Author Topic: WooHoo!  (Read 2646 times)

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
WooHoo!
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
Got my new VP2+ and getting it ready to replace my Davis Vue.

The new VP2+ has a revised raingauge and it's BIG. Other than re-attaching the solar panel, installing the battery, and attaching everything to the pole, it's ready to go.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: WooHoo!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:22:15 PM »
Enjoy Steve!!

:grin:
Tony

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
Steve,

You just got great equipment--a VP2+ with 24hour FARS! Congratulations. Too bad--Davis just announced a VP3 that will begin selling April 1, 2017. The VP3 has a color console that can communicate to your computer using Bluetooth technology, an 8 inch rain collector, an enhanced heater in the rain collector and an easily swappable (i.e., plug-in) Super Cap!

Ok. I lied. No VP3 yet and my guess is the replacement to the VP2, if ever issued by Davis, will not be called a VP3 rather something different like "Super X by Davis." Until then, we just keep the Davis line a chugging, irrespective of its faults and idiosyncrasies! It is still the best product out there for the non-professional like most of us that post in this Forum!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:46:00 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »
Congrats! I always follow your weather station data online so I like the fact that your VP2 is also a 24 HR FARS like mine is, much more accurate. Are you already sending your VP2 data to the internet?
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »

Congratulations Steve,
Whether it is called VP2 or something else, it is big and new and looks like the newest Davis features with all the bells and whistles =D>

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
The new VP2+ has a revised raingauge and it's BIG.

FWIW, I ordered the new revised raingauge which is scheduled to arrive today. Perhaps it will give more accurate readings.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Looks so cool.  8-)
This is the first good photo of the new funnel actually installed and not just by itself.
Congrats.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
Congrats! I always follow your weather station data online so I like the fact that your VP2 is also a 24 HR FARS like mine is, much more accurate. Are you already sending your VP2 data to the internet?
Not yet.  Right now both stations are operating, the Vue still sending to the Vue console and the new one to the new console. I have a busy weekend and not sure I'll have time to switch it all over until later Sunday.

But it's on the pole and working! :-) Notice the new style rainbucket.

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
Steve,

You just got great equipment--a VP2+ with 24hour FARS! Congratulations. Too bad--Davis just announced a VP3 that will begin selling April 1, 2017. The VP3 has a color console that can communicate to your computer using Bluetooth technology, an 8 inch rain collector, an enhanced heater in the rain collector and an easily swappable (i.e., plug-in) Super Cap!

Ok. I lied. No VP3 yet and my guess is the replacement to the VP2, if ever issued by Davis, will not be called a VP3 rather something different like "Super X by Davis." Until then, we just keep the Davis line a chugging, irrespective of its faults and idiosyncrasies! It is still the best product out there for the non-professional like most of us that post in this Forum!

:mad: :mad: My heart skipped a beat when I read the first paragraph. ........ then I read the second one.....You should save this kind of post for April 1st..............

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »
The plan is to move the anemometer to the roof soon.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 07:50:54 PM »
Steve,

Let's see if a new model is available before I retire

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
:mad: :mad: My heart skipped a beat when I read the first paragraph. ........ then I read the second one.....You should save this kind of post for April 1st..............
Ha, you ain't the only one! Ron is Davis's "thorn in the evolution side". Not saying it's not "necessary", but for me personally, the only thing an upgrade would do for me would be an SHT35, and that's merely gravy.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »
The new VP2+ has a revised raingauge and it's BIG.

FWIW, I ordered the new revised raingauge which is scheduled to arrive today. Perhaps it will give more accurate readings.

My new-design aerocone came in today. I like the fact that the debris screen comes with a lock so don't have to worry about it whipping out, especially now that I put a spike in it. All secure. Dacula, you have a perfect setup for your radiation shield. I will be interested to see how your readings compare to mine. My sensors are at about 5'5 and a good ways away from any obstructions. BTW, is this your first VP2? If so, you will love it.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
Ha, you ain't the only one! Ron is Davis's "thorn in the evolution side". Not saying it's not "necessary", but for me personally, the only thing an upgrade would do for me would be an SHT35, and that's merely gravy.

