Author Topic: WeatherNation on Directv!  (Read 14560 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
WeatherNation on Directv!
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
Most of us weather people may already know this.

WeatherNation 361
The Weather Channel 362

If you have never seen WeatherNation check it out.
many people calling it "What the Weather Channel used to be"

This is what I posted from Paul douglas a few years ago.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=7964.msg76205#msg76205

They are also working on cooperation with a few local tv stations around the US

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: WeatherNation on Directv!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I've added it to our favorite list of channels.   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
sure wish dish network would add this channel back and drop the so called weather channel

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »
sure wish dish network would add this channel back and drop the so called weather channel

Send them an email
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

Send them an email
[/quote]

already have done that, dish is not to good in responding to emails, our local fox station was off the air for over 2 months due to a price fight between dish and them .  emails were never answered with my questions or comments on how both sides were acting.  but will continue to send more emails in future with the hope someday they will listen

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 10:32:51 PM »

WeatherNation 361
The Weather Channel 362

I had Ch. 361 unchecked on my favorites, so I missed it showing up in the on-screen guide. Thanks for posting this. I have now added it!

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
this was in the LA times

Some heavy storms may be headed toward the Weather Channel.
DirecTV, the El Segundo satellite broadcaster with more than 20 million subscribers around the country, has quietly started distributing a network called WeatherNation just as its deal to carry the Weather Channel is set to expire.
Although talks between the two companies are ongoing, DirecTV's decision to add WeatherNation is seen as a not-so-subtle threat that it is willing to drop the Weather Channel.
ON LOCATION: Where the cameras roll
Not only is DirecTV carrying WeatherNation, a small channel with very little reach or viewership, it has placed the network next to the Weather Channel on the dial, a move that could confuse viewers — and has already annoyed Weather Channel executives.
DirecTV, like many distributors, is eager to find ways to reduce programming costs. With sports programming driving up fees to carry channels such as Time Warner's TNT and TBS, distributors often try to squeeze smaller programmers as a way to save costs.
According to SNL Kagan, an industry consulting firm, the Weather Channel charges about 13 cents per subscriber per month.
Spokespeople for DirecTV and the Weather Channel declined to comment on their talks. The carriage agreement expires at the end of the year.
WeatherNation, based in Denver, was also used by satellite broadcaster Dish Network as a pawn when it was negotiating with Weather Channel three years ago. The two ultimately reached a new accord without viewers losing the network.
Box office top 10 of 2013
For the Weather Channel, the fight with one of its largest distributors comes at a crucial time. The network, co-owned by the private equity firms Bain Capital and Blackstone Group and Comcast Corp.'s NBCUniversal, has been making significant investments in talent and management in an effort to broaden its reach and appeal.
This month, the Weather Channel wooed popular "Good Morning America" weatherman Sam Champion away from ABC News to host a new morning show launching early next year. Not only will Champion instantaneously become the biggest face on the network, he will also serve in an executive role as managing editor.
Behind the scenes, the channel has also been bringing in executives with more entertainment experience. Last year, it hired David Clark as president. Clark's resume includes stints at the music channel Fuse and MTV. Also, former Fox Television Chairman Sandy Grushow joined the channel's board of directors.
Ratings for the Weather Channel, which often wins praise from viewers and public officials, are relatively small unless there is a big storm. Then its audience skyrockets. Last year, its reporting on Superstorm Sandy averaged close to 1.5 million viewers a day. Almost 40 million people watched at least a few minutes of the channel's storm coverage.
ON THE SET: movies and TV
But on a typical day it is averaging just over 200,000 viewers, according to Nielsen.
The Weather Channel has long sought to expand beyond forecasts without alienating its core audience of weather geeks. There have been some missteps along the way, such as when the channel began to program movies such as "Misery" and "The Perfect Storm" that have weather-related plots.
Some distributors and viewers complained the channel was moving too far away from its original mission, and the movies were dropped.
The network instead has started carrying more weather-related nonfiction shows such as "Highway Thru Hell," described as "a series about man versus Mother Nature," and "Breaking Ice," about ships that travel through ice-covered waters.
joe.flint@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-ct-directv-weather-20131226,0,3840158.story#ixzz2p4GNSl6R

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Timay

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
I had not heard of Weathernation until this thread...I looked at them online and then looked for a wx app in iTunes and yep, they have 2, a free one and a paid one and they look like a very good weather app.  We don't get it here as we are with Comcast, a part owner of weather channel.

Tim
Vantage Vue
Centennial, Colorado

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Re: WeatherNation on Directv!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
I recently bought some Blackstone stock.  I didn't realize they were in on TWC.  Just my luck.

If DirecTV dropped TWC, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Non-fiction shows. ???  That's what they're calling "reality" shows now?

