Author Topic: Which Weather Station?  (Read 5653 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Which Weather Station?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
I currently have my station about 6ft off the ground and it is a 5-in-1 station. I noticed the difference last night but all the other times during daytime it appears very close with in 1 degree but last night it was off by about 5 degrees made me wonder.

Compared to what?

Offline MikeSatter

• Central-Clemson Clear Sky Clock
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »
There are three other stations within three miles of me,  and I was the lowest. This only occurred at night during the day we are within one degree.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
OK.  So I'm guessing you are wondering why your reading is different from the other three?

That's where the fun comes in (assuming you like puzzles like this).

I don't want to take any of your fun away, so I'll keep quiet until you ask for opinions.   :-)

Offline MikeSatter

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 06:38:20 AM »
Here is the readings this morning from five stations within a five mile radius 19, 21.4, 22, 22.7 and mine 16.7 could it be that far off at night maybe dew (dampness) has something to do with it. Like I said in previous post, it is dead on during the day so would it be more accurate if it were mounted on my house? I two jobs and don't have time to experiment with my unit so any tips would be appreciated.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 08:45:36 AM »
Here is the readings this morning from five stations within a five mile radius 19, 21.4, 22, 22.7 and mine 16.7 could it be that far off at night maybe dew (dampness) has something to do with it. Like I said in previous post, it is dead on during the day so would it be more accurate if it were mounted on my house? I two jobs and don't have time to experiment with my unit so any tips would be appreciated.

I think more likely your station is actually correct.

Typically if your site is having some sort of issue, it will read *warmer* than it probably should, being influenced by something nearby radiating heat or otherwise moderating the temperature.  Sunlight hitting the sensor is often a problem, causing high readings during the day....that's why radiation shields and aspiration fans are common.  But your difference is at night when sunlight isn't a factor.

If your station is standing alone in a grassy field 6 feet from the ground, you're likely getting a better temperature reading than a unit mounted rooftop that could be picking up rising heat from the house.  I can't remember the exact height, but the optimum placement for temperature sensors is about 6 feet from the ground.

Don't assume those other stations are necessarily sited well.  Don't make any assumptions on brand of equipment either.  It's good to consider why your station is reading differently, but in this particular case I'm betting that your station is reading well, and possibly better than those other stations.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
And don't compare readings to stations so far away. We have 3 stations on our 10 acres. Right now there is a 4 degree F spread between them, and they are 300-600 feet apart. Sometimes the spread is 10 degrees or more between the ISS at the house and the tem/hum station down in the woods 110' lower (inversion layer).

Offline MikeSatter

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the temperature variation. Tonight I am going to place another sensor outside and see what happens and will let you know.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the temperature variation. Tonight I am going to place another sensor outside and see what happens and will let you know.

Good move.  That gives you some sense of trust in your equipment.

Try to mount it right on the 5n1 if possible.  There can sometimes be a substantial difference in a surprisingly short distance.

When I do a verification like this, I often use the $8 Acurite "Tower" sensor.  I use a little hook to hang it from the lip of the 5n1's rain cup. 

If things go well, they should agree nicely at night.  In direct sunlight, though, you could see major differences as the Tower sensor has no fan aspiration.  I've seen as much as 10F degrees.  Typically the Tower sensor should be mounted in the shade.

The published error specification for Acurite temperature sensors is plus/minus 2F degrees at 32F.  So if you're comparing 2 of their sensors, in the worst possible case you might see a 4F degree difference between them.  Usually it should be with a degree or two, though.  As you get down to around -40, the possible error range grows to plus/minus 4F for each sensor.

Relative Humidity readings are much more variable.  Their published error range is plus/minus 5 percentage points in the 20% to 80% range.  The readings in the upper and lower 20% get really iffy.  I just think of them as "really dry" and "really humid".

For completeness, I might as well say that if your temperatures are expected to drop below -4F, you should be using lithium (e.g. Energizer Lithium) batteries in the sensors.  Otherwise, you can stick with regular alkaline AA batteries.  Rechargables and other battery chemistries (like "heavy duty") aren't recommended.

Offline MikeSatter

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:37 AM »
I haven't had time to put out a tower thermometer yet but this morning my station is within 1˚ of all the surrounding stations some higher and some lower. I did swap out the solar panel yesterday with a dual panel, but I don't think that has anything to do with accuracy in the winter.  It appears very accurate in all other measurements, and I really enjoy the fact that I can pull up my home temperature when I’m at work and can share data. I appreciate everyone's help!!!

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »
I've noticed that the nighttime lows, especially on clear, calm, good radiational nights, are several degrees colder than surrounding locations with the 5-in-1. I usually don't sweat it that much, since I'm more interested in accurate daytime high temperatures.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
I've noticed that the nighttime lows, especially on clear, calm, good radiational nights, are several degrees colder than surrounding locations with the 5-in-1. I usually don't sweat it that much, since I'm more interested in accurate daytime high temperatures.

I'm pretty sure if you test it by putting another thermometer right beside it you'll find it is accurate. 

If not, return it.

Offline MikeSatter

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
I thought my 5-in-1 was off at first until I did the side by side comparison.