Author Topic: Telescoping flagpole as anemometer mast?  (Read 23843 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Telescoping flagpole as anemometer mast?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »
I read somewhere as long as the mast isn't attached to the house and goes directly into ground, no grounding would be necessary. I can say the telepole 30' version which I have had no instructions to add any grounding device. 

What I'm not 100% clear on if wire from example camera or anemometer coming into home could become a current path? Possible it would go least resistance directly into ground through flagpole base and not follow wire.
I think that's an absolute possibility, dare I say probable, that current would not only follow the pole, but into the house. Discharging millions of volts and hundreds of thousands of amps, I would never presume that ALL of it would be grounded with such an easy path into the house also.

Hope to never find out. The anemometer is wireless and this summer mounted a camera with cat5 cable leading directly into house. We get lightning here, not Florida like but our share for sure.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 08:20:05 PM »
I read somewhere as long as the mast isn't attached to the house and goes directly into ground, no grounding would be necessary. I can say the telepole 30' version which I have had no instructions to add any grounding device. 

What I'm not 100% clear on if wire from example camera or anemometer coming into home could become a current path? Possible it would go least resistance directly into ground through flagpole base and not follow wire.
I think that's an absolute possibility, dare I say probable, that current would not only follow the pole, but into the house. Discharging millions of volts and hundreds of thousands of amps, I would never presume that ALL of it would be grounded with such an easy path into the house also.

Hope to never find out. The anemometer is wireless and this summer mounted a camera with cat5 cable leading directly into house. We get lightning here, not Florida like but our share for sure.
Lightning couldn't care less about your location. 

Offline wagz4me

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 10:11:50 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the info!  My station is wireless to my console in the house.  I haven't opened the box yet, but the only wire I will have (I think) is going to be from the anemometer (top of pole) to the transmitter (to be on the side of the wooden post).  At least that is what I understood from Davis and saw in the pictures of my unit. Pole is galvanized aluminum, probably a good conductor but worse than the wire. So if the pole takes a hit, most likely my station transmitter would be fried anyway.  No wires come into the house, but I have whole-house lightning protection through my local power company here.   Even if I did ground the pole, as ValentineWeather mentioned the path of least resistance would most likely be the wire (from the anemometer), which would lead right to the station transmitter. I'd hate to lose that,  but as I said, in the 36+ years I've lived in FL I never took a hit.  I am a part time laptop technician, I ground my buildings and protect my hardware with UPS units-never lost a unit yet due to lightning, even here on beachside where I work.  I just wasn't sure if I should worry about ground on this pole because of the exposure and the height.  I agree with CW2274 that 3' buried on wood should be adequate ground (my brother said the same).  All said,  I think I probably won't ground it right now..I can always do that later, as we are out of the high lightning season for now anyway.  Thanks all!  I will try to post some pics when I have it up and working....remember, I am a newbie so be kind in your comments--LOL!  I'm kidding, PLEASE be honest in your comments, I always appreciate them!  And, if it ain't right, whatever goes up, CAN come down :-)  Happy Friday to all! 

--Carol:)
Carol:)

Offline wagz4me

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Oops, sorry all, forgot to mention that at this time I do not have a camera....need $$$ first.  So, no wires coming into the house from the station right now.  There are wireless cameras that I will look into ...but, for now, no camera :-(  Forgot to mention that in my last post. 

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »
Some of the Telepole flag poles have ABS mounting sleeves that the poles are inserted into.  Although the poles sit on a steel rod that is inserted across the diameter of the mount sleeve, the amount of metal on the ends this rod that would actually contact soil outside of the insulating sleeve is small and would be a minimal ground.  I attached heavy gauge wires to the ends of the rod to maximize contact with the soil and enhance the grounding.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline wagz4me

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »
Hi Dave, 

I never thought about that, yes, the pole that I got supposedly has a plastic ground sleeve with it (another unopened box!)  So, like you did, I could attach heavy wires to the ends of that pole when I install it this weekend.  Thank you for that idea! --Carol

