Author Topic: "New and improved" anemometer from Davis  (Read 14834 times)

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
"New and improved" anemometer from Davis
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:44:20 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=598606430157159&l=f2f64766bc
We are pleased to announce our new and improved Anemometer design, now with a Wind Speed Starting Threshold of 1 mph (less than 0.5 m/s)

Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: "New and improved" anemometer from Davis
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
Dang, talk about giving me the warm fuzzies for Davis...my station hasn't even been delivered yet and the anemometer is already last year's model.  :-(

Ed

ETA:  Ok, from what I can tell it looks like I may very well be getting the new anemometer.  From what I can tell it looks like a (good) design change in the piece (shaft? shaft cover?) between the cups and the mount...the new design appears to be more aerodynamic in that area...rather than a cylindrical shape the new design has a "twist" to it.  I'm not aware of any electronics changes.  Supposedly the new vane has been shipping for "a while" now.  The vanes with the white "DAVIS" logo on them will not be out until July...who needs a logo?  :lol:  Regardless whether my "In Transit" station has the old or new vane....I'm happy!!  :grin:

COME ON MONDAY!!!!!!  \:D/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:50:57 AM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »
Dang, talk about giving me the warm fuzzies for Davis...my station hasn't even been delivered yet and the anemometer is already last year's model.  :-(

You never know, you might get one of the new ones - all depends on manufacturing schedules, buffer stocks at the dealer etc. I think (subject to confirmation) that if you have a Mfg Code that starts AF or AJ onwards  (ie not AG or AH) then you should have the new one. Another sign would be a D-shaped wind vane shaft.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
I was planning on replacing my 8 year old VP2 with a new one.
Hope there's some other improvements over the years.
Tony

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »
That's the same anemometer they replaced my old one with when I sent the whole station in for a refurb!  I was pleased they did that.

Offline hailstorm

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
Ordered a replacement anemometer last month from WeatherShack for my 6 year old VP2 and received the " new and improved " version, looks identical to the picture (minus the Davis logo). Thing I noticed is there is no exposed magnetic pickup underneath, seems to be now contained inside the housing and it most definitely is a lot more sensitive to very light winds that the old version.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
I just sent Ryan of Archer Trading Post an email asking about these. I've got this on my wish list. Thanx for sharing this.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 12:35:42 AM »
Ryan told me that he's 99% sure the new anemometer will be in the VP2 station that I have coming to me.  He said that the new version has been shipping with the last several stations that he's sent out.  I'm hoping... :) 

He didn't mention whether the individual anemometers that he's been getting are the new ones or not, though they may be.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:35:22 AM »
Ryan told me that he's 99% sure the new anemometer will be in the VP2 station that I have coming to me.  He said that the new version has been shipping with the last several stations that he's sent out.  I'm hoping... :) 

He didn't mention whether the individual anemometers that he's been getting are the new ones or not, though they may be.

Ed

Good, I'm hoping I'll get one as well, as I just ordered a 6153 from him on Friday.  He's super nice.  I lamented about him not having the datalogger in stock, he rectified that right away and also offered to ship it priority.  Shipment of new Davis stock was evidently delayed by weather, so he should have those in by Monday.

That's how you keep repeat business.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »
Couple of dumb questions:

1. Where do I locate the MFG code or how to know if green dot (I have a VP2 Pro 6512)?
2. I know I saw this somewhere else regarding a refurb/calibration: How long does Davis take to do both and what is the cost?

Thanks in advance.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »

Here is a link to PDF that Davis has supplied to share with customers that shows how they can determine the correct replacement vane, it supplies the different manufacturing codes and physical characteristics to look for.

Replacement Wind Vane PDF

The easiest way to determine version is by the shape of the lower part of the anemometer, the logo'd version has not yet been released.
We have had this new revision individually for some time and also most of our current stock of stations include it too.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »

The easiest way to determine version is by the shape of the lower part of the anemometer...

That would be easy if an illustration or clearly-identified pictures were posted. 

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »

The easiest way to determine version is by the shape of the lower part of the anemometer...

That would be easy if an illustration or clearly-identified pictures were posted. 

