Author Topic: Com Port Error  (Read 1477 times)

Offline deweydewdrops

Com Port Error
« on: April 02, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
This morning my Windows 7 PC installed several critical Windows updates.  When it was finished, I lost communication between my VWS Internet and Davis Vantage Vue weather station.  I am using the Davis WeatherLink USB connection between the Davis console and the PC.  I upgraded VWS to the latest beta version thinking that might clear it up.  No help.  The error message I receive when starting VWS is, "Could not open communications port."

My PC doesn't have any hardware serial ports, so any comm ports are simulations via USB.  I have looked through Device Mgr, but didn't see anything there that might be the problem.  Running out of places to look.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Com Port Error
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »
Run  Weather Link   tell it to auto find the correct com port. Change VWS to that com port.

Offline deweydewdrops

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 09:42:07 AM »
I did that and it couldn't find any comm ports.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
Go here    read page 15.    I suspect that the updates some how removed or corrupted the com driver. Re run the utility as per the grey box instructions.

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »
Unplug the logger from the console plug. Wait a few moments. Reconnect.

Offline deweydewdrops

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »
I called Davis and let the tech take over my computer.  She found that the wrong USB driver was installed for the Davis data logger.  She changed it to the correct one, and my problem was solved.  Great technical support by Davis.