Author Topic: Two photos from my place this season  (Read 13979 times)

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
    • Μeteo station Peristeri Athens - Greece
Two photos from my place this season
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »

Best regards from Greece
Dimitris
http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/index.html

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: Two photos from my place this season
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 08:22:23 AM »
Beautiful.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:47:09 AM »
Thank you Anthony
Best regards from Greece
Dimitris

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »
Looks like a nice place to sit and relax Dimitris.   8-)

I've threatened to build a little pond like that with running water and put some fish in it but never got around to it yet.  We even have the water pump and a fountain that looks like a fish.  I just need to start digging.  One of these days maybe I'll get to it.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:32:49 PM »
If your gonna dig, go BIG! Mine started out as a 4'x4' hole. Nice place to sit and relax 1967.

Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:30:21 AM »
WOW!  Very nice.  I am about to start one myself, probably a bit longer than yours but about the same width.  It won't be lined and will be fed on one end by my irrigarion ditch water, with an overflow on the other end.  My ducks and geese need a place to play LOL!  I can only hope it ends up looking as nice as yours.  Thanks for the pics!
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »
Prvrt congratulations ,very nice and big lake ,you are do a great job there  =D>
Mark ,thank you ,your occupation is farmer ??
Best regards from Greece
Dimitris

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:50:42 PM »
Mark ,thank you ,your occupation is farmer ??

No, actually I'm an electronic technician and just do a little gardening.  Here's a picture of my small vegetable garden from July 8th. last year:

I did spend much of my summer afternoons as a kid helping my grandparents on a very small farm and have a lot of fond memories from it.  They sold the farm back around 1982 due to their age.  Always wished at the time I was older (I was middle teens then) and maybe could have bought it from them to keep it in the family.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 10:56:06 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »
Ok Mark i understand,you will have great memorys from the farmer at your grandparents.I like your country ,you have a big country,and very green there.
I see at your photos the corn,and i put some tomatoes,pepers and corn the summer time here.Because at your web site i will saw some tractors i thought maybe you are farmer  :-)  #-o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:57:56 AM by weather1967 »
Best regards from Greece
Dimitris

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »
I see at your photos the corn,and i put some tomatoes,pepers and corn the summer time here.Because at your web site i will saw some tractors i thought maybe you are farmer  :-)  #-o

In the picture from left to right is onions, carrots, peas, cantaloupe (muskmelon), green beans, one tomato plant behind the green beans, then the corn (variety is Silver Queen white corn).  I seem to have a lot of problems with corn smut (fungus growth on the stalks and ears) when I plant Silver Queen.  I planted another variety a couple of years ago that was yellow corn or a mixture that did not suffer from the smut infection nearly as much.  So I think I will switch back to it (if I can remember what it was  :-k) the next time I plant corn.

I thought it might have been the tractor photos that made you wonder if I was a farmer.   :lol:

A neighbor that done the field work for my grandparents had a John Deere 2 cylinder from the 1950's that he used most of the time.  As I recall it was a diesel model that used a small gasoline "pony" engine to start it.  I loved being around that old tractor listening to the put-put-put as it was under load working around the farm.  That's where my interest in tractors started.  Also the reason I would like to  move out of the city to the country someday so I would have room to have a couple of tractors to play with.  Until then I just ride my little John Deere (pictured below) mowing the lawn and pretend it's a real farm tractor.   ;)  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:27:49 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
Very nice Mark,you have a beautiful garden there,i see you have an automatic rain for it ,very nice .This is my grass machine is very small offcaurse from yours  :lol:  :grin:
The motor is made in USA  BringeandStratton.Very good motor still i have the old machine  10 years and the motor work fine yet ,but the iron broken and i buy new machine grass.
Mark one question how much money cost your big machine grass ?? here to Greece it machine it have 2.600 Euro about 4.000 American Dollars.I beleive at USA this machine it will more cheap from here. UU

Best regards from Greece
Dimitris

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »
Mark one question how much money cost your big machine grass ?? here to Greece it machine it have 2.600 Euro about 4.000 American Dollars.I beleive at USA this machine it will more cheap from here. UU..

