Poll

Do you use a strict Wx computer for all your station uploads and data? Or do you just use your general use computer?

Wx computer
36 (83.7%)
General use
7 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Wx computer  (Read 6292 times)

Offline Jiles111

• MyCams
Re: Wx computer
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »
Several Dedicated machines here.

Dual Core P4 (2.4) 2GB ram. VitrualVP, WD, VWS, WeatherLink, Active Webcam, Oddcast, Grlevel3 (2 different instances)

P4 ( 2.8 )  1GB Ram, WebcamXp, F5, Storm Predator, D-Links IP surveillance

P4 ( 3.0 ) 1GB VM95 (Dedicated Olympus Digital Camera converted to Web Cam)

Dual Core P4 ( 2.8 ) 4gb Ram, WD-Weather Line (Ran only for the "Weather Answer Phone" Feature). Digital Atmosphere, InstaWarn, Backup Grlevel3, backup F5 Data.

P4 ( 3.4 ) Extreme 4GB ram. 2.5 TB HD. Windows Home server (Not weather related, but it does backup all my Weather Machines)

I outgrew my Linksys router. I had to go out and purchase a D-Link 8 port business router (I have a 16 port switch that everything plugs into). My linksys was bogging the internet down and constantly locking up. I guess that is expected with a 4 port router with 12 devices on the network.  :oops:

EDIT: lol I typed (2.eight) (instead of saying eight, I put in a 8 )  and it gave me a smiley instead of the 8. (2.8)  Stewpid Smiley!!!.   I had to fix all my numbers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:15:59 PM by Jiles111 »

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Wx computer
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »
I clicked Wx Computer because it's closer than General to what I do.

I have a Dell Quad-Core Optiplex N Series with 3 GB RAM, XP Pro, and a Sunix 8-Port serial card that runs all the weather stuff including the Boltek card and NexStorm, plus HomeSeer for home automation, the Brultech energy monitor connection and tenholder software, and other 24/7 apps like the telemetry monitoring software for our water company.

Between real and virtual ports, it has 21 serial ports. I've had to request a couple of software authors to add higher COM port # capability to their programs because I just couldn't shuffle the ports around enough to get everything connected.

Funny..my school has a plethora of Dell Optiplexes with dual core processors made by Intel- all running at 2.26gHz. Library computers have 1 gb RAM, while the others have had multiple RAM replacements- one of them I came across in a class room that only had 256MB of RAM, which explained why it loaded the desktop so friggin' slow. At least my school district is TRYING to switch them all out with HP/Compaq computers. The Dells are beat to crap, and the older HP's here have a cheap aluminum top that the old boat anchor monitors are slowly caving in. Half the school still uses boat anchors, while the rest uses flat panels..and only one computer lab is running Windows Vista. Everything else is XP Pro and Windows 2000. And only one of the Optiplexes is a weather computer, but its for a class and isn't connected to the network.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:14:40 PM by Chris H. »
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

anything