Author Topic: [CLOSED] Alternative Dashboard Version 6.81 Released!  (Read 60095 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: Alternative Dashboard Version 6.80 Released!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
I noticed the "Wind Run" on the dashboard updates only on page refresh.. I couldn't find any setting allowing it to update via ajax....or did I miss it.

Wind Run doesn't use ajax because it's a testtags.php variable, not a clientraw.txt variable, and therefore doesn't update every few seconds.

There is a problem with distance conversions in ajaxWDwx.js however.  The current values in two locations make no sense and produce erroneous Wind Run conversion results.

Change
Code: [Select]
// distance miles and meters to km
   case "m"     : return (this / 1000);
   case "miles" : return (this / 1.150779450);
to
   case "miles" : return (this / 1.6);
and
Number.prototype.convertDist = function() { // km
   switch (uom.Dist) {
   default   : return (this * 1.0);
   }
};
to
   switch (uom.Dist) {
   case "miles" : return (this / 1.6);
   }
};
in order to obtain accurate Wind Run UOM conversion as seen on my site.  

There is one more suspicious '1.150779450' in ajaxWDwx.js in a mph conversion, but I couldn't find anything on my dashboard that was adversely affected by it.

As I'm sure most of you are aware, clicking on 'Refresh' after ajax times out only refreshes those values in clientraw.txt while doing nothing for the testtags.php values.  Refreshing those values requires a full page refresh in the browser.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:59:15 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
Thanks Jerry.
 Its been pretty windy here today.
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline BurnsvilleWeather

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
Re: Re: Re: Alternative Dashboard Version 6.80 Released!
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 09:45:47 PM »
Yes this is correct.  I had a lot of people ask to have the feels like removed when it was the same as the air temp.  If it's a problem for people I can make it optional.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Beside the cloud cover image missing I noticed that the feels like temperature is not showing. In the config file php here is my settings:

// Settings for Feels Like Section (***You can set one or the other or BOTH if you wish!!!)
$useFL     = true;            // Set to false if you do not want to show the "Feels Like" Temperature above the colored word under the Temperature
$useHC     = true;            // Set to true if you want to show Heat Index and Wind Chill here instead
$MWC       = '40';            // Set to 40 for F and 4.4 for C
$MHI       = '80';            // Set to 80 for F and 26.6 for C

Any suggestions?

Bob

I have the same but looking through the script I think the feel like has to be different from the actual by 2 degrees. It does appear when the wind picks up.
www.BurnsvilleWeatherLIVE.com (Formally Webster Weather LIVE)
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

Davis VP2 with, UV, Solar, Leaf, Web Cam.

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
Thats something I never thought of and something that will not work currently with the ajax updates.  Ajax has no way of knowing that you are allowing the metar to update the snow so it over-writes it with what it has.  For now you will have to go without the metar update (my site has the problem too, I asked for the change in WD and can't even use it).  I'll see if I can figure out some way to stop ajax from doing that.

Scott

Scott thanks!

One question, I'm using WD latest release to have METAR override for snow.

When page loads I get correct (nsn.jpg) image (its snowing here now, not sure for how long), but as soon as ajax updates its back to plain (nskc.jpg). What do I have wrong?

Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »
Great Scott! Can't wait to play with this.

Did you end up going the other direction for getting the WU records or will WD get them with this script?

I have the directions but haven't had the time to play with it yet.  Not sure it will work for me.  The script wasn't the issue though, it's just not coming in from WD.

Scott

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
I asked for the change in WD and can't even use it
?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »
I asked for the change in WD and can't even use it
Scott

Metar updates for Snow?? http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,57361.0.html

Looks like Brian did add it on Feb 11th.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:26 AM »
Hi Scott,

My preference is I would like to have it as an option to show the feels like temperature all the time. So I would be in favor of your option suggestion. As for the cloud base php I am going to move that to a separate post as I amthinking the issue is not with the alternate dashboard.

Thanks.

Bob
Yes this is correct.  I had a lot of people ask to have the feels like removed when it was the same as the air temp.  If it's a problem for people I can make it optional.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Beside the cloud cover image missing I noticed that the feels like temperature is not showing. In the config file php here is my settings:

// Settings for Feels Like Section (***You can set one or the other or BOTH if you wish!!!)
$useFL     = true;            // Set to false if you do not want to show the "Feels Like" Temperature above the colored word under the Temperature
$useHC     = true;            // Set to true if you want to show Heat Index and Wind Chill here instead

Any suggestions?

Bob

I have the same but looking through the script I think the feel like has to be different from the actual by 2 degrees. It does appear when the wind picks up.
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
Hi Scott,

What about the wind run difference. I see a correction posted but does this cover all wind run / wind issues in the dashboard.

Thanks.

Bob

Scott

Hi Scott,

Any suggestions?

Bob

Bob
KK4QXH

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »
Hi Scott,

What about the wind run difference. I see a correction posted but does this cover all wind run / wind issues in the dashboard.

Thanks.

Bob

Jumping back in here...
The correction I posted above is only for Distance UOM conversions, but it does require modification of your ajaxWDwx.js, so you need to be comfortable doing that.  Your Wind Run conversion will be correct if you make the divisor changes as I've posted above.  This change will only affect Wind Run, but I see no other issues with your wind UOM conversions on your site.  What other issues are you referring to?
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
Sorry but I was referring to the last or third number you indicated that you saw as the 1.15.... instead of 1.6. You said it had no impact on the wind run but wonder why it read the way it did. So that is what I meant.

I made the changes but now my wind run is much lower than before the change. I can send you my file if that would help. I have gone back to the previous v of the js. As mentioned I can send the copy of my js to look at. Before the change wind run on dashboard was 48 and on the steel gauges 52. Once I change the two lines the dashboard dropped to 25 miles. Let me know.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:15:53 PM by tnwxman »
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline ardsar

• Weather Plymouth
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
Sorry but I was referring to the last or third number you indicated that you saw as the 1.15.... instead of 1.6. You said it had no impact on the wind run but wonder why it read the way it did. So that is what I meant.

I made the changes but now my wind run is much lower than before the change. I can send you my file if that would help. I have gone back to the previous v of the js. As mentioned I can send the copy of my js to look at. Before the change wind run on dashboard was 48 and on the steel gauges 52. Once I change the two lines the dashboard dropped to 25 miles. Let me know.

Thanks for the help.

You are in the same situation as me your wind run is uploaded in miles therefore you want to disable conversion for Windrun. do a search in the script for "convDistance"  and remove the <span> and the </span>. (plus the bit between the two spans).

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »

Thanks for the help.
I would be much more interested in your testtags.php, particularly the $windrun variables with their UOM's.  Very curious what those values are.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
Do you want me to attach it to this thread? Here is something real interesting on my weather trends page the windrun lags a little behind the wind run I get on the steel gauges. The dashboard is way off.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:32:35 PM by tnwxman »
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline ardsar

• Weather Plymouth
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »
Do you want me to attach it to this thread? Here is something real interesting on my weather trends page the windrun lags a little behind the wind run I get on the steel gauges. The dashboard is way off.

Read post 37 above. When I applied this conversion correction my Windrun reduced just like yours. Disabling the unit conversion made the wind run value the same as on trends page.

I bet you are displaying Windrun in miles within WD?

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
I think I see the problem with Wind Run in the Ajax-Dashboard6 and in the convDist class here--there's no UOM attached in testtags.php.  I will try to find a solution over the next day or so. I'm busy this evening.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
I have a solution for Wind Run that is initially in miles.  It may work for a Wind Run that is initially in Km, but I'm unsure.  If it doesn't work for Wind Runs initially in Km, I will request that Brian attach a UOM to $windruntoday like he already does to $windruntodatethismonth and $windruntodatethisyear so that we may then work out a script that works for both metric and imperial initial UOM's.

Two areas need alteration in ajaxWDwx.js--the first is to change
to
   case "m"     : return (this * 1.6 / 1000);
   case "Km" : return (this * 1.6);
   case "miles" : return (this * 1);

The second is to change
   switch (uom.Dist) {
   }
};
to
   switch (uom.Dist) {
   case " miles" : return (this * 1);
   default   : return (this * 1.6);
   }
};

I'm not sure these changes will work in the ajax-dashboard6 display of Wind Run for a Wind Run that is reported in Km., so use at your own risk there.

You can view the results of these changes here.  The values in the Hi-Lo-Average script and ajax-dashboard6 now agree, and UOM switching works for Wind Run.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:51:13 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
That did it. Seems to be working correctly. Just curious why the two mile calculations? One has a space and one does not. Let me know. Thanks again.

I have a solution for Wind Run that is initially in miles.  It may work for a Wind Run that is initially in Km, but I'm unsure.  If it doesn't work for Wind Runs initially in Km, I will request that Brian attach a UOM to $windruntoday like he already does to $windruntodatethismonth and $windruntodatethisyear so that we may then work out a script that works for both metric and imperial initial UOM's.

Two areas need alteration in ajaxWDwx.js--the first is to change
to

The second is to change
   switch (uom.Dist) {
   }
};
to
   switch (uom.Dist) {
   default   : return (this * 1.6);
   }
};

I'm not sure these changes will work in the ajax-dashboard6 display of Wind Run for a Wind Run that is reported in Km., so use at your own risk there.

You can view the results of these changes here.  The values in the Hi-Lo-Average script and ajax-dashboard6 now agree, and UOM switching works for Wind Run.
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
Just revealing my ignorance and covering the bases, that's all.  The same gambit occurs elsewhere in ajaxWDwx.js, but not coded by me.  The ' miles' would allow for '22.0 miles' as a value initially read in by ajaxWDwx.js whereas 'miles' would misread this value.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »
OK just curious I do not know enough about php or java scripts to know so my curiosity got the best of me.

