Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20735 times)

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2018, 11:55:23 AM »
Thanks

Offline beamd

« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »
I wouldn't trust untill you had it sit through a good sunny day for several hours.  The false strikes do show up pretty much instantly in strong sun. VICTORIA any information on if acurite can take care of problems through email? Live chat is durring my work hours.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
Victoria and everyone else, I put my original Atlas sensor back up that Acurite fixed and I have the lightning detector installed. It has been in direct sunlight and it is around 1:30pm est and no false lightning strikes. The Atlas is working flawlessly at this point since I received it back from Acurite with the adjustments with the wiring with the fan. I just want to let everyone know that Acurite did fix it.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2018, 02:03:00 PM »
Victoria and everyone else, I put my original Atlas sensor back up that Acurite fixed and I have the lightning detector installed. It has been in direct sunlight and it is around 1:30pm est and no false lightning strikes. The Atlas is working flawlessly at this point since I received it back from Acurite with the adjustments with the wiring with the fan. I just want to let everyone know that Acurite did fix it.

Thank you for the update. Can you post pictures of the inside fix and so we can see how the wires are run? This is good news for the Atlas Elite coming out without issues. I hope it launches soon.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2018, 02:12:44 PM »

Thank you for the update. Can you post pictures of the inside fix and so we can see how the wires are run? This is good news for the Atlas Elite coming out without issues. I hope it launches soon.

Unfortunately, I am going to let someone else do that. I have it where I want it and really do not want to take it down again and open it up. I have taken the Atlas sensor down and put it back up a lot with the process of getting it fixed. Sorry.

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
It's great to hear that the fix applied by AcuRite has corrected the problem.  How long did it take them to fix and return your Atlas?  AcuRite received my unit for repair yesterday; I'm just wondering how long it might be until I have it returned to me.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
It's great to hear that the fix applied by AcuRite has corrected the problem.  How long did it take them to fix and return your Atlas?  AcuRite received my unit for repair yesterday; I'm just wondering how long it might be until I have it returned to me.

It may vary for each person because of where they may be located and situation with how quick Acurite gets the sensor back to the customer. I live in PA and Acurite is in Wisconsin as you know. So not that far from me. What I can tell you is that they received my original sensor on 10/22 and shipped it back to me on 10/26 after testing and fixing it. I received my original fixed sensor yesterday evening 10/30. I had to ship back the replacement sensor they sent me during this time as well.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »

It may vary for each person because of where they may be located and situation with how quick Acurite gets the sensor back to the customer. I live in PA and Acurite is in Wisconsin as you know. So not that far from me. What I can tell you is that they received my original sensor on 10/22 and shipped it back to me on 10/26 after testing and fixing it. I received my original fixed sensor yesterday evening 10/30. I had to ship back the replacement sensor they sent me during this time as well.

As Victoria mentioned earlier, they are expediting this particular issue.  In the past, the normal RMA/Testing/Repair cycle seemed to take a couple of weeks.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »
My third Atlas sensor was shipped Tuesday and I should have it here in Ohio by Friday.

I am guessing that the fix would be hard to access to take images? There is a wiring harness when you lift the rain bucket up but from the teardown images, the fan's wires are not that easy to get too.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
My third Atlas sensor was shipped Tuesday and I should have it here in Ohio by Friday.

I am guessing that the fix would be hard to access to take images? There is a wiring harness when you lift the rain bucket up but from the teardown images, the fan's wires are not that easy to get too.

Based on my beta disassembly, I'd say it's one of the more difficult places to reach. 

Maybe the motor noise issue is why the wires don't have a convenient socket and a difficult run.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »
I wouldn't trust untill you had it sit through a good sunny day for several hours.  The false strikes do show up pretty much instantly in strong sun. VICTORIA any information on if acurite can take care of problems through email? Live chat is durring my work hours.

I sent you an email address you can use in a PM. The Support team knows you'll be reaching out.

I'm glad you've got everything in good working order! Thanks for following up!

Offline Victoria

« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
Hi Victoria,

I should be the first customer to use atlas product from India and suffering from multiple issues,

1) False lightening strikes
2) Aspirating fan did not run
3) Lightening column did not appear in myacurite
4) Poor soldering broke wire from solar panel

How could I expect the RMA to be done for me here. You can see multiple cases reported under my name with your support team.
Really bought atlas with so much excitement but frustration is left. I was happy with the 5 in 1 weather station and I have bought 6 to 7 stations so far for our weather bloggers in India. Are you going to send one sensor for me to India?

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about all that trouble! This does a present a tricky situation considering your geographical location. I will reach out to our Support team and take a look at the case and situation, though it might take me a few days due to the weekend.

Even I'm working in product company and we do RMA for any location if we sold DEFECTIVE product. If support can not be provided in India, then Amazon should stop shipping acurite products to India.

Thanks for your patience on this. I discussed this with our Support team, and they are working on getting this sorted out for you. You should be hearing back from them today on your issue.

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
Hi Victoria,

I should be the first customer to use atlas product from India and suffering from multiple issues,

1) False lightening strikes
2) Aspirating fan did not run
3) Lightening column did not appear in myacurite
4) Poor soldering broke wire from solar panel

How could I expect the RMA to be done for me here. You can see multiple cases reported under my name with your support team.
Really bought atlas with so much excitement but frustration is left. I was happy with the 5 in 1 weather station and I have bought 6 to 7 stations so far for our weather bloggers in India. Are you going to send one sensor for me to India?

