Author Topic: XP Replacement/Alternative?  (Read 861 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
XP Replacement/Alternative?
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »
I just DLed the VM for ReactOS - open source XP replacement.  Anyone played with it and weather apps?  Looks very lean and fast.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: XP Replacement/Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
Well, I've bookmarked it.  Maybe one day I'll feel froggy... ;)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
I ran through the tutorial and it is running many M$ components like Paint which makes it kind of illegal (I am not saying it like its a bad thing) ??? I have played with TinyXP but haven't had time to mess with Tiny7 yet. The big question is though would these versions of O/S still be as vulnerable to viruses as the real deal ? Also are they worth the risk of the creator maybe planting a back door or an unknown/untested bug? While I am a big Ubuntu fan I saw the demo in Zorin O/S...wow ! Kind of kills BSD. Anyway back to Windows replacement.....it would be nice if someone built a Win7 replacement that was low cost/no cost and without that annoying COA/Activation crap.

There was a stripped down version of XP I had several years ago....when you went to the website to download it....at the top of the page it said..."All Praise to Allah !!"....I never ran it.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »
You can create a Winlite version of XP pretty easily.  No idea bout the virus thing though... Hmmm...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything