Author Topic: New Member, New VP2  (Read 1905 times)

Offline DA270

New Member, New VP2
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:04 AM »
Hello fellow weather buffs! After a long time coming, my VP2 station went in service yesterday! I've been "doing" weather instruments since childhood and for me that's a long time. This looks like a great group and I'm excited to be a member.  :-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: New Member, New VP2
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum!!!  That is a fantastic installation of the anemometer sensor...wireless, I presume?  How high is it?  It should give you some good accurate readings. 

I'm not so sure about the cement pad beneath the ISS, though.  Seems that block of cement could be a big heat sink that might skew your temperature readings...???  .  Most of what I've seen/read said to mount the sensors over grass but it seems some airports, etc., place them over asphalt, cement, gravel at times, though, so maybe it's not a bad thing.  Looks like it's several feet in the air...how high is it (the ISS)?

Where are you located at?

Again, welcome aboard!!!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
Hi,
welcome to the forum!

Looking at your installation you obviously take this seriously, good job!

Best regards from the Czech Republic

Jachym

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
Welcome from Colorado Springs. Nice set up.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
Hi and welcome from Komoka, Canada.  A very nice installation and the new rain gauge as well =D> .

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
Welcome.

ISS should be over grass or soil, otherwise the heat radiates from the concrete up.  It should be 5 feet up according the the sitting requirements.  However, looking at your setup, you should have no problems  from the mounting pad you have.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »
That is a fantastic installation. It's one everyone would like to have. I don't think there is enough cement around that pole to affect anything, IMO, it's when you have lots of tarmac, or gravel, etc that it becomes very obviously an issue. There is grass all around that installation. Did you install the rain gauge away from the tower to make sure rainfall wasn't blocked? There is a Davis on a tower not far from me that I believe causes the rain gauge to read way too low.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:45:15 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »
That is a fantastic installation of the anemometer sensor...wireless, I presume? 
I'm not so sure about the cement pad beneath the ISS, though.  Seems that block of cement could be a big heat sink
That's a really nice anny setup! Yes, it's wireless, you can see the TX box at the base of the single pole.
Don't know about the cement with all that grass around, all I know is it would drive me nuts knowing it might have an effect. I'd throw some green dirt over it. :grin:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
Well, I am Irish... ;)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »
Well, I am Irish... ;)
William Wallace is my hero: "Dulce periculum"
I had to google everything but "is my hero". :lol: He's a Scott!

Offline MBYWxWatcher

• Try and fail, but never fail to try.
    • Personal Weather Stations
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »
Hello fellow weather buffs! After a long time coming, my VP2 station went in service yesterday! I've been "doing" weather instruments since childhood and for me that's a long time. This looks like a great group and I'm excited to be a member.  :-)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Welcome from Mount Airy, North Carolina! Nice set-up!

Station: Davis Wireless VP2+ FARS w/UV/Solar w/ Meteobridge 2.7
WebCam: Foscam FI9900P Outdoor HD 1080P Wireless
Web Site: www.personalweatherstations.com
Leuven: http://www.personalweatherstations.com/weather28/
HomeWeatherStationDashboard: http://personalweatherstations.com/pws/nonmetric.php
Weather Underground: KNCMOUNT24

Offline DA270

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome and comments!
There were several questions so hopefully I'll answer them all.

The wind sensors are at a height of 10m and use the Davis 6332 wireless anemometer transmitter kit. I'm located in northern Palm Beach County, Florida between Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens.

I decided to separate the ISS from the tower because I thought the tower would most likely affect the rain gauge readings. We also have a lot of lightning here and it's fried many sensors, circuit boards, and various consoles over the years, so separating the tower with the bare minimum equipment and wireless transmission will hopefully help on maintenance.

I didn't think about heat radiation being significant from the small concrete pad under the ISS. The pad is 2x2 feet, surrounded by grass and the ISS is mounted at 2m above the ground. My main objective with the ISS concrete pad and height was trying to keep the lawn maintenance guys from tinkering with the sensors or crashing in to the pole with their mowers.  :grin:

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »
Now you need a website to post the data live.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline DA270

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 06:15:24 AM »
Now you need a website to post the data live.

I agree! That's next on my to-do list.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 06:36:31 AM »
Good Morning DA270,
You will have to change the battery in the 6332 wireless anemometer transmitter kit. I would suggest you consider relocating it to 6' to 8' so it can be easily done. Then, if you're really into climbing towers, you can do that whenever you want to, not when you need to, which could be inconvenient.
FWIW
George

OH! Great site!

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »
Wow, Nice Setup =D> somehow I dont think my neighborhood would let me stick a mast that big up in my back yard :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:12:14 AM by Toxic »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline DA270

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
Good Morning DA270,
You will have to change the battery in the 6332 wireless anemometer transmitter kit. I would suggest you consider relocating it to 6' to 8' so it can be easily done. Then, if you're really into climbing towers, you can do that whenever you want to, not when you need to, which could be inconvenient.
FWIW
George

OH! Great site!

Yes! This was actually a decision I mulled over for a long time. Having the 6332 down at the tower base would definitely make for easy servicing. There were three reasons I decided to put it up on the "stick". The way the tower is oriented with relation to the receiver, the 6332 antenna would not have a clear line of site through all of the tower metal, so I was concerned about signal strength. Also the tower legs are wider than the 6332 stock mount, so some sort of modification would be required and finally, as I mentioned before, lightning is intense here and I wanted to keep all cable runs as short as possible. So, climb I will!  :roll:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »
Is this you? Seems like you are in a "hot spot"! :shock: You are running 2 F lower than the acurite next door. This I find to be "normal". My acurite 5in1 runs 2 F over also.

https://english.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLPALMB6
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:41:36 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
Is this you? Seems like you are in a "hot spot"! :shock: You are running 2 F lower than the acurite next door. This I find to be "normal". My acurite 5in1 runs 2 F over also.

https://english.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLPALMB6

That's not him. If you look at the PWS info it says the station is a FARS. His is not. I bet everyone here wishes they could all somehow find a way to put their anemometer as high as you have yours. Well done!
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »

That's not him. If you look at the PWS info it says the station is a FARS. His is not. I bet everyone here wishes they could all somehow find a way to put their anemometer as high as you have yours. Well done!

Not just that high, my anemometer is technically speaking also 10m above the ground because I have it on a pole on the roof and my house is about 8m high, the problem is obviously that I live in a large city and there are much higher buildings all around me... This setup seems to be really good and the concrete block at the bottom is IMHO going to have absolutely negligible effect.

Offline DA270

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »

No, my station is not online yet.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
You will have to change the battery in the 6332 wireless anemometer transmitter kit.
Not saying this isn't true, however the battery in my ISS is almost 10 years old, and the one in the anny is about 4, both original.

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 08:43:58 PM »
I've seen those type of towers that have hinges on them so you can lower them very easily. But very pricey.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:19 PM »
Congrats, impressive, heck of great install.  What is the height of the ISS?  Looks a lot taller than the recommended 5-6'?  Any reason for that or is it camera angle?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:35:24 PM by DC »

Offline DA270

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 06:56:01 AM »
Congrats, impressive, heck of great install.  What is the height of the ISS?  Looks a lot taller than the recommended 5-6'?  Any reason for that or is it camera angle?

Thank you! The ISS is at 2m.

anything