Author Topic: Zodiacal Sunrise.  (Read 2251 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Zodiacal Sunrise.
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Here in Chiang Mai the rainy season is taking a break and we had perfectly clear skies this morning. This provided an opportunity for a Zodiacal light pre-dawn display. Stunning rays of dim light stretching the whole sky east to west but I believe too dim to catch on my camera. I've always read about this phenomenon but never noticed one until this AM.
I found this explaining what I was watching http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/09/100909-science-space-zodiacal-light-pyramid-skywatching/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:48:43 PM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Zodiacal Sunrise.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »
Here in Chiang Mai the rainy season is taking a break and we had perfectly clear skies this morning. This provided an opportunity for a Zodiacal light pre-dawn display. Stunning rays of dim light stretching the whole sky east to west but I believe too dim to catch on my camera. I've always read about this phenomenon but never noticed one until this AM.

If you have a clear sky, you should go out and see Jupiter.  It's almost as bright as Venus.  It's in the south sky after dusk.   The Moon is plenty bright, too.

Here are some links about it.   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »
Yeah, I've been catching glimpses of Jupiter between breaks in the clouds lately. If the sky stays as clear as it is now I might have to dust off my scope and take a closer look tonight. Right now Uranus is right next to Jupiter making it easier to find so that's a possibility to catch also. Not too often we get a break like this where the air has been "washed" from all the rain and then the clouds clear out of the way.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 02:37:08 AM »
The link in your first link that links to Starry Night Over Persia is quite a link.  :-P

What a picture!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:42:20 PM »
    If you have a good pair of binoculars and something to rest them on to steady them, you can watch 4 of Jupiters moons with binoculars.  It is interesting to see them change position.  They are Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.  It can become addicting to watch them, especially when one dissappears behind the body of Jupiter, or reappears out of the shadow of Jupiter.