 

I'd have no qualms jumping to another vendor with the right tech at the right price.

I appreciate your point of view. I just am not quite as enthusiastic about the station as you are.....

Likewise.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:11:25 AM by nincehelser »