Author Topic: Weather software problems  (Read 15951 times)

Offline kathy

Weather software problems
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:03:18 PM »
I have a Lacrosse WS2308, with Heavy Weather
To date, I have not got it to load info to my PC without essentially crashing it mid way(blue screen w/error message).  I have had some exchanges with lacrosse, but they say it's not a problem with the ws (course not :x )
I have downloaded the most recent drivers of heavy weather and the USB adapter that I had to wait a month just to get.  only suggestion was that a virus program was interfering.  I have disabled my Internet security and it still dumps on me.  
I confess I know very little about computers, so please make any suggestions in plain English.
I had a friend see if they could figure out if it was my PC or the ws/wh.  They did not see that it was a direct problem with PC.
I have more than lost my patients with this whole thing.    :x  :x   thanks so much in advance for any help.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Weather software problems
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »
Quote from: "kathy"
I have a Lacrosse WS2308, with Heavy Weather
To date, I have not got it to load info to my PC without essentially crashing it mid way(blue screen w/error message).  I have had some exchanges with lacrosse, but they say it's not a problem with the ws (course not :x )
I have downloaded the most recent drivers of heavy weather and the USB adapter that I had to wait a month just to get.  only suggestion was that a virus program was interfering.  I have disabled my Internet security and it still dumps on me.  
I confess I know very little about computers, so please make any suggestions in plain English.
I had a friend see if they could figure out if it was my PC or the ws/wh.  They did not see that it was a direct problem with PC.
I have more than lost my patients with this whole thing.    :x  :x   thanks so much in advance for any help.

Kathy,

You frustration is understandable. It has been my experience that very few of the USB serial adapters on the market are stable. Do you know which brand/model that they sent you?

It has been the experience of several Heavyweather users that the only adapters that appear to work correctly are based on the Prolific PL-2303 chipset (chipset are the integrated cicruits used in the adapter).

It is also possible that the operation system drivers that are used with the Prolific adapters are well written. It is impossible to determine really.

Here is the adapter I have been recommended to users:

IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812107906

Product Description at IOGear.com

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC232A&name=USB%20to%20Serial/PDA%20Converter%20Cable

If you do buy it, make sure you download the latest drivers here:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=dm&driver&Item=GUC232A

You can also join my software group to discuss issues with Heavyweather and uploading your data to websites:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/

Offline kathy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
wuhu_software,

Thank you for your response.  It gives me hope at least! :)

The adapter sent by Lacrosse is  SW-1301 from Sewell Direct.
I don't know if that tells you anything.  I will look into your suggestions and get back to you, with results.

thanks again

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »
wuhu_software,

Thank you for your response.  It gives me hope at least! :)

The adapter sent by Lacrosse is  SW-1301 from Sewell Direct.
I don't know if that tells you anything.  I will look into your suggestions and get back to you, with results.

thanks again

I poked around on their site. They stated that the adapter is based on the Prolific chip although they do not specify the PL-2303.

Here is the page for the product description:

http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp

Did you download the XP/2000 drivers on the page? You have to be careful because there are different links for the 98/Me although it is not obvious.

Here is a direct link to the XP/2000 driver setup:

http://sewelldirect.com/download/Drivers/SW-1301setup.zip

Try running the setup.exe contained within the zip file.

See if that helps.

BTW- How many minutes/hours can you run before you get the blue screen?

Thanks.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »
I have confirmed with Sewell tech. support that the SW-1301 does use the prolific chip set so that is a plus.

Whether or not the IOGear driver would work with the WS-1301, I am not sure, it might be worth a shot.

See the IO Driver download page for their driver.

Offline kathy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
Ok, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the SW-1301, again.
It did not help anything.

I also tried to use driver download for 10Gear, but did not work at all.

The length of time before I get blue screen seems to vary, from several seconds after the download begins to 1-2 minutes.

One thing I have forgot to mention, Lacrosse thought I had some virus program interfering, yet when I disabled those, it hasn't seemed to help.  I have Norton...........

Any other suggestions????

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »
Ok, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the SW-1301, again.
It did not help anything.

I also tried to use driver download for 10Gear, but did not work at all.

The length of time before I get blue screen seems to vary, from several seconds after the download begins to 1-2 minutes.

One thing I have forgot to mention, Lacrosse thought I had some virus program interfering, yet when I disabled those, it hasn't seemed to help.  I have Norton...........

Any other suggestions????

I am wondering if the IOGear driver would work since it is the same chipset.

You could try installing their driver and see if it works:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=dm&driver&Item=GUC232A

Short of that I would either:

1) Get the IOGear USB adapter. I know it works.

2) Install a real serial port in the machine. This is probably the prefered route but if you are not comfortable adding a PC board to the computer, that could get complicated.

Try the other driver and let me know if it works.

Thanks.

Offline kathy

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:17:58 PM »
this is my update:

So far, I have tried using the driver from 10Gear as you suggested.  Either I've done something wrong (each time I had downloaded it) or is just won't work for connection,

I have been in contact w/ Microsoft re Windows XP problems, theyfixed unrelated problems (so I could make sure I had the most current updates, etc.) and said they couldn't help me w/ weather station problem.
That I would need to try a forum. (funny, I thought that was what I was doing here).

I have again contacted Lacrosse and they claim its windows xp and all the update(grades?) they are doing.  When I tried to pin her down as to what could be done to resolve problem, "they are running tests and if they find a solution, I will be notified"

So short of buying the other adapter, & how do we know it will work w/ this weather station?,  any other ideas?

Thanks

Also on a slightly different problem, but potentially related, how do I get my email address changed here at forum.  You know, new provider, new email address................

thanks again

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »

Also on a slightly different problem, but potentially related, how do I get my email address changed here at forum.  You know, new provider, new email address................