I thought was fairly apparent in the PDF illustration but here are some pictures that I hope will help clarify. looking at the older straight body vs new indented shape.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »
I'd have thought that the easiest things to look for would either be the D-shaped wind vane spindle or the Mfg Code (both previously posted to another thread here, but also as per the linked PDF).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
I'd have thought that the easiest things to look for would either be the D-shaped wind vane spindle or the Mfg Code (both previously posted to another thread here, but also as per the linked PDF).

My thinking of "easiest" was by just looking at it without having to remove any parts. Although if you do remove the vane to inspect the shaft then there will be absolutely no doubt about the version (D shaped shaft is the new version).

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »
My thinking of "easiest" was by just looking at it without having to remove any parts. Although if you do remove the vane to inspect the shaft then there will be absolutely no doubt about the version (D shaped shaft is the new version).

Understood, but just trying to put myself in the position of a user who doesn't have an 'old' one to hand for comparison. I haven't seen the new one myself yet, does the D-spindle poke right through the vane like on the Vue? That would be another way of telling. Definitely looking forward to the new speed sensor.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »

Understood, but just trying to put myself in the position of a user who doesn't have an 'old' one to hand for comparison. I haven't seen the new one myself yet, does the D-spindle poke right through the vane like on the Vue? That would be another way of telling. Definitely looking forward to the new speed sensor.

Yes, it may be hard  to describe without the digram or pictures, so then the D shaped shaft is still the only sure way to know. Other than that, they are still shipping with the exact same vane (part # 7904 does not have keyed D shape underneath) so you cannot determine version by simply looking at the external vane part itself.

Note the new keyed vanes will be the 7906L Wind Vane (with logo) & 7906 Wind Vane (no logo), these are not yet available.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
Could you not tell by looking at the plastic moulding where the vein, anemometer and shaft meet?

The new one looks much smoother and moulded, where the original is quite angular and has right angled reinforcements above and below the shaft.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
My unit came today; it would appear I have the older anemometer.  No d-shaped shaft and the molding is not smooth as indicated in the photo.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
I haven't taken mine out of the box yet...still gotta get prepared for installation.

BigOkie, I was wondering what the first two characters in your unit's serial number is.

According to the Davis pdf linked to above any units with a serial number starting out with AJ and on upwards has the new anemometer.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 02:51:27 PM »
I haven't taken mine out of the box yet...still gotta get prepared for installation.

BigOkie, I was wondering what the first two characters in your unit's serial number is.

According to the Davis pdf linked to above any units with a serial number starting out with AJ and on upwards has the new anemometer.

Ed

I'll have to look when I get home.  Are you talking about the serial number on the console or is there another somewhere, possibly on the ISS?

I know using the pattern described, my console has a manu date of Jan 2012.  It also came loaded with v1.90 firmware.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
If I recall correctly the serial number is found on the back of the console...the leg of the stand, I believe.  But, with your mention of the date of manufacture and it having FW v1.90 loaded I feel that your serial # will be a pre-AK one.  Hang onto that v1.90.   I'm thinking mine will have the new anemometer but at the expense of being loaded with v3.12 firmware.  We'll see...

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
If I recall correctly the serial number is found on the back of the console...the leg of the stand, I believe.  But, with your mention of the date of manufacture and it having FW v1.90 loaded I feel that your serial # will be a pre-AK one.  Hang onto that v1.90.   I'm thinking mine will have the new anemometer but at the expense of being loaded with v3.12 firmware.  We'll see...

Ed

Interesting.  Serial number on the back of my console begins with B1.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
I just took a peek inside the box (still waiting on a chance to install  :-|) and it looks like mine has the new anemometer.  :grin: The serial number starts on the box label starts with AK and states the firmware is v3.12.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: Re: Re: "New and improved" anemometer from Davis
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
I just took a peek inside the box (still waiting on a chance to install  :-|) and it looks like mine has the new anemometer.  :grin: The serial number starts on the box label starts with AK and states the firmware is v3.12.

Ed

Hmm. Didn't think to look on the box for it. I'll check that again.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I