Yes, I probably am banned from talking to Davis support! But Jim, you were the one that has been advocating an 8 inch rain collector, so I include it in my VP3 wish list! That way you wouldn't have to use your RainWise 111! By the way, is there really a SHT 35 or are you wishing the SHT31 would evolve into such a sensor?   
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »

Yes, I probably am banned from talking to Davis support! But Jim, you were the one that has been advocating an 8 inch rain collector, so I include it in my VP3 wish list! That way you wouldn't have to use your RainWise 111! By the way, is there really a SHT 35 or are you wishing the SHT31 would evolve into such a sensor?
A tipper is only as good as its levelness and support. I chose the RW because I was able to achieve both remotely, unlike my VP2. As far as 8", that's a nicety, as I think it would fair better in heavier downpours.
SHT35? Now you're trolling....https://www.sensirion.com/products/humidity-sensors/digital-humidity-sensors-for-various-applications/

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »
So, I went ahead and bought the updated rain cone as well; however I'm guessing if I use the spikes I will probably need to move the solar/uv sensors from it's position at the back of the sensor array to the front to keep the spikes from occluding the sun.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »
I left off the spikes in the three closest holes to the sensors, hopefully that will be enough. but there is a spike directly in the center of the rainbucket now, so no nests in the bucket!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »

A tipper is only as good as its levelness and support. I chose the RW because I was able to achieve both remotely, unlike my VP2.

I can verify this I just calibrated a couple 8" Rainwise units at home and once field mounted ran calibration again and was off (.04 and .06). So repeated calibration. TBRG is sensitive to being level and solidly mounted which isn't possible with current Davis design.... Correction unless stand alone.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:19:37 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »
Which: LATE Christmas or EARLY Easter Bunny?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 05:22:30 AM »
Which: LATE Christmas or EARLY Easter Bunny?
Both... :-)

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 05:29:57 AM »
Now my challenge is moving all of my data on my webpage from VWS to WD.
Not sure what happened... I updated WD to the latest version and I started having issues with VWS not being able to communicate to VVP, I kept getting socket errors.

I finally quit trying to load VWS (WD was loading fine) and things got better, but then WD acted up. I also had to change the VVP connection for WD from the local 127.0.0.1 IP address to the "real" IP before it wanted to work correctly. Go figure...

So now I have to change all of my AJAX code to look at the WD values instead of VWS. I'm sure I'll discover more things and places to update as I go through everything... what a pain.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »

only time will tell i guess. you'd need both old and new style Buckets in the same location to take readings.

Davis seem to thing in high winds it makes a difference: quote from weatherspares uk....

New 2017 Davis AeroCone Rain Bucket with Anti-bird spikes and locking debris screen.
Available now - this greatly improved Rain Bucket confirmed as suitable for the Davis Weather Wizard, Weather Monitor, Vantage Pro and Pro2 range of weather stations.

Introducing the new Davis 6461 AeroCone a new and and improved version the Davis 7345.527.  The AeroCone rain collector cone reduces wind-induced errors by providing a more aerodynamic path around the collector. Its contours are designed to streamline the airflow and reduce flow distortions. The design improves rain data accuracy in high wind situations where the horizontal wind velocity can cause under reporting.

The enhanced design features don’t stop with the outer shape: the inside of the rain collector is equally well designed, keeping intact the carefully engineered interior walls that reduce splash out during high rain conditions. The new debris screen locks into place, ensuring that it remains in place during high winds and heavy rainfall events.

The AeroCone is backward compatible with all Vantage Pro2 sensor suites as well as stand-alone rain collectors.

Replacement rain collector cone for all Vantage Pro or Vantage Pro2 rain collectors.

The AeroCone Features include:The AeroCone is 100% compatible with all pro2 units regardless of age or configuration which specifically includes
:
Sensor Suites:Stand alone Rain Buckets:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:54:21 AM by Toxic »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 08:38:42 AM »
Got my new VP2+ and getting it ready to replace my Davis Vue.

The new VP2+ has a revised raingauge and it's BIG. Other than re-attaching the solar panel, installing the battery, and attaching everything to the pole, it's ready to go.
Good for you, dude!!!!!!!!   :)  That is a *nice* rig you've got there.  I'm really liking the new rain bucket.  Do the work well with a regular VP2?
Congratulations on the new toy, er, uh....tool!!!!!   ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »
Now my challenge is moving all of my data on my webpage from VWS to WD.
Not sure what happened... I updated WD to the latest version and I started having issues with VWS not being able to communicate to VVP, I kept getting socket errors.

I finally quit trying to load VWS (WD was loading fine) and things got better, but then WD acted up. I also had to change the VVP connection for WD from the local 127.0.0.1 IP address to the "real" IP before it wanted to work correctly. Go figure...

So now I have to change all of my AJAX code to look at the WD values instead of VWS. I'm sure I'll discover more things and places to update as I go through everything... what a pain.

Can you throw up a stock Saratoga Template main page while you change all the tags Steve?
Tony

anything