Wow.  Just wow.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Timay

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
I used to watch TWC from time to time to see what was going on around the country - then a little later every time I tuned in, it was some dumb something (typical story, eh?) so I no longer even look at it. Weather Nation looks good and its studios are here in Denver.

Tim
Vantage Vue
Centennial, Colorado

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!   8-)  I had no idea they were there.   #-o
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
Think they're also on my WDTVLive box.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »
Roku too.

Also something called Weather4us

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
Ah, I was wrong..not on my WDTVLive; on my Sony Blu Ray.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »
I used to watch TWC from time to time to see what was going on around the country - then a little later every time I tuned in, it was some dumb something (typical story, eh?) so I no longer even look at it. Weather Nation looks good and its studios are here in Denver.

Tim
I won't get it either as I'm also with comcast.
The thing is Weather Nation won't last long if it tries to continue with weather only programming. There isn't enough of us weather geeks around to support it. That's why TWC changed it's programming to get other viewers who's interest isn't solely the X's and O's of weather , but in doing so they also alienated us.
Face it, we're a fringe group who's only fallback is mostly internet only weather sites.
I hope they survive in their current format but I doubt it.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
TWC got too big fer their britches and got greedy.  I knew they were done when NBC bought into them.

If WN stays focused, stays small and gets picked up by a few other distributors, they should be OK.  Especially if word of mouth talks them up.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »
TWC got too big fer their britches and got greedy.  I knew they were done when NBC bought into them.

If WN stays focused, stays small and gets picked up by a few other distributors, they should be OK.  Especially if word of mouth talks them up.

You said the magic word. Greed.
Now it's up to WN if they want to stay focused or get rich.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »
Especially if word of mouth talks them up.

This thread just twisted my arm :lol: into installing their Roku channel and checking out the future of interactive TV.  Thanks for the tip!

Given Time Warner's snub of carrying TWC in HD on our local cable system combined with a QAM channel mapping error between Time Warner and TiVo, I can't even receive TWC on my TV without disconnecting half of the electronics and feeding the cable directly into my TV.  TWC has been dead to me for a few months now.  They can keep Al Roker, named winter storms, and all of their other crap!  Long live WeatherNation.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
I've downloaded their app to my phone.  It looks ok.
I went to their site, and man is  it way too busy for my slow internet.  If you have unlimited bandwidth and really fast speeds, you might be able to look at it.  I'll just have to pass on that.

I understand that sites have to keep up with the Jones', but they could keep a less graphic, more text-based page or pages for us less fortunate.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
Folks with weather sites might consider plugging them.

Weather Nation - "What the other guys used to be."

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
Folks with weather sites might consider plugging them.

Weather Nation - "What the other guys used to be."

I have planned on doing that the next time I'm into the site.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
I've downloaded their app to my phone.  It looks ok.
I went to their site, and man is  it way too busy for my slow internet.  If you have unlimited bandwidth and really fast speeds, you might be able to look at it.  I'll just have to pass on that.

I understand that sites have to keep up with the Jones', but they could keep a less graphic, more text-based page or pages for us less fortunate.
I agree. Less graphic and more text.
There's no reason for eye candy if you're trying to attract weather geeks.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »
Website doesn't look bad. I have Dish where I am, so there's no viewing here, but it doesn't look bad.

I can remember when I was 6 or 7 years old and Marshall Seese and Heather Tesch first started "Your Weather Today". I watched it everyday from 6am to 9am. Then mom would make me get up and do something. Those were the good ol' days. That show was a little newsy at times, but it showed some good stuff, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't really begin noticing a big chance until around 08 or 09 when I was about 14. I hadn't watched it a lot with school and all, and I watched it for a little while and was disappointed. Local on the 8's + commericals take up 5/10 minutes per session, which I think is ridiculous. Should be locals every other 8.

We all have our wishes for the Roker Channel. They definitely let this guy down for sure, but that's a good lesson about money, wealth, and greed for a kid. If you do what you love, just be happy doing that. End of rant.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »
Watching WeatherNation now.  They showed a Davis VP-2 console from Iowa (I believe) showing -22F.

They also stated it was 8F in Nashville, TN and 83 in Miami, FL.  That IS quite a front!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »

WeatherNation 361
The Weather Channel 362

This is what I posted from Paul douglas a few years ago.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=7964.msg76205#msg76205

They are also working on cooperation with a few local tv stations around the US

I just found this network and that is the first thing I thought of "This is what the Weather Channel used to be and SHOULD be now." I wonder of TWC realizes that every time a DirecTV subscriber turns on the TV to check the weather and finds one of those stupid reality shows, they will have a new, better option to turn to.

anything