Use the "Profile" button at the top of every page.  :wink:

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
this is my update:

So far, I have tried using the driver from 10Gear as you suggested.  Either I've done something wrong (each time I had downloaded it) or is just won't work for connection,

I have been in contact w/ Microsoft re Windows XP problems, theyfixed unrelated problems (so I could make sure I had the most current updates, etc.) and said they couldn't help me w/ weather station problem.
That I would need to try a forum. (funny, I thought that was what I was doing here).

I have again contacted Lacrosse and they claim its windows xp and all the update(grades?) they are doing.  When I tried to pin her down as to what could be done to resolve problem, "they are running tests and if they find a solution, I will be notified"

So short of buying the other adapter, & how do we know it will work w/ this weather station?,  any other ideas?

Thanks

thanks again

Kathy,

It seems that you are not the only person having a problem with that serial adapter. Another user is reporting the blue screen of death with the error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

http://www.sewellsupport.com/archives/usb-to-serial-com-port-assignment

Since Sewell believes that when you receive the magic Microsoft stamp of approval (aka Microsoft Certified), their driver can do no wrong, you are pretty much SOL. I have seen many certified drivers that are defective.

In the tech blog, Sewell points to a MS article about this error. Included in the list of possible causes is a "Buggy Driver".

My guess is that this Sewell USB adapter has a defective driver and that you will be trying to get help with it until you are blue in the face (no pun intended). You could also post on the Sewell tech blog to see if you can motivate them to address the problem but I would not count on that.

As I mentioned before, I would either get the IOGear adapter or a real serial port in order to correct.

Offline kathy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear I'm not only one with problems (she says sarcastically)

I have spent quite some hours these last 10 days dealing with this from my end, with Dell & Lacrosse.  Of late, Lacrosse is blaming Microsoft saying the windows xp media edition doesn't support serial drivers, (Or the adapters?), and that basically I am SOL !  

I guess I'm too ol' fashion still (or plain old), I expect things to work when I buy them, or to be fixed or replaced, not this continual run around.  

I will try IOGear but they will need to guarantee it works with my pc & windows ed. I have.  

Meanwhile, I appreciate your continued support.

(I'm looking for a "computer geek" that is in the current "know" and is free of works for very little.  Know of any?  I think my blood pressure's up again)

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »
I'm glad to hear I'm not only one with problems (she says sarcastically)

I have spent quite some hours these last 10 days dealing with this from my end, with Dell & Lacrosse.  Of late, Lacrosse is blaming Microsoft saying the windows xp media edition doesn't support serial drivers, (Or the adapters?), and that basically I am SOL !  

I guess I'm too ol' fashion still (or plain old), I expect things to work when I buy them, or to be fixed or replaced, not this continual run around.  

I will try IOGear but they will need to guarantee it works with my pc & windows ed. I have.  

Meanwhile, I appreciate your continued support.

(I'm looking for a "computer geek" that is in the current "know" and is free of works for very little.  Know of any?  I think my blood pressure's up again)

Kathy,

My guess is that the La Crosse people are way off on the serial issue. I do not think anyone would own media edition if it did not support hardware.

You should expect things to work however it is a Microsoft plug and pray world these days.

It is also good to have a computer geek friend especially when dealing with Windows.

Unfortunetly this type of error would be difficult for me to debug over the Internet, especially since you are getting the blue screen of death.

You would really need someone to be there at the keyboard to figure it out.

If you go with the IOGear, I am guessing you will not have this problem.

Offline kathy

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »
I am in the process of contacting IOGear regarding your recommendation.  I am a little gun shy at this point to just purchase another adapter, with out some assurances.  I hope you understand.

I unfortunately don't have a computer friend (geek) who can address my problem.  I did have a friend try  to trouble shoot from my computer, but they ran out of solutions, Ideas, after I think it was 2 1/2 hour :( .  I won't go so far as to say she is a geek, but has extensive knowledge & background....with computers..............

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 12:20:34 AM »
Kathy,

Sorry to hear that you do not have any computer geeks that you can call upon to help you out. The next best thing is to find a "Geek for hire". There should be plenty to choose from, depending on where you live. Even small towns have 1 or 2 running about. If that is't the case for your area, I suggest contacting the local high school and talk with someone in their computer department. I know they would have quite a few around there and they don't mow grass or rake leave these days, so they may be willing to help for a few bucks.   :)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 07:03:34 AM »

Allow me to decode:

"Our drivers suck and we don't know why."

Your IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem is almost always driver related. At this point I'd be looking to put a serial port card in the machine. They're cheap (you should be able to find one for less than $20)and you'll have less problems. This of course assumes we're talking desktop and not laptop (PCMCIA cards are available but are a little more expensive) and that you have an open slot available. if you aren't comfortable putting the card in yourself, the suggestion of checking with your local high school computer department is a good one.

Offline kathy

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 08:27:47 PM »
I just wanted to update you folks, if you are interested, my weather station is finally working, as far as loading to computer.  
I just hope I haven't jinxed it now.  

Thank you for the tip/info on the USB to serial adapter that actually works!
 :D   !!!

I don't understand why Lacrosse couldn't have sent the proper one (that works) instead of what was sent.

thanks again for all your help

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
I just wanted to update you folks, if you are interested, my weather station is finally working, as far as loading to computer.  
I just hope I haven't jinxed it now.  

Thank you for the tip/info on the USB to serial adapter that actually works!
 :D   !!!

I don't understand why Lacrosse couldn't have sent the proper one (that works) instead of what was sent.

thanks again for all your help

Glad to hear it!

anything