Author Topic: Looking for buying advice  (Read 4387 times)

Offline dsc3507

Looking for buying advice
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
I have had ambient WS-2080 weather stations at two locations using fowsr software feeding wunderground for several years. These are cheap and they always give me trouble. USB hangs, sensors not working etc. I know that I can't expect much from them especially after years of use. At this point neither one is working.

So I am in the market to replace them. I have a lot of options and the number of stations out there is somewhat overwhelming. I really don't want to spend a thousand dollars for two but I also don't want the junk experience again. Here are the options I would like -

Wireless (preferably not 433Mhz)
Would prefer Ethernet to USB
Sensors that work and require little maintenance and are replaceable
Either direct or via local SW to Wunderground
SW (if necessary) Linux based (weewx, etc.)
Preferably in the $250 or less area

I know that is asking a lot but I am willing to consider possible solutions outside these parameters. I don't need local computer data so an Ethernet solution that went directly to wunderground would work fine. In fact that would probably be ideal if it exists at a reasonable price range. I can get my data from wunderground on the web or via local web to the device.

I have looked at several vendors. Acurite is one that has some interesting products but I have no idea about the reliability. Whatever it is it has to either be self contained to wunderground or support Linux SW. I don't use Wndows!

Looking for your thoughts on this.

Doug

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
Re: Looking for buying advice
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:00:23 PM »
Don't know what to tell you but reliability does not come cheap since Davis is out of the equation because of the expense ( WS+Data Logger). Even the Atlas Elite will be out of the Ballpark. All the cheaper Weather stations that I know of xmit on the 433Mhz Band. As for WS Software, CumulusMX ( Donation ware ) does support Linux.

BTY, I'm already having problems with my Acurite PWS, but that's a subject for a different thread( 4 Months old).................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »
As I said I am willing to bend on my requirements including price but the Davis although known good equipment ticks me off that you need to buy extra stuff and then connect to a computer to make it work. Since I am buying X2 that could get expensive.

I like the Acurite because it is plug and play Ethernet to wunderground even rapid fire.  So what was your gripe with acurite? What model? The 433 is no big deal but I am a ham operater and transmit near there. This disrupts transmissions. Not fatal but annoying.

Looking for any other models that are Ethernet and would interface directly to wunderground or local web interface??

Doug

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:49:32 PM »
Also is the Acurite Atlas series available? I can't seem to find anything other than promotional material. I saw a note that it was on Amazon but see nothing there.

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »
Also This Ambient weather looks good but not sure about quality - It uses 915Mhz and is direct Internet connection. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1200ip.html#caption

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »
I have the same Ambient model as in the link you posted since 2015 and very happy with it.  I prefer the direct internet connection over the wireless models. Easy to setup and maintain.
Had a humidity sensor failure, which was replaced. Apparently the newer ones use a digital temp/Hum sensor. Also after a year, the batteries needed replacement.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 01:12:57 AM »
Thanks for the input on the ambient system. Can you also access it via web locally? Can you set the web port to other than 80? Has the wireless and Internet been reliable?

Doug

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:31:40 AM »
Can you also access it via web locally?
You can access the ObserverIP locally to do the setup and calibration. There is also a tab to display Live Data (figure 25) in the OIP manual. You also use this tab to set/reset rain totals if you need to. It is more for troubleshooting and not very useful for every day observation.
The newest firmware version of the OIP disables Telnet to OIP so I don't think you will be able to change port 80.

Has the wireless and Internet been reliable?
I my case, yes. The indoor unit loose connection to the OIP every now and then for a short time period, but I think it is due to the location of the indoor unit to the OIP. I placed the OIP to have best connection to the outdoor unit.

Out the box it post data to WU and Ambient weather to view your data remotely.

Hope this help.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »
Same station for 40% of the Ambient price.
That is a good price.
One caveat, apparently Ambient blocks clones from accessing Ambient Weather.
Please confirm with Ambient if you want to access Ambient Weather.
There is no issues with WU accept WU themselves.  :eek:

CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
Technically, it is not a clone - it is produced by the same outfit for Misol, Ambient and a couple others.  CHina does that sort of thing.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 02:57:23 AM »
I looked at the aliexpress unit. It says it is 433Mhz - which is either wrong or it is not the same. Other specs are different also. It also does not come with the display. I don't think this is a close clone. I would take a chance on it.

On the other hand Ambient wants $30 for UPS shipping of the unit to Philly. Seems ridiculously high. This thing cannot weight that much. Total price is $324.96

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 02:58:21 AM »
It should say  "I would NOT take a chance on it"

Offline lindyshelly

• The Human Nest
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 01:12:13 AM »
If you are looking for buying a new device, AcuRite 01036 Pro Weather Station is best and reliable. I have been using this device for 2 years at my home for the weather forecast. It works brilliantly and gives me the accurate data. This is my best personal weather station.You can easily mount the 5 in-1 integrated sensor system and connect it to your PC. After reviewing many of sites on the internet I got a great link that helps me a lot to buy this device: https://thehumannest.com/best-weather-station-reviews/. I have also collected the reviews about various weather station from this site, and finally, I found the best device. If you want you can check it out.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
I'm confused at what you guys are looking at.  Ambient sells this for $149:

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
The Ambient Weather WS-1401IP. I just got it and it is so far working great. Very easy to setup. I bought from Amazon for $159.95 which is a better deal as it is free shipping. Ambient charges $30 for shipping and handling.

I think this is a very good choice especially at the price. You could come no where near this with Davis for the same performance. The direct to Internet is nice and who needs a display. You can display it on WU or the Ambient dashboard on any computer, laptop, phone etc. anywhere in the world. You can add a display if you like. The ambient dashboard shows inside temperature and humidity.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
Congratulations and many happy years with your new station.
I opted for the display model and it is mounted in my kitchen and is the first thing I check before I even turn on the coffee.  :-)
The direct to Internet is nice and who needs a display.
An old iPad  makes a good display if you later decide you need one.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dsc3507

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
If you have Google Home or Alexa you can also have it tell you both outside and inside conditions.