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the info!  My station is wireless to my console in the house.  I haven't opened the box yet, but the only wire I will have (I think) is going to be from the anemometer (top of pole) to the transmitter (to be on the side of the wooden post).  At least that is what I understood from Davis and saw in the pictures of my unit. Pole is galvanized aluminum, probably a good conductor but worse than the wire. So if the pole takes a hit, most likely my station transmitter would be fried anyway.  No wires come into the house, but I have whole-house lightning protection through my local power company here.   Even if I did ground the pole, as ValentineWeather mentioned the path of least resistance would most likely be the wire (from the anemometer), which would lead right to the station transmitter. I'd hate to lose that,  but as I said, in the 36+ years I've lived in FL I never took a hit.  I am a part time laptop technician, I ground my buildings and protect my hardware with UPS units-never lost a unit yet due to lightning, even here on beachside where I work.  I just wasn't sure if I should worry about ground on this pole because of the exposure and the height.  I agree with CW2274 that 3' buried on wood should be adequate ground (my brother said the same).  All said,  I think I probably won't ground it right now..I can always do that later, as we are out of the high lightning season for now anyway.  Thanks all!  I will try to post some pics when I have it up and working....remember, I am a newbie so be kind in your comments--LOL!  I'm kidding, PLEASE be honest in your comments, I always appreciate them!  And, if it ain't right, whatever goes up, CAN come down :-)  Happy Friday to all! 

Yes, your anemometer comes with 40' of cable to attach to the ISS. You also have the option of a remote transmitter for the anemometer if you choose to separate it from the ISS. Many go this route.

Offline wagz4me

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »
Hi CW2274, thanks for the info!  I didn't know about the separate transmitter for the wind, that's cool!  My current (failing) station is completely integrated, the transmitter is part of that ISS.  When I had to replace it, I chose a station that I could separate, but my concept of that was that only the anemometer separated and it had to connect to THE transmitter on the other piece.  I guess it has to connect to A transmitter, and there can be more than one on the station...not sure I got that from the description.  I think there are 8 channels on my Vantage Vue console-Davis says that the station I bought will talk to that console. So, I guess each transmitter would have to talk to a different channel on the console. So, in theory I could have up to 8 transmitters (or stations I guess) then. Doh!  Just didn't think about it...  Learn something new every day, I obviously missed something in my research!

For now, though, to get the station up and working so I can enjoy it again, I think I'll stay with my plan of having the anemometer up on the pole and the rain gauge/sensor unit down lower on the wooden post supporting that pole, with one transmitter for both.  Am on a contract here in FL for 2 yrs, and then will be retiring and moving.  So maybe when I move i'll get the second transmitter and I'll have a little bit of $$$ saved for it too :-)  First I would like to get the software etc. and connect to Wunderground.  Taking it a step at a time.   Thanks again-have a great weekend!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
The wireless anemometer transmitter is an add on. Davis 6332 – Wireless Anemometer Transmitter Kit – $135.00  ($105.00 )
This is from scaled instruments discount price list.

You would use the existing Anemometer unit that comes with the VP2 station and just plug into the wireless transmitter. The VP2 console needs to be the wireless version also.
Doing this you can have a large separation from the main ISS and not limited by the 40' cable length wherever the anemometer is set up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:43:21 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline wagz4me

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2015, 12:50:08 AM »
Hi Randy,

I am starting to understand:)   Funds are short so I am using the single transmitter  for now.  I can see where multiple transmitters would be ideal though.  My console is wireless.  Scaled Instruments price sounds pretty reasonable...maybe Santa will bring!  Thanks for the info...right now for me to see SOMETHING on my console other than dashes would be a thrill!! LOL!  Have a good one!  New station is going up tomorrow, have most everything ready to do the job.

Carol :)

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 01:52:53 AM »
This thread inspired me to get a 20' Superior 1 TelePole as well! I just poured the cement for the ground sleeve today, and will put the anemometer on tomorrow. I'm happy to have it off the roof.
You guys have some good setups, very cool.

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 12:48:24 AM »
I have used a telescopic Flag pole that started out as 7.6m from ground to the top and it's now shrunk to 5.4m as the Joints that you twist to raise and lower the mast have jammed due to the rain (it is 4 years old), I use it for my Davis Anemometer and the only way to keep it aligned is by guy-wiring it. We recently had a gust of wind that recorded 104km/h or 60-62mph and it still swayed pretty badly and the Davis read a max of 69km/h VS a Fine offset which is fully secure on a separate mast and won't move even in the strongest of gusts recorded the 104km/h. (The Fine Offset is sited 3m above Ground and runs on Cumulus with Wind Multiplier to get 10m readings).

