Author Topic: Vantage Vue no wind speed and repair  (Read 18851 times)

Offline Kamakzie

Re: Vantage Vue no wind speed and repair
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »
Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the wind cartridge on the Vue?

Offline tommyr

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2019, 08:16:36 PM »

Is is very easy. Remove a few screws, take out old one put in new one replace screws. I did it, you can too!

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2019, 08:31:57 PM »

Is is very easy. Remove a few screws, take out old one put in new one replace screws. I did it, you can too!

Figured I would try the $20 experiment before buying a whole new system. My wind cups only spin in higher winds but not lower winds. I will also double check and make sure there is no gunk on the inner shaft.

Offline tommyr

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »

Figured I would try the $20 experiment before buying a whole new system. My wind cups only spin in higher winds but not lower winds. I will also double check and make sure there is no gunk on the inner shaft.

You can do it. Take your time with it. IIRC it's black and held in with 2 screws. I did it about 2 years ago. One tiny allen nut to loosen to remove the cups as well.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »
Mhhhh I have the low wind anemometer issue, I was about to send my unit to Davis for refurb work. I better try this first and see.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2019, 10:47:58 PM »
I just ordered mine from scaled instruments. Hopefully it will be here in a week or so.

Offline Willum

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2019, 04:05:06 AM »
............ and now my other Vantage Vue has gone the same way with the wind speed.  Naturally, it's just outside the 2 year warranty.
I've emailed the vendor, who this time diagnosed the fault from my descriptions - but only offered me the option of buying a new set of internals for £140.  That's about half the cost of a complete new unit and a life span of 2 years.  POOR, Mr Davis!
I've emailed them back to suggest they contact Davis but that was a week ago and nothing back yet.
Will

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2019, 08:42:47 AM »
My order has been placed at Scientific Instruments . I am hoping that it gets here by the weekend :)
I am glad I found this thread!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline Willum

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2019, 02:39:12 AM »
My order has been placed at Scientific Instruments . I am hoping that it gets here by the weekend :)
.............. and I'm sorry the currently poor quality of a Davis weather station has (quite rightly) encouraged you to go elsewhere for an instrument. :roll:
Will

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2019, 10:33:56 PM »
.............. and I'm sorry the currently poor quality of a Davis weather station has (quite rightly) encouraged you to go elsewhere for an instrument. :roll:
Will

No thanks :)
My unit ran for six years straight and went through  hurricanes and hail storms.... Rock solid. The hail storm had golf ball size hail and my Vue took it like a champ.

18 dollars in six years? I say that's solid. :D

----

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
I received mine in the mail today. Waiting for when the weather is good for my dad to go up on the roof. Being in a wheelchair I have to depend on others.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2019, 11:54:38 PM »
I got mine installed today... I took the downtime to do some major maintenance so I change quite a few parts... All in all about 40 dollars in and about 20Min time. We are back in business! :D

----

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
I got mine installed today... I took the downtime to do some major maintenance so I change quite a few parts... All in all about 40 dollars in and about 20Min time. We are back in business! :D

I haven't gotten mine installed yet. Did it work for yours? Correcting the low wind speed readings?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2019, 07:32:37 PM »

I haven't gotten mine installed yet. Did it work for yours? Correcting the low wind speed readings?

Yes it did :)

----

Offline Kamakzie

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »
Finally got mine working. There was a few more screws involved than I thought but my nephew was able to get it back up there. Unfortunately I realized that the orientation of the weather station was wrong for all these years! The solar panel pointed to the north instead of the South so he put it back up there the correct way. Very embarrassing for me especially since I report the weather conditions to Weather Underground!

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2020, 05:07:10 PM »
Luckily the wind speed sensor has finally failed permanently on my Vue. It is no longer failing only after long periodes of high humidity :) Now I have a pretty good chance of finding the specific component on the PCB that has failed. I will post an update when the issue is finally solved...

My Vantage Vue also shows no Wind Speed. Half of the time. The wind speed fails during the nights and starts working again in the afternoons (between 1 pm and 7 pm. I suspect it is the high humidity (~95 %) at night that shorts something inside the ISS. When it wakes up, the humidity usually is below 65%. It also quits a few hours after rain.

I will have to troubleshoot the ISS again...

nixxon
Norway

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IBRUM59#history
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:55:05 PM by nixxon »

Offline Willum

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
I really would like to know if you manage to fix it, especially how and what needed doing.  [tup]
Willum

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2020, 06:06:10 AM »
Update: i finally took the time to take my faulty Vue down. The one that reports no wind speed. The broken component is the wiegand sensor WG112. It no longer generates electric pulses when the magnet rotates. When I pulse a 1.5 V AA battery to the two wiegand solder pads, the weather console shows wind speed > 0.0. Now I will try to order a new WG112. However they seem hard to get reasonably priced from China in quantities < 50 😬

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 07:29:35 AM by nixxon »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
Here is one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-WG112-Wiegand-Effect-zero-no-power-magnetic-flow-sensor-switch/111703122071

Greg H.

