Author Topic: Some questions before I make the plunge  (Read 1260 times)

Offline jcclow

Some questions before I make the plunge
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
Hello Everyone!

My name is Jeremy and I'm a complete newb. I have forever been enamored by lightning, of course thunder and awesome storms. I've had some pretty good luck capturing lightning shots from my apartment balcony, but have recently wanted to branch out and start chasing storms for my photos. I Googled "storm chasing Android" and came across the Blitzortung.org app for my phone and started reading their website and forums, which led me here. I've read the build pages from SaratogaWX, W3DRM, Miraculon and sbuckler (thank you all for the excellent information) and I am very interested in participating in the Blitzortung network.

I have a few questions before I make the plunge though...
  • Why did you choose the antenna that you went with? I live in an apartment and have a good sized balcony that I could put a loop antenna on, but the ferrite rods would be way more convenient.
  • That being said, would one type be better at interference reduction than the the other. I can take care of interference emanating from my apt, but I'm concerned with those around me.
  • Finally, I notice most of you have homes...should I even consider this living in an apt?

Ok, that should cover my initial questions...back to the forum to continue reading.

Thanks!

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
Re: Some questions before I make the plunge
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »
Hello Everyone!

My name is Jeremy and I'm a complete newb. I have forever been enamored by lightning, of course thunder and awesome storms. I've had some pretty good luck capturing lightning shots from my apartment balcony, but have recently wanted to branch out and start chasing storms for my photos. I Googled "storm chasing Android" and came across the Blitzortung.org app for my phone and started reading their website and forums, which led me here. I've read the build pages from SaratogaWX, W3DRM, Miraculon and sbuckler (thank you all for the excellent information) and I am very interested in participating in the Blitzortung network.

I have a few questions before I make the plunge though...
  • Why did you choose the antenna that you went with? I live in an apartment and have a good sized balcony that I could put a loop antenna on, but the ferrite rods would be way more convenient.
  • That being said, would one type be better at interference reduction than the the other. I can take care of interference emanating from my apt, but I'm concerned with those around me.
  • Finally, I notice most of you have homes...should I even consider this living in an apt?

Ok, that should cover my initial questions...back to the forum to continue reading.

Thanks!

Here's my $0.02, and others can chime in, as well...

1) I went with both H- and E-field.  Initially, I was going to go only with E-field, but discussions here informed me that the eventual intent was to have H-field for greater distance, and E-field for close-in and polarity sensing.

The E-field antenna is, itself, quite short: 1 foot of #14 wire is more than sufficient.  Additionally, the E- and H-field amps are very similar in design and build.  With Don's H-field ferrite design, neither sensing system is hard to build.

The biggest issue with E-field is that VLF/LF E-field sensing can be problematic inside and around substantial structures and foliage.  I haven't run into many problems with it, though, even with my system temporarily mounted entirely inside and in the shadow of some tall trees, and I think others have made use of balconies, etc.

2) H- and E-field interference modes can be similar, but they can also be very separate.  Mike can relate the adventures he's had resolving both (he has quite a bit more of one than the other).  At VLF, an awful lot is classified as near field, meaning interfering signals can quite possibly be one, the other, or both.  Every site, and every interference source, is different.

3) Yes :)  My station is currently located inside (temporarily), first floor of a 2-story home, ungrounded with a very generic USB power supply, and maybe 6 feet from the mains input, power meter, cable/FIOS input, and breaker panel for my house.  Not 10 feet away is a radon remediation motor that runs 24/7, and a refrigerator and other kitchen appliances are within 15 feet.  Even so, I have very good results.  The biggest single problem I have is household dimmers (I really wish manufacturers would get serious with residential sine wave dimming).

I'm planning on relocating it to my attic with a proper double-regulated linear power supply and low-impedance grounding, in an attempt to solve some low level noise issues, but the point is, it's a very well designed system and many (most?) dwellings will have places to locate the station that are more than adequate.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:25:32 PM by n0ym »

Offline jcclow

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »

Here's my $0.02, and others can chime in, as well...

1) I went with both H- and E-field.  Initially, I was going to go only with E-field, but discussions here informed me that the eventual intent was to have H-field for greater distance, and E-field for close-in and polarity sensing.

The E-field antenna is, itself, quite short: 1 foot of #14 wire is more than sufficient.  Additionally, the E- and H-field amps are very similar in design and build.  With Don's H-field ferrite design, neither sensing system is hard to build.

The biggest issue with E-field is that VLF/LF E-field sensing can be problematic inside and around substantial structures and foliage.  I haven't run into many problems with it, though, even with my system temporarily mounted entirely inside and in the shadow of some tall trees, and I think others have made use of balconies, etc.

2) H- and E-field interference modes can be similar, but they can also be very separate.  Mike can relate the adventures he's had resolving both (he has quite a bit more of one than the other).  At VLF, an awful lot is classified as near field, meaning interfering signals can quite possibly be one, the other, or both.  Every site, and every interference source, is different.

3) Yes :)  My station is currently located inside (temporarily), first floor of a 2-story home, ungrounded with a very generic USB power supply, and maybe 6 feet from the mains input, power meter, cable/FIOS input, and breaker panel for my house.  Not 10 feet away is a radon remediation motor that runs 24/7, and a refrigerator and other kitchen appliances are within 15 feet.  Even so, I have very good results.  The biggest single problem I have is household dimmers (I really wish manufacturers would get serious with residential sine wave dimming).

I'm planning on relocating it to my attic with a proper double-regulated linear power supply and low-impedance grounding, in an attempt to solve some low level noise issues, but the point is, it's a very well designed system and many (most?) dwellings will have places to locate the station that are more than adequate.

Hey n0ym...thanks for your reply. I actually meant to post a question about using both an E field and H Field antenna but forgot. If I want to go both ways, I obviously need to purchase two amps (one for each type of antenna), but will I also need two pre-amps and two controllers?

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 02:46:06 PM »
Nope - one controller is designed to handle two amplifiers, and automatically distinguishes between the types.  The pre-amp is ONLY for E-field sensing, as it's actually more of an impedance match between the capacitive E-field probe and the E-field amplifier.  On H-field, no pre-amp is needed.  Obviously, the E-field amplifier and H-field amplifiers are slightly different, and specific to the field in question.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:49:24 PM by n0ym »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
Whatever, better get your order in before July 7th!

Offline jcclow

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »

I'm waiting to hear back from Egon. I've sent my info twice in the last two days.

Offline jcclow

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »

I'm waiting to hear back from Egon. I've sent my info twice in the last two days.

Of course i just checked my email and there it was.