Author Topic: New Davis VP2 up and connected  (Read 2755 times)

Offline sward6368

New Davis VP2 up and connected
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
After much research I stumbled across this forum which provided great insight into PWS' and alternate purchase locations other than Davis to save $$.  So thanks to all the contributors in this group!

I landed on the Davis VP2 6153 (from Scientific sales) and add on Anemometer transmitter so I can place the anemometer at an alternate location.  IP logger feeding Weatherlink and WU.  Years ago I had a Lacross weather station, that the Davis makes look like a kids toy.

Living in suburbia - not a lot of great siting locations when trying to fly under the HOA radar and not make the wife any madder about my purchase.  ISS is mounted ~8 feet above ground level, ~10 feet from the house and 8" off a wooden pergola.  I mounted the top of the rain cone above the top of the pergola, and decided on the 24hour FARS to help offset any residual heat / radiation from the southerly exposure of the house and pergola.  Hopefully I will not get too much of a rain shadow was a compromise with my wife on not placing in the middle of the back yard.

Anemometer was a bit more challenging, as have a walkout basement to the backyard, lots of houses around and between not having a long enough ladder, fear of heights and mounting on the house eve would be more noticeable from the street I landed on mounting off the fence in my backyard at 11 feet above ground level (using longest metal conduit I could find at 10').  Definitely lower than the surrounding houses but as much in the open as able to place it. 

Open to suggestions and thanks for all the discussions on the forum that have already been a help to me.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: New Davis VP2 up and connected
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
The location on the wooden pergola is gonna receive a LOT of heat reflection off the wall and windows of the house when the solar reflection angles align.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline sward6368

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »
Thanks, I was hoping I would be far enough away from the house - was near freezing when got setup so that likely altered my memory about the afternoon heat there.  Will look around at other options short of placing in the middle of the yard which at this point I don't think my wife will accept.

Offline wrz0170

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 09:24:51 AM »
Nice job with the locations you have to work with!  :grin:  I’m kind of in a similiar situation.    Couldn’t be in middle of yard i.e. make the Wife happy.  Can’t mount anything on the common fence.  Stay under the HOA radar.

I too, mounted my ISS on the pergola.  Only slight difference is the pergola extends from the house further. 

I definitely agree about your observation about the VP2!  My first weather station and this is no kids toy or something found at Walmart. 

Enjoy!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
If it were me I would mount the ISS on the fence and put the anny on the roof. If you mount it on a 10' mast at the rear of your house, it probably won't be visible from the street because of the angle of view.

Looks like Fort Collins, or at least the Front Range. Maybe if the HOA gives you grief you can point out that your weather data is fed to the National Weather Service to help with more accurate forecasting. Memories of the Thompson Creek flood of 1976 or the Spring Creek flood of 1997, both surprise cloudbursts, might grease the wheels a little in this regard.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:08:45 AM by LABob »

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
I would put the whole thing on the end of the roof.
Your single story home is an advantage.

Believe me, I know how frustrating mounting location is.  I have a 2 story, pitched roof and backyard of tall trees.  I have to pay antenna installers to get up there and make adjustments that are required, and batteries.

I don't like having the rain gauge way up there, but there's nothing I can do.

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »

lovelly place, welcome aboard... \:D/