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about all that trouble! This does a present a tricky situation considering your geographical location. I will reach out to our Support team and take a look at the case and situation, though it might take me a few days due to the weekend.

Even I'm working in product company and we do RMA for any location if we sold DEFECTIVE product. If support can not be provided in India, then Amazon should stop shipping acurite products to India.

Thanks for your patience on this. I discussed this with our Support team, and they are working on getting this sorted out for you. You should be hearing back from them today on your issue.

Thanks Victoria. Eagerly waiting for the response.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »

I sent you an email address you can use in a PM. The Support team knows you'll be reaching out.

I'm glad you've got everything in good working order! Thanks for following up!

My Atlas continues to perform well with no false lightning strikes since putting it back up. It is in direct sunlight for the second day now since getting it back. I got up near the sensor yesterday to hear for the fan just for reassurance and the fan was on. Nothing indicated to me to check other than reassurance it was on, which I pretty much knew it was anyway because of spot on temps. Tomorrow they are forecasting thunderstorms, so I will see how the lightning detector works. It seemed to work fine before when the fan was not running and did record actual lightning strikes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:42:57 AM by Mirwin275 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »
As George said, there should be no issue with using lithium batteries.

So I am looking at 1 of 3 options: 
1. Order what is now "Used" from Amazon: 
But I wonder,  would those used units be eligible for the fix and future warranty claims if needed?   Seems you could get one at a pretty good price that way and just send it in for the fix when you get it.

2. Order today with "No Rush" shipping
As to stock turn over,  I am considering ordering new now  BUT use no rush shipping to "lock" in a price.  That would delay it another week in hopes of more turnover.  Just a thought.     

3. Order today and go for Faster shipping,  BUT ... Send it in after receiving it and trying it.
 Would AcuRite receive a unit for the fix if I had not verified it?  In other words,  if I ordered one and then just sent it in,  would AcuRite go over it to varify it had the fix?  I have to be out of town for 3 weeks in Nov so it really would not matter to me how long I waited,  I am looking at it from a price point of view. 

1. I believe that technically, used goods aren't traditionally eligible for warranty.

3. You would need to verify it first, but that would actually be pretty easy. In the outdoor device, put the lightning detector and batteries in, connect it to the display, then just hold the outdoor part up for a couple minutes in the sun or next to a light powerful enough to power the fan (make sure the fan is running). If you get interference or false strikes, you've got the issue, and if not, you should be fine to go mount it.

Victoria-

On the Amazon Atlas listing (full kit) it lists a seller "Happy Happy Shops" offering a new Atlas kit at nearly $400.

High price aside, are listings like these legit resellers where the warranty is honored?  Or is it like those on eBay they should be avoided?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Victoria

« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
Victoria-

On the Amazon Atlas listing (full kit) it lists a seller "Happy Happy Shops" offering a new Atlas kit at nearly $400.

High price aside, are listings like these legit resellers where the warranty is honored?  Or is it like those on eBay they should be avoided?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Something from a reseller like that would not be eligible for warranty, so I would avoid them if possible. After all, you're really only taking their word for that it's new anyway.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
I received my third Atlas sensor...this one with the lightning fix.

After a week, I have not had any false strikes. I also installed lithium batteries.

I did not want to jinx it and take any parts off to see what they did but I did notice the markings and the wires:

I still do not know if the UV is working correctly though. My first unit worked fine, the second only went to two. This one is only going to three while another unit I have and the local airport will report 5.

While it has been a royal pain dealing with this (three units in one month), their customer service did improve greatly compared my experience with the Access.

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
Was this listed as NEW or a warranty replacement you received?

I don't want anyone's returned/used  stuff.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
Was this listed as NEW or a warranty replacement you received?

I don't want anyone's returned/used  stuff.

I have no idea if this was a new unit or a return. I do not think I can tell. It was shipped from Acurite’s customer support. I hope they fixed the UV issue on the second unit I returned before they ship it back out.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:17:55 PM by MacGarage »
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #244 on: November 11, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
From the small glimpse of the red/white fan wires, they appear to be twisted now. This should be an effective fix.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline beamd

« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2018, 10:07:29 PM »
So where did you buy this one MacGarage?

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »
So where did you buy this one MacGarage?

I purchased mine from Amazon the day it was first available. I never returned the unit to Amazon and worked through AcuRite's customer support.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline opuntia

« Reply #247 on: November 15, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »
From the small glimpse of the red/white fan wires, they appear to be twisted now. This should be an effective fix.

Greg H.

Why are twisted wires an effective fix...or are you being sarcastic?  :grin: :grin:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #248 on: November 15, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »

Greg H.

Why are twisted wires an effective fix...or are you being sarcastic?  :grin: :grin:

Twisted pairs can effectively cancel out noise.  Twists are commonly found in telephone and Ethernet cables.  Generally speaking the more twists per foot, the better.

Offline opuntia

« Reply #249 on: November 15, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »

Greg H.

Twisted pairs can effectively cancel out noise.  Twists are commonly found in telephone and Ethernet cables.  Generally speaking the more twists per foot, the better.

Thanks and I should of googled it in the first place...I was lazy