Author Topic: [Total beginner] Weather station for the suburbs  (Read 1234 times)

Offline mrlins

[Total beginner] Weather station for the suburbs
« on: March 23, 2019, 01:53:45 AM »
Hello experts!

Hoping that someone here can give me some advice on model and mounting options for a weather station to be used in a suburban area with very limited space. I'm looking for something that has all the basic features (temp, wind, rain) and can be mounted on the house, preferably on the side of the building. I also want it to connect to the internet so that I can check the status on my phone and - as a bonus - trigger smart home devices through IFTT. I understand that the limited space might have negative effect on accuracy, but as long as it's only a slight one, I'm ok with it. The main purpose is to help me spot/forecast strong winds which is a problem we have at this location.

I was initially looking at the Netatmo set as it seems to be smaller and better suited for residential areas, but reading the reviews I'm worried about battery issues and poor customer support. Instead, I found my way to the Ambient Weather WS-2000 which seems to have everything I want and has a solid following with overall great reviews. The problem, however, is that I'm not sure it can be mounted in a way that works for me.

Searching for a place (any place) to put it, I thought I might be able to mount it to the rainwater pipe on the side of the building (see photo). I guess I would need to use a mast-to-mast mounting kit (see photo) or something and get a separate pole for the weather station. Still, some concerns I have are:
- How much stress will the weather station put on the rainwater pipe?
- At around 2 m up, will the weather station be high enough off the ground to give an accurate reading?
- Is there any risk of lightning striking the weather station? (as you can see in the photo, the weather station would still be on a level much lower than the main roof of the house)

I've never owned a weather station and am completely new to all of this so any advice - even if it's "forget about it" helps :)

Thanks!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: [Total beginner] Weather station for the suburbs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 05:40:30 AM »
If you have access to the higher main roof, putting a station up there will get you the best wind readings with no wind/sun shadows.  A non-penetrating satellite dish "flat" roof mount held down by sandbags or cinder blocks should do the trick.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:39:35 AM »
I totally agree with vreihen that it isn't going to work too well especially for wind at that location. Instead use a mount like this where you can adjust to the roof pitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Penetrating-Roof-Mount-satellite/dp/B003L1BCCK/
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mrlins

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »
Thank you guys! Makes total sense :) On the roof would be the only good position and then I would need something that has an adjustable angle, like you suggested. Will keep looking into this :) Thanks again!

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
When selecting a mount and its location keep in mind that at some point you may need to access the station/sensor(s) for repair, maintenance, or upgrade.  Higher is not always better.

anything