Author Topic: Humidity stuck.  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Humidity stuck.
« on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »
Yesterday my computer decided to crash and when it came back up the humidity got stuck at 83%. I didn't notice this until this morning before I headed off to college noticed the humidity was flat on the graph.. I tried a few things before I ended up closing Weather Display and I'm now running the VP2 on Cumulus. I want WD for the web can uploads and leaf/soil data. Has anyone had this happen or know how to fix it? None of the other data seem to have issues. Just the humidity.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: Humidity stuck.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
Normally a save and exit then restart WD will cure the issue. Maybe unplug the replug data logger.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Humidity stuck. (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »
On a hunch I decided to take a look at the humidity offset in WD and for some reason it was -100%. Not sure how that happened but I put this to 0 and the problem went away. So now things are good.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:17:08 PM »
Well done.  =D>

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Reverse7

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:10 AM »
My WD has been reporting 3% humidity (even when raining) and due point -22c, so I checked the console of the Davis Vantage Vue and it too said 3%,  I have checked my WD humidity settings and there are not offsets set for humidity, so as I initially thought the station itself is reporting false information.

I did the usual restarts, disconnect and reconnect of the data logger and resynced the station to the console, but still it says the same (and even 1% now), the station is three months old and is in warranty, I have contacted Davis and they have given me a list of things to try, which I am still yet to do, that's where I'm upto.

Strangely, there are days where it looks like it's reporting normally, 80% and +25c Due Point, which is about right for my area.

I'll try their suggestion but it looks like I might need to send it back or get a replacement temp/humidity sensor.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:00:12 AM by Reverse7 »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 01:42:02 AM »
Sound like you have an bad sensor. I seen  them last 6 months and some last several years.

John

Offline Reverse7

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
This is a screenshot from Weather Underground that my station uploads too. I'm sharing this to show the characteristics of what it does in it's current state.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

As you can see it appears to report normal at different parts of the day, but then tappers off.
Defiantly looking like the Temp/Humidity/Due Point sensor. Rain and Wind works perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:07:52 AM by Reverse7 »

Offline Reverse7

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
Bit of an update

- Contacted Davis and they gave me a list of things to try
 - I did all of what they asked, plus more (changing the battery), no luck.
 - They said call them by phone to initiate an RMA request to get it fixed.
 - Made the international phone call, they turned me down cause I'm outside of USA/Canada (I'm in Australia)
 - They gave me the Australian Davis Support number to call
 - Called them they were closed (extended holiday)
 - Emailed them so they'd get it when they get back...  they were more concerned that I have the UK model and said that "we cannot fix it because you have the UK model it's a grey import" and implied in the email that the frequency difference could be why it don't work and at my expensive they can change the frequency on which it operates to the Australian standards.
 - No mention about sensors.
 - "Contact the seller you purchased it off from eBay they might be able to help"
 - I have done this, one week still no reply from ebay seller.

Aside from the frequency story that's just rubbish, I'm finding that Davis "Warranty" is basically just "insurance". You pay double thee price that every other region does, just so IF something does go wrong they are more likely to help you.

I've paid $805 dollars on this Vanatge Vue, sensor goes within 3 months of use, and I get politics, obvious wrong diagnosis (ie, frequency) and NO customer support.  ](*,)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:35:54 PM by Reverse7 »

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
So you are using a system that is not designed for your country? No electronics manufacturer will warranty an item used in that way as they would be assisting you in improper use as it is using a frequency that is most likely illegal in your country.

Offline Reverse7

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »
Yes, as I said, you pay Davis Instruments the high price they ask for their equipment, not for any special reasons or features other than insurance.

Science of radio doesn't stop because it don't belong in this country.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:45:31 PM by Reverse7 »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 01:41:17 AM »
all weather stations do eventually have an issue with the humidity sensor
you could try 'cleaning' the sensor
there has been some threads about how to do that