Author Topic: This ought to get some people going ;)  (Read 1949 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
This ought to get some people going ;)
« on: July 22, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »
I was reading BloomSky's blog today and chuckled when I read this (emphasis mine):

Most personal weather stations are bulky, unattractive, ‘whirly-bird-looking’ eyesores that users will often try to hide behind a house. The two-device approach turned out to be the answer as we sought a way to change the unflattering appearance of the typical PWS. The last 18 months of research and prototyping has given us time to come up with a wind sensor that our community will be proud to have on a roof or on display in their yard. In addition to the maintaining a high standard of design for the BloomSky station, providing two separate devices allows users to buy the sensors they want, thereby keeping the price down for the basic elements of a weather station.

http://weatherlution.com/bloomsky-storm-unveiled/

I can just hear the hackles rise! 

Anyway, I enjoy looking at concept sketches.  They usually aren't practical, but they do get you thinking about other ways to do things.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:41:31 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: This out to get some people going ;)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »
That is funny, I agree that there are "certain" stations that look like a bird...

but the problem is that there are several things that BS reminds me of too :D

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
Re: This out to get some people going ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
My neighbor said my Vue looks like a space ship.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: This ought to get some people going ;)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:58:48 PM »
You forgot this one:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
Spot on - a cyclope golf ball :D

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
This trend towards "arty" and "aesthetic" designs seems to put functionality in the back seat. Particularly, despite their "whirlybird" comment, the buried anemometer cups and vane are probably subject to all kinds of airflow problems. Sure they look "cool" (maybe), but it seems that accuracy is taking a back seat.

I'll stick with my  ‘whirly-bird-looking’ eyesores...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
This trend towards "arty" and "aesthetic" designs seems to put functionality in the back seat. Particularly, despite their "whirlybird" comment, the buried anemometer cups and vane are probably subject to all kinds of airflow problems.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Sometimes you just have to try things out.

And sometimes weird-looking "yard-art" isn't appreciated in upscale communities. 

I recall one guy having to paint his station blue to appease the local HOA.

In much the same way, some amateur radio operators have to make-do with "stealth" antennas.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:10:45 PM by nincehelser »

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
This trend towards "arty" and "aesthetic" designs seems to put functionality in the back seat. Particularly, despite their "whirlybird" comment, the buried anemometer cups and vane are probably subject to all kinds of airflow problems. Sure they look "cool" (maybe), but it seems that accuracy is taking a back seat.

I'll stick with my  ‘whirly-bird-looking’ eyesores...

Greg H.

I wonder how well it will do in the snow? I can see it now being packed with ice and snow for a week (or more) at a time. I know my "whirly-bird" would ice up for a day or two under certain conditions and it was out in the open.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 05:59:14 PM »
I wonder how well it will do in the snow? I can see it now being packed with ice and snow for a week (or more) at a time. I know my "whirly-bird" would ice up for a day or two under certain conditions and it was out in the open.

Good point.  I suppose it could go either way depending on where you are.  I wouldn't expect much problem from snow, but sleet might be another matter.  I think it would melt and slide off fairly quickly where I am in Nebraska.