On  another note I believe you were the one with the addition of the all time record high wind gust. If so can you send me that code and where to place it in the script.

Many thanks.

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »
Hi Scott,

In the latest version of the alternate dashboard is the wet bub temperature driving the change from snow to rain icon? The air temperature can be above freezing and it can be snowing or sleet or ice pellets etc. The forecaster looks to the 0 C (32 F) wet bulb temperature to determine if precip close to the ground would be of a freezing nature. From the AFD in my area:

THUS, AM NOT LOOKING FOR A WET-BULB ISSUE WHEN PRECIP
BEGINS AND, AT THE MOMENT, IT LOOKS LIKE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO
ESCAPE ANY BRIEF PERIOD OF IP/ZR AT THE ONSET OF THIS PARTICULAR
EVENT. 

The air temperature will be above freezing but if there is more cloudiness and the air temperature does not go up as anticipated (still above freezing though) the corresponding wet bulb temperature will not respond accordingly (may remain at or below freezing) so the precip could be of a frozen nature.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »
OK just curious I do not know enough about php or java scripts to know so my curiosity got the best of me.

On  another note I believe you were the one with the addition of the all time record high wind gust. If so can you send me that code and where to place it in the script.

Many thanks.

Bob
Here is my Record Gust code in context:
                <td class="data1" nowrap="nowrap"><?php langtrans('Year Gust:'); ?></td>
                <td class="data1" nowrap="nowrap" style="font-size: 8px; text-align: right; ">
              <span class="convWind"><?php echo " " $yrecordwindgust $uomWind?></span>
              <?php echo 'on ' gust_month($yrecordhighgustmonth) . " " $yrecordhighgustday?></td>
              </tr>
              <tr>
                <td class="data1" nowrap="nowrap"><?php langtrans('Record Gust:'); ?></td>
                <td class="data1" nowrap="nowrap" style="font-size: 9px; text-align: right;">
  <span class="convWind"><?php echo " " $recordwindgust $uomWind?></span><br/>
  <?php echo 'on ' $recordhighgustmonth "/" $recordhighgustday "/" $recordhighgustyear?>
</td>
              </tr>
              <tr>
                <td class="data2" nowrap="nowrap"><?php langtrans('Wind Run'); ?>: </td>
                <td class="data2" nowrap="nowrap" style="text-align: right;">
  <span class="convDist"><?php echo $windruntoday " " $uomDistance?></span>
</td>
              </tr>

Bear in mind that this code contains UOM-switching classes for all three of the Wind Parameters displayed.  I see you are using Scott's 6.80 beta and it should work for you.  Others who are on earlier ajax-dashboard6 versions will find it doesn't work.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks. I am getting a strange reading so my guess is that this has something to do with WD. I just cut out the section for the record gust and placed that between year gust and wind run as you had it. Here is what I get.

Currently:    W at
8.1 mph
Gusting To:    5.8 mph
Max Gust:    26.0@  13:57
1Hr Average:    7.5 mph
Max Gust
This Month:    27.0 mph
on  Feb 18
Year Gust:    56.4 mph 1/30
Record Gust:    27.0 mph
on 2/19/2013
Wind Run:    131.04 miles

I went into the Alltime record setting for WD and updated the record gust, time and date. It took the new record but now is returning today's date even though I entered 3:37 on 01-30-2013.

Currently:    W at
3.0 mph
Gusting To:    6.9 mph
Max Gust:    26.0@  13:57
1Hr Average:    8.0 mph
Max Gust
This Month:    27.0 mph
on  Feb 18
Year Gust:    56.4 mph 1/30
Record Gust:    56.4 mph
on 2/19/2013
Wind Run:    132.41 miles

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:29:13 PM by tnwxman »
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
First verify that $recordwindgust is present in your texttags.php file.  I suspect it is, and I suspect the value you'll see there is the one above.  Try looking in a backup copy of wdisplay.ini, wdisplaybackup.ini, (create one as I describe below if you don't find it) for [Record high gust] and see what's there.  I suspect it's the value above.

You can change the record high values through the WD 'Action'-'Enter All Time Extreme Records' facility once you find your true Record Wind Gust.  The best place to do this might be 'View'-'Averages-Extremes/NOAA Reports'.  The Action-Enter All Time Extreme Records utility also provides for backing up wdisplay.ini because this is where these records are stored for display.  I've struggled with manually editing wdisplay.ini, and it's not at all easy.  This utility is great.

After you've entered the correct Record High Gust then do a manual 'Upload' (Control Panel-FTP & Connections METAR/NOAA-Web File Upload Av/Ext-Upload all now) of your FTP files to update texttags.php on your web site, and now it should be correct.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:50:44 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
You're going to have to manually edit wdisplay.ini to insert the correct date/time.  Shut down WD and use Notepad to edit it, NOTHING ELSE.  Even so much as an extra or missing LF at the end of this file will hang WD during loading.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com