Author Topic: Plastic type  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Plastic type
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of plastic the ISS back housing is made of for the  VP2 back housing.

I am thinking of taking the repaired ISS and the housing and taking off the mounting tab on the back and cementing it to a 8x8x1 plastic backing, drilling 4 mounting holes in that plastic to mount to a pipe and use it for another sensor outside .

I replaced the ISS  last year when the supercap went belly up.  In the meantime I purchased from Archer a new board and it came mounted to a new back housing.  I have been using it for an additional transmitter for the crawl space temperature probe.   I would rather use it better as for the passive sensor I have outside, making it more solar.  I have the extra  ISS cover that I replaced as well when I went from the daylight FARS to the 24.

Anyway,  If I know  the type of plastic the back housing is, then I can match the plastic and the proper cement.  There is little room to drill through the back housing to mount to any plastic, just some room below the terminal strip. anything else  would short the board.

Awaiting with baited breath

Offline linuxfreak

• Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
Re: Plastic type
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
It ain't PVC, just tried my spare door with some solvent cement with MEK, Cyclohexanone, Tetrahydrofuran and Acetone, all it did was clean the dirt off it! #-o  My vote is either HDPE or UHMW, I know it is heat fusible because of the support bracket for the solar panel is fastened that way, if it either of those or Polypropylene (rain cone  ;) ), you gonna have a 'fun' time getting any glue to stick. ;) ](*,)

If you use counter sunk stainless steel fasteners or nylon from the inside going out, you should be good to go, cut a piece of PET from a 2 liter pop bottle and place it under the ISS board as an insulator if you're worried. ;)

George

George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
If I could get just the shelter with the solar panel door, that would be great, just transfer the whole thing over and be done with it.  I also could go with plan B.

Get a bunch of those nylon wire ties and just strap the whole thing to a pole and be done with it, of course for the occasional having to go out and change a battery or something, might be the answer.

I looked at ASA plastic sheets, and that might work, but I agree if it isn't pvc,  I'd have to go with some expensive industrial adhesive and  that is a bit over kill

Offline linuxfreak

• Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »
Construction adhesive?  PL Premium comes to mind, needs humidity to set and sets up rock hard, used it to anchor my tie down bolts for the bottom sill for my porch renovation, if it holds them......  :-k  Any polyurethane flexible adhesive might be better, thinking the stuff used to put in windshields. ;) That stuff is impossible to get off once set, needed an "air knife" to cut it.

George

George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
I checked a couple of my Davis manuals, and the housing is made of ' UV-resistant PVC '. I have used this stuff called " Duco Cement " part # 62435 on some Davis repairs and it seems to work pretty good. I got that from a local Ace Hardware, about $3 for a 1oz tube. It may be worth a try.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

anything