I believe also the issue with telescopic poles is that they get narrower towards the top throwing the balance off by a portion so I will be upgrading it from a Telescopic to a proper wind resistance Mast and will be using the tipping tower motion where it is bolted between two other rods making lowering and raising much easier when maintenance is required.

At this stage in time My Davis Pro 2 is still wired to the original SIM and will invest in a Wireless Anemometer transmitter which costs $300AUD   ](*,) and the new mast will be slipped into a Tyre plate for a Flag Pole until the major set up commences.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 08:10:20 AM »
I have used a telescopic Flag pole that started out as 7.6m from ground to the top and it's now shrunk to 5.4m as the Joints that you twist to raise and lower the mast have jammed due to the rain (it is 4 years old), I use it for my Davis Anemometer and the only way to keep it aligned is by guy-wiring it. We recently had a gust of wind that recorded 104km/h or 60-62mph and it still swayed pretty badly and the Davis read a max of 69km/h VS a Fine offset which is fully secure on a separate mast and won't move even in the strongest of gusts recorded the 104km/h. (The Fine Offset is sited 3m above Ground and runs on Cumulus with Wind Multiplier to get 10m readings).

I believe also the issue with telescopic poles is that they get narrower towards the top throwing the balance off by a portion so I will be upgrading it from a Telescopic to a proper wind resistance Mast and will be using the tipping tower motion where it is bolted between two other rods making lowering and raising much easier when maintenance is required.

At this stage in time My Davis Pro 2 is still wired to the original SIM and will invest in a Wireless Anemometer transmitter which costs $300AUD   ](*,) and the new mast will be slipped into a Tyre plate for a Flag Pole until the major set up commences.

Not all are made the same. Won't use anything less than the thicker 10 gauge poles.
Telepole makes the model Superior 3 Flagpole I have extended at 30' and has survived a 66 mph gust and many 50 mph gust.
Not the only solution out there but has worked in windy Nebraska for 3 years now.

http://www.tele-pole.com/flagpoles/superior-3-flagpole/
Randy

Offline wagz4me

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »
Hi all!  Well, I can happily report that my sectional flagpole from amazon.com withstood hurricane Matthew here in Melbourne FL...recorded winds at 85 mph at my place.  Did it sway?  OH YEAH.  I was able to see a bit through my hurricane shutters....but it is still standing.  And no equipment damage.  The mast is an 8 foot 4X6, sectional flagpole is bracketed to it level with the bottom of the 4X6 and that assembly is sunk 2' into the ground.  Height of the anemometer above the pole is 19 feet.  That clears the roof tops in my area, not the trees, but there is a path where the trees are way behind the mast, and the rest is open.  My wind readings are  very close if not not right on with another wunderground station about 3 miles north of me.  So I am pretty happy.  Many of the suggestions posted here helped tremendously during the construction phase of this station, and I thank all who posted. The pole is not grounded, but there was a plastic shield that was attached to it, I left than on when I attached the pole to the mast. Someone suggested attaching wire to the pole and making sure it was buried in the ground...I felt that might have been unnecessary when I saw the plastic shield and sunk the pole/shield/mast 2+ feet down.   I had eye surgery earlier this year, shortly after I got the station installed. So, have been off this board for awhile, I was glad to see a response earlier tonite! All is well now, and I am back in business.  So, I can recommend the sectional flagpole as an anemometer mast, at least in a subdivision location....even during a Florida hurricane!  Thank you again,Have a good night all!

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »

Not all are made the same. Won't use anything less than the thicker 10 gauge poles.
Telepole makes the model Superior 3 Flagpole I have extended at 30' and has survived a 66 mph gust and many 50 mph gust.
Not the only solution out there but has worked in windy Nebraska for 3 years now.

http://www.tele-pole.com/flagpoles/superior-3-flagpole/

Will this pole be able to handle a yagi antenna?

Thanks

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live