I paid a little over $2,000 dollars US for mine (model LT150 38" width cut ) in 2002.  It was a little heavier duty and has a hydraulic transmission (no gear shifting) which made it a little more expensive than the basic model.  Here's a link to John Deere's website and their current models:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=SKG20444&tM=HO&link=enav

Briggs & Stratton is an old company.  I've always preferred them for my lawnmowers.  They have a nice website if you ever need to look up manuals or part numbers for it:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/corp/feature/anniversary.aspx
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:37:28 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »
Mark, I have the LA120 that I bought from Home Depot a while ago and it's been running great. How do you rate that mower? It was a pretty good price (1500) at the time and had pretty good reviews so I couldn't pass it up. I cut out my lawn service guy to save some cash and so far it's paying off. The reason I went with a Deere was because my old man bought a rider with the Kawasaki engine in it 25 years ago and that thing is still running as of today. I know Briggs used to have their problems (Snapper mowers) but I'm sure they have improved.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:35:04 PM »
..How do you rate that mower? ..

I'd say pretty much the modern day equivalent to what I have.  I only have a 15 hp. Kohler single cylinder in mine so you have a stronger/smoother running engine for one thing.  Some say the steel is a little lighter gauge though.  They both would be less rugged than what your father's old model would be.  That question is a hot button topic in the OPE forums about the durability of the lower end models.  There's always the Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki engine debate along with the hydro versus gear transmission debate that gets some fired up in the forums too.  I think really what it comes down to though is as long as you keep it cleaned (especially the cooling fins on the transmission and engine), do the routine maintenance (lube, filters, and oil), and don't abuse it trying to do the work of a larger garden tractor on a regular basis, you should get many years out of it.   ;)

Here's the part lookup site for John Deere many people do not know about:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Mark 

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 02:23:39 AM »
Thanks again Mark,you give me  very great links ,i see 1500 dollars grass machine modell LA-105  :shock: :shock: very cheap price ,here to Greece all is more expensive  :-( .Have a nice day.
Best regards from Greece
Dimitris

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 11:40:33 PM »
Mark,

Your LT looks almost new!  I got a LTR180 almost 8 years ago, its the one with the rear bagger that bottom-dumps; not for everyone.  It has been nice, I love the hydro drive. 

Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »
Damn Mark how do you keep your's so clean? It looks brand new.
I'm not too high on BS engines. I bought a Troy Built from Lowes 3 years ago. 6 months after the warranty went out it started burning oil.
Before that I had a Kohler engine and you couldn't kill that thing if you tried. The only reason I bought a new one was because the old tractor was falling apart.
On the other hand, I'm all for buying American, but Honda makes a great engine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 02:11:54 PM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »
Mark,

Your LT looks almost new!  ....

Damn Mark how do you keep your's so clean? It looks brand new....

I gotta level with you guys, that picture was taken back in September 2004 with I'm guessing about 70-80 hrs on the clock.  It has a few more scratches on the mower deck and trailer hitch now with the better part of 200 hrs. on it.   ;)

I still wash and wax it once a year and coat the underside of the mower deck with silicone or WD40.  I've also been known to use tire shine on the wheels once in while too.   :oops:

It's been a good one so far with no major repairs.  I've replaced the mower deck belt once while under warranty for a crack, new battery last year, and fuel line that was starting to surface crack and that's it.  Since the photo was taken I added a front bumper and small lamps at the back above the hitch plate and on each side under the foot rest to make it a little easier to see on those hot summer nights when I wait to dusk before starting to mow.

Oh, I also added this exhaust extension last year to keep the inside of the right front wheel from turning black from soot.  It's made from chrome sink trap pipe.  So far the chrome is holding up surprisingly well to the heat with no bluing of it yet anyway.  If it weren't for the close proximity of the steering tie rods, tire, composite hood and lack of a welder I would have a chrome vertical stack on it by now.   :lol:

Mark 

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »
You may want to check your lawn mower insurance to make sure those modifications are covered as well.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
You may want to check your lawn mower insurance to make sure those modifications are covered as well.

What insurance?   ;)

Too be safe as possible I did fuse the additional lights and added relay that controls them off the original light circuit.  They also run through the original main fusible link with the other electrical circuits off the battery.  One thing for sure, I did not want to light up the garage some night when I was not around.   :shock:

A fellow I talk to in another forum had to replace the entire wiring harness on his LT150 he bought used.  He'd cleaned out a mouse nest up under the engine shroud he found and all seemed well.  But then he washed it, drove it around the yard a bit and shut it down in the barn when the smoke started to roll from under the hood until the main fusible link burned open.  The only thing we and the dealer he bought the replacement harness from can figure is that maybe the mice must have chewed it somewhere out of sight or there was a rubbed spot and the added moisture shorted it all out.  There's one spot in particular on these the uncovered harness lays against the engine that bugged me in the design.  I was afraid with the vibration that would be a good spot to develop a short down the road.  So I slit open a short section of heater hose to act as the cushion against the engine and frame back the first week I owned the mower.  I liable to have voided any insurance claims just doing that.   #-o

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:03:55 AM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

anything