UPDATE: It has been delisted:

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 08:11:08 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Willum

« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2020, 09:26:02 AM »
Nixxon's and miraculon's posts start to make a repair look feasible.  Nice work, guys. =D&gt;

If it does prove to be replaceable, does anyone know what sort of conformal coating would be suitable?
............ and if you've already read this, it's modified with this bit I just found:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sensore-di-hall-wg112-intervallo-misura-da-0-003-a-0-012-t-print/264470867456?hash=item3d93b12e00:g:3vQAAOSwEqNdg1ZO
It's not at a price you would buy one for the fun of it but if confident of the result, well worth the effort - and, for me certainly, (until January 2021 - but we don't talk about that piece of British stupidity :roll:) a lot less hassle than importing from the US.

Will
ps oddly enough, my brother's Vantage Vue wind speed has now decided to work when it feels like it! #-o
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:43:14 AM by Willum »

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »
Nixxon's and miraculon's posts start to make a repair look feasible.  Nice work, guys. =D&gt;

If it does prove to be replaceable, does anyone know what sort of conformal coating would be suitable?
............ and if you've already read this, it's modified with this bit I just found:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sensore-di-hall-wg112-intervallo-misura-da-0-003-a-0-012-t-print/264470867456?hash=item3d93b12e00:g:3vQAAOSwEqNdg1ZO
It's not at a price you would buy one for the fun of it but if confident of the result, well worth the effort - and, for me certainly, (until January 2021 - but we don't talk about that piece of British stupidity :roll:) a lot less hassle than importing from the US.

Will
ps oddly enough, my brother's Vantage Vue wind speed has now decided to work when it feels like it! #-o

Thank you for your friendly reply. Usually it is just a silly, low cost component that brings a system down. In this case it was the WG112 that cost US$ 1 each if you buy a 50 pack bundle, or $10 + shipping if you buy only one component. It is almost tempting to buy a complete new set of electronics guts for the Vue. The case and the mechanic parts are looking good.

I think you need an oscilloscope to verify that the wiegand sensor is bad, due to the short duration of the electric pulses coming from it. This is a perfect oportunity to buy a second hand, analog oscilloscope for US$ 15 ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:07:15 PM by nixxon »

Offline Willum

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »
........... This is a perfect oportunity to buy a second hand, analog oscilloscope for US$ 15 ;)
A man after my own heart!  The same sort of reasoning I've used very many times. [tup]
I'll continue to follow with avid interest
Will

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »

Will

Louis Rossmann (The Rossmann Group) is selling some conformal coating that seems to do the business https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w  I use a product called "LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE". They usually come with an application brush inside the lid and my can bears the name "Seachoice"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 02:46:21 PM by nixxon »

Offline nixxon

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2020, 03:31:57 AM »
Here is one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-WG112-Wiegand-Effect-zero-no-power-magnetic-flow-sensor-switch/111703122071

Greg H.

Thank you for the update.

I actually ordered this item yesterday. Today the order was cancelled by the seller who gave this explanation:
"dear
I'm very sorry
Send your parcel to the logistics provider
But the address could not be entered in the address library, the staff replied: I entered it twice, but I could not enter
Due to the epidemic, this problem has occurred in the zip codes of many areas of your country
When will it be restored, the logistics provider cannot promise
So I will cancel the order for you first,
When the logistics company informs you to resume delivery, I will send an email to tell you
have a nice day"

Now I have ordered another one from aliexpress. This one was slightly cheaper, US $9.53, including free shipping. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32485884260.html

Offline Willum

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2020, 04:45:26 AM »

Greg H.

Thank you for the update.

I actually ordered this item yesterday. Today the order was cancelled by the seller who gave this explanation:
"dear
I'm very sorry
Send your parcel to the logistics provider
But the address could not be entered in the address library, the staff replied: I entered it twice, but I could not enter
Due to the epidemic, this problem has occurred in the zip codes of many areas of your country
When will it be restored, the logistics provider cannot promise
So I will cancel the order for you first,
When the logistics company informs you to resume delivery, I will send an email to tell you
have a nice day"

Now I have ordered another one from aliexpress. This one was slightly cheaper, US $9.53, including free shipping. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32485884260.html
Hmmm!  'Have a nice day'?  You might have been able to do so had he posted the sensor!!
If his explanation had a smell attached I think it would be just the same as the stuff that comes out the back of a male cow! :roll:  I've had a similar excuse used on at least two occasions with a delivery from Hong Kong, always blaming the carrier.

Sadly, when I followed your link to Aliexpress, the price came out at £11.41, just a few cents under $15  :shock:

Out of interest: whilst idly thinking 'Surely it's just a Hall-effect component', I did a bit of reading.
Wrong!  It may well have been mentioned elsewhere in this thread - and you most probably know better than me - a Weigand sensor actually produces a detectable signal under the influence of a magnet and without the need for any power supply (passive-active?) so substituting a Hall-effect component